Cheap white backdrop

tom_fowler

<p>I am looking for a cheap white backdrop. Something I can hopefully fold up in my car and not take up too much space. Something I can ducktape almost anywhere like on a wall or on the side of my car. I was thinking about a sheet but I thought that it might be too thin and may not have the coverage I am looking for. It also may be a little too thin and see through. I am looking to have enough material for max two person full body shots. Maybe I need to look at my local fabric store to see if there is something thicker. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks! </p>

<p>Also let me say that I won't be using any lights just natural light so I will need it to look as pure white as possible. I also thought foam core but I can't find pieces big enough for a full person. I would have to tape at least four together to get that kind of coverage. </p>

<p>I'd be looking at seamless white paper. It gets damaged pretty easily, but the rolls are pretty long so you just cut off the damaged part and unroll some more. It won't fold up, but you should be able to fit a 6ft wide roll in your car easily enough. Savage seems to only come in widths of 53" or 107" wide (about 4 1/2 ft or 9 ft), but it's easy enough to cut narrower with a hacksaw.</p>

<p>Looking on-line, I see that white polyester tableclothes come fairly large for under $15, so check these out.</p>

<p>Every time I've tried the old bedsheet (cloth, tarp, canvas, etc.) backdrop, I've been done in by wrinkles and folds.</p>

<p>Unless you can totally blowout the wrinkles (by a stretch frame or via several stops of over exposure), they are persnickety.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>If it doesn't have to be wall-sized, perhaps an expandable backdrop on a steel frame would work. I have several, up to 5'x7' in size. They fold into three loops, and pop open easily (the folding part takes a little practice, out of earshot of children). They are light weight, and wrinkle free. The 5x7 model folds into a 2-1/2' circle and fits in a protective bag.</p>

<p>Except for seamless, it's very difficult not to have wrinkles in a backdrop. The secret is to keep it far enough behind the subject that it drops out of focus and they don't show up. Also, just ball it up so that the wrinkles are random -- they show less that way than if you fold it needly and the wrinkles are along straight lines.<br /><br />I seldom use a white backdrop but for black I use black felt from the local fabric shop. You can buy it in white. It's advantage is that it's a matte, non-sheen surface, and it's thick enough that as long as you don't have a light source directly behind it nothing shows through.<br /><br />Local fabric stores aside, look at <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com">www.bhphotovideo.com</a> under backdrops. I'm not sure of the brand name, but somebody makes a backdrop that is basically a roll of heavy paper about three fee wide and four feet long that rolls up. They also make a wider and longer version. It's available in a variety of colors including white and also graduated from gray to white (and other combinations). Unlike seamless, which gets ripped and dirty, it has some sort of coating that makes it sturdy and cleanable. It can be gaffer taped to the wall or mounted on a stand.</p>