Has anyone here tested CF Systems ColorNeg Photoshop plug-in with scanned film?

It's supposed to work very much like using CC filters in a color darkroom. Any

comparisons of your old workflow vs. ColorNeg?

I plan to test it a bit in the coming weeks - I would appreciate educated

opinions, not like the thread I found from 2006:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HK4d

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't regard CMYK (i.e., CC filter equivalents) as an improvement to the usual RGB work flow in Photoshop. I doubt there is a simple correlation to the filter stack on a conventional enlarger, which must compensate for the enlarger itself in addition to the negative. Frankly, Photoshop has all of the tools I need in this regard, along with calibration, to make transportable image files.

I downloaded the demo and used it with my Minolta MultiScan Pro. The Minolta software is useless for scanning negs hence my interest. If you have a lot of different types of negatives then it could save a lot of time. As for me I standardized on just one type of neg (Fuji Reala) so my Photoshop action gave me the same results as his plugin. So I didn't buy it.

Jim

I'm sort of in the same boat as Jim Hein: just downloaded the demo and am trying it out. My main motivation was less than satisfactory highlight detail, when I try to scan as a slide and invert scans myself. CFSystem describes Photoshop invert as a linear process, and says this is not what you need to do.

I'm experimenting with some Fuji Reala, shot in daylight with a grey card in most of the shots. It seems to be giving me very good skin highlight detail, and the grey cards are coming out neutral. Kodak Gold25 seems a nice choice for profile, regardless of the film being Fuji.

FYI, I'm getting my "linear" scans via Minolta Scan Utility with my Scan Elite 5400, following the procedure CFSystems describes for acquiring the file with my scanner:

Scan as slide, auto exposure on, and output 16 bit linear.

The one alarming thing is the spikes at both ends of the histogram. I've tried it with black and white neg scans, and not sure if I like the results, looks to be a lot of posterizing in the highlights, could be my settings though.

• 2 months later...

I've been using it a lot lately, and it's by FAR the best way to scan/correct negative film that

I've found so far, though admittedly I haven't tried everything. They just did a major revision

to it as well.

It still takes some time/skill to get the hang of it. My tip is to pick a neutral/colorless area

carefully and then apply that setting to the whole roll. But it works. Cheap enough...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'll do more scanning later this week.

I really like the work flow using ColorNeg. A 16-bit linear scan captures all of the information that's available, so I shouldn't ever need to rescan (unless I made an error). I just plow through the scans and leave all of the editing until later. I can always go back to the original scan and re-edit if needed.

Yep! Typical neg scans I get on my Epson flatbed using Epson Scan. That indescribable sickly cyan tint permeating throughout

the entire image like some kind of undercolor. It's like a bad stain you can't get completely rid of even using Bon Ami type edits.

Screws up the image's color table.

You've sold me on ColorNeg with this one. Thanks, Robert, for taking the time to post these results. Much appreciated.