CF II card size

darklights

I just purchased another, 1 gig, CF II card from simple tech. I was

looking around for specs on it, then began wandering to other sites

comparing cards etc. I got to Lexars' site and saw that they had an 8

gig card. Two silly questions here... 1) who, in the real people

world, can afford a monster like that 2) Can a Rebel 2k or

Drebel\300D even use one of those beasts?

Well, being a film camera, I think the Rebel2k would have a pretty hard time using a CF card of any capacity...

But yes, the DRebel/300D can handle bigger cards such as an 8 gig. The keyword to look for is "FAT32 support", which DRebel has. FAT32 support is required for any size over 2gig.

<i>who, in the real people world, can afford a monster like that</i><p>

Photographers, or the entities that employ them, who cover sports or news.<p>

<i>For the same price as the 1 gig card you can buy an IMAGE TANK II, Super Digibin</i><p>

That won't be real useful to the guy covering the SuperBowl, having to stop after filling a card and transfer to an external device.

"For the same price as the 1 gig card you can buy an IMAGE TANK II, Super Digibin, or similar portable, storage device which will hold 20 gig of data. No comparison. imo."

I find transfering images on a shoot a pain and waste of valuable time. Using large CF cards has much less down time. The best time to transfer images is after the shoot...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Transfer time to a hard drive isn't really an issue. Takes me about 5 seconds to switch cards. I'm shooting on the second card while the first one transfers to the hard drive. Of course I guess a lot can happen in 5 seconds if you're covering news or sports, but for the rest of us, downtime isn't much of an issue.

I'd much rather use a bunch of 512MB cards than a single 2, 4, 6 or 8GB card. That way my images are spread out so if one device fails, all is not lost. CF cards don't fail often but they do fail. I just had an old 64MB CF card go belly up on me.