Cheap way to make a snoot

bill_tincher

I seem to recall making them from something called Cinefoil - a black aluminum foil, and I

think it was made by Rosco. But you've got to make very certain that they're ventillated on

the sides - the SV's get hot enough, without something bottling up all that heat. I got away

with it, but be very careful if you do the same thing. Use something to protect your hands

from the heat - like heavy duty oven mitts. From experience, I DO NOT reccomend that you

do this - it's a last resort, and when I did it, I was definitely in the "young and stupid" days.

Yes, as Emre and Matt have said, blackwrap AKA Cinefoil is the answer. This isn't a bodge, the results may not look very pretty but it's the ideal solution because, unlike a 'proper' snoot you can make it whatever size/shape you want.

Heat is definately an issue, but no more so than with any other kind of snoot.

The only reason I stress caution is that when I did it, I had a few cases of smoke rising from

the improvised snoot - alleviated with better ventillation. Just do be careful if you make the

snoots from foil. The cake pan is also a good idea - but again, allow for ventillation of the

heat.

Use the Cine foil, but try clothes pins instead of gaffers. Hot lights like clamps, not tape. As

Matt says, whatch your heat. You won't catch the Cine foil on fire, but you might damage

your light if the heat builds up to much. I used to use heavy leather garden/work gloves

when working with hot lights.

• 2 weeks later...