Chauncey Walden, how do you use your 75/14 Perigraphe?

dan_fromm2

<p>I ask because my 60 arrived today. The rear mount threads are too large to stuff into a #1. It appears that mounted completely in front a #1 it will vignette mechanically a little on 2x3. Might <em>just</em> cover, will be iffy. </p>

<p>I think the cells have to so close together than mounting them on bushings in a #1 -- I think this <em>may</em> be possible -- will put both in contact with the blades. So putting it in shutter is also very iffy.</p>

<p>I tried stuffing it in the #3 Ilex electronic that's in the closet. It actually screws in, the Ilex' front threads have been cut very sloppily. Have to find the control box to open the shutter to check for vignetting.</p>

<p>I don't know what its back focus is, am pretty sure it won't work mounted properly on a board on a 2x3 Speed. Bodged it on to a piece of cardboard, tried it on the speed anyway. The cardboard acts like a slightly recessed lensboard. No go, I fear.</p>

<p>Practical issues of implementation aside, it is very pretty. Its mechanical design is cute, there's no mechanical vignetting, i.e., all of the exit pupil is visible, over 60 degrees off-axis. Cos(theta)^4 will be a killer and I'm sure the imaqe quality is pretty poor really far off axis.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Dan,<br>

No problems on the 4x5 Speed Graphic, of course, I also can use a 65 Super Angulon on it. Is the 2x3 Speed really deeper than a 4x5? You may be surprised at the off axis image - the 75 is sharp to the corners on 4x5. Maybe you need to send that 60 to me to check it out;-)<br>

Chauncey</p>

<p>Chauncey, thanks for the helpful reply.</p>

<p>You cheated. A 75 is a very long lens. A 4x5 Pacemaker Speed's minimum flange-to-film distance is 66.7 mm, 4x5 Anny is 65.1. You're home free with a 75 on a flat board.</p>

<p>My little treasure is a 60. A 2x3 Pacemaker Speed's minimum flange-to-film distance is 61.9 mm. I'm near the edge, on the wrong side.</p>

<p>I tried it a slighly recessed piece of cardboard. It may just have made infinity then but I don't think it will do that with a flat board. I'll try again with a better board and look more closely. The wretched lens' mount threads are slightly larger than a #1 hole. Hmm. I have have a board with a larger hole that will do, have to measure a few lenses.</p>

<p>I don't like the idea, but my best bet may be stuffing it into an Ilex #3 and using it on the Century or one of the Crowns.</p>

<p>Thanks for the kind offer. You can't use it. You want that 90, which is still available. The seller's name is Daniel Ramisse, he's a nice guy, his written English is good. Its been up for a while, he may be ready to negotiate.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Chauncey, thanks for the reply. My shortest lens for 2x3 is a 35. I always focus it, sometimes at infinity.</p>

<p>And thanks for pushing a little. I made a better flatter improvised board, checked focus with a 12x magnifier. So mounted, the lens will focus about 4 mm through and object around 100' away. So I think I'll send it to the machine shop with a board to have the board drilled and a retaining ring made.</p>

<p>Is you Speed a Pacemaker or an older one? I ask because mine is a Pacemaker, slowest timed shutter speed 1/30. With ISO 100 film, I think my little Perigraphe will be mainly a high noon lens.</p>

<p>About your loving wife, I take it that you have good health insurance. Mrs. Fromm is more, um, supportive, but then I let her get what she wants for the garden and our library.</p>

<p>Madame is at times surprisingly supportive. One of my non-photographic projects is translating and cooking my way through an enormous Mexican cookbook. Kitchen Spanish, especially odd local names for ingredients, is poorly represented in dictionaries. The monster cookbook explains little. There is, however, a book "Diccionario Enciclopedico de Gastronomia Mexicana" that explains much. Unfortunately rare, out of print, and sought after. The last copy to come to market that I'm aware of was offered on Amazon for $500 and sold. May not have gone for that much. Anyway, I mentioned it and the price to herself and she said "If you need it, buy it." I flinched.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Wrong again. The rear cell was screwed out a couple of turns. This increased the focal length.</p>

<p>With the rear cell screwed fully in it won't make infinity on my 2x3 Speed. So much for that.</p>

<p>I've verified that it vignettes on 2x3 when in front of a Compur/Copal/Prontor #1 shutter. The rear of the barrel hides the exit pupil from the corners. I calculate that it will just work on 2x3 screwed into an Ilex #3. Hmm. Stay tuned, we'll get there somehow.</p>