Cheap muslins

steve_c6

I just went to a fabric/craft shop last night.. and found a few pieces of cloth that were reasonable (about US$30 for a 10'x15' piece).. its not muslin fabric (that was a bit more pricey) but it should do the trick.. i'm going to experiment w/ it tonight some.

I registered my name online with JoAnn Fabrics to get on their mailing list. So far, I've gotten two 50% off coupons for any reg. priced item in their stores. I purchased a 6 yard, 2 foot length of 120" wide white muslin for 3.50/yard, as opposed to $7/yard. This will get you a 10'x20' backdrop. You can use the muslin dyeing suggestions found online to make various colored backdrops for little $.

How big do you want. I know a painter here, he has painted some for me. I'm trying to get him to go into business. I just tell him what i want or show him something out of a catalog and he does it. He's about 95% close to the original. i've got some samples if you want to see. mabrown84@yahoo.com<div>00AL2a-20768584.thumb.JPG.2db0a7fb2cfb22e9ecd9d81ba83d700f.JPG</div>

Thomas,

I made quite a few backdrops for myself. I started out buying the fabric from Joann fabrics with the 50% off coupons like Mellisa said. (Buy 100 % cotton.) It worked ok, but I wanted thicker fabric. I ordered the 109" scenery muslin off this website.

www.dharmatrading.com.

I ordered a full bolt, so I got the most discount, and it was about the same price as Joann's. It was great for thickness. The only problem is that they didn't carry bleached muslin. So, if you are dying it, you need to use a darker color. I also ordered the fiber reactive dye from their site too. It was FABULOUS!!! I started out by using rit dye from the store and was disappointed with the results. They weren't vibrant enough. I have done 6 colors from dharma, and they are so vibrant. Use this website for instructions on dying backdrops.

http://www.betterphoto.com/exploring/MakingBackDrops.asp

Make sure you find out from dharma all the stuff you need to add to the dye bath. (I called them before I did it.) Good Luck!

• 3 years later...