Changing Direction-Building a Portfolio

It is the beginning of a new year and a time to set goals for 2007. I

have set 2. The first is to upgrade my inhouse (home) operations into a full

service store space w/custom enlargements/framing and a small studio space.

The second is to start to branch out my portrait/wedding business in new

directions like advertising. My question is how does a portrait/wedding

photographer approach an advertising agency, when you have no "advertising"

examples. Is it the content they look for, or your style and flair? My

existing portfolio would consist of wedding/portrait/travel/documentary/with a

scattering of food and web work I did for a local Inn. Should I collect my

best 20 of what I have in an 8x10 folio and just go knocking, or what is the

procedure?? Any comments would be most appreciated.

Sean

www.lucidmusings.com

http://lucidmusingslight.blogspot.com

Hi Sean,

Whilst in Australia I had for some years the services of a 'Photo Manager' whose job was dealing with the clients whether ad agencies or other...and charging 40%...but he saved me doing all the invoicing locating the clients etc....I just got my cut straight into my bank account. I don't know if these guys are still around...but what was of greater importance was the portfolio content. I had to start somewhere and to that extent put aside a certain amount of funds and time to get the required shots for the market target segment that I was aiming for in my particluar field...which was at the time food and jewellery. Needless to say I think I must have invested around $2000 in the portfolio I put together with the type of work that I knew would compete..... and this was basically fresh new shots in keeping with what the trends were back then in regards to the subject matter...(I'm talking mid 90s)as I feel that most folios should be works in progress anyway...it was up to the manager to do the rest and pitch my style when the client was some one that he knew would greet my images with an open mind.

The other way is as you mentioned...go knocking and try your luck there as well....but presentation is paramount in all ways as well as people and selling skills.. I have known Wedding photographers hiring professional models, hair & make up so as to have top looking shots in their folios.....even though the subject matter wasn't a 'real bride' as such. Nevertheless my last assignment in Oz that come through my manager was to do the coporate catalogue for MacDonalds...nation wide.

All the best

Artur