Cheap film scanner for Linux?

Hello,

I've been lusting after a film scanner (none in particular) for a

while, and I can't seem to resist anymore. So I'm in the market.

However there are a couple criteria that I must meet: 1) I can't spend

loads of cash, so I'm thinking about something in the < $500 range; 2)

I run Linux (Debian).

Since I noticed some other Linux users on this forum, I thought I

might look for advice from you guys. Anyone have any suggestions on

something in my price range? And any experience with different film

scanners under Linux?

My only film scanner experience under Linux is with the Canon FS4000, which probably doesn't quite qualify as cheap, but some points worth noting:

<ul>

<li>Check compatibility very carefully. Some scanners (including the FS4000) work when connected via SCSI, but not via USB or parallel port.

<li>Vuescan is great software, but not free (in either sense). If you're not comfortable with closed source software, you'll have to find a scanner compatible with <A href=http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html>SANE</A>. Vuescan supports a greater range of scanners than SANE.

<li>Search the relevant mailing lists and newsgroups for experiences with the scanner and your particular distro. Just because it works with one kernel, doesn't mean it will work with all (this is especially true of USB scanners - generally you will need an up to date kernel).

<li>Stick with the major brands. I had a Jenoptik film scanner once, so I know what I'm talking about...

</ul>

<p>Jesse, you didn't mention what type of film you shoot. In general Epson has been

excellent in providing information for the Linux community and I would recommend their

scanners, Nikon has been so-so and I have heard complaints that Canon is not very

helpful. </p>

<p>I use an Epson Perfection 2450, which is a flatbed scanner with trans. attachment,

with Vuescan and have been very happy with the results. However, I shoot primarily 4x5

and 2 1/4 transparencies. While it does have masks for 4x5, 2 1/4 and 35mm I can't speak

about the quality you would get if you scan primarily 35mm</p>

Definately check <A href="http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html">the sane page

</A> and do a little homework before you take the plunge.</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

Woops, good point. I do shoot only 35mm at this time (and for the forseeable future), and I wonder if a flatbed would give me good enough quality for that. I've been looking at the Minolta Dual Scan II, which looks pretty reasonable. It's supported by VueScan, but unfortunately it doesn't look as good for SANE. I would prefer to use something that is completely open source...

Jesse,

Unless you are going to alter the source yourself I would personally go for Vuescan (this is coming from someone who has been running Debian since the very early days and who, while an open source advocate, is not impartial to a good bit of closed source software on Linux!) It is an excellent piece of software and Ed Hamrick is very responsive to problems (and would no doubt fix a problem far sooner than you could.) He is also receptive to enchancement requests if he thinks it will result in further sales.

$40 with unlimited free upgrades is a bargain if you consider that it amounts to only about 8% of yor budgeted cost for a scanner solution. It was one of the best $40 I ever spent on software!