CF Cards. Sandisk vs kingston vs Lexar?

brandonhamilton

I have found these three different brands of Compact flash cards on

the market, and was wondering if there were amy major diffrences in

quiality or dependability? I believe Lexar is the most popuplar, but

I find the kingston and sandisk to be a little cheaper.

Should I go cheaper? (I am on a budget)

Thanks for any advice.

I read that scandisk are faster for Canon and Lexar are faster for Nikon. The only time it matters while on camera is when in burst mode and the buffer fills up.

They can be much faster for downloading to computer. If you have multiple cards then this isn't much of an issue either.

However, I have read that the faster cards put less of a drain on the battery.

<p><i>What is the difference between the type I and type II cards?</i>

<p>Physical size. Compact Flash cards can come in several sizes -- type I is smaller (thinner, actually) and type II is larger.

<p>For example most flash memory cards are type I, but microdrives are type II.

<p>However you may be thinking of something like "Sandisk Ultra II" cards, in which case it's not a type II card (by physical dimensions), but rather just a faster version of flash memory card.

so is there anything I need to look out for when getting a compact flash card for my D100? I am currently looking at the 1 and 2GB flash cards from kingston, sandisk, and lexar.

I found: SanDisk - 2GB CompactFlash Card Type 1

Does that type 1 fit in the camera?

Also, should i really worry about 40x vrs. 80x? Is the price vs. performance worth it at this point? Like i said, i need volume more then speed it think.

You need to go out and Google benchmarks for reading & writing, data & images with CF cards. There's a ton of information on the internet.<br><br>

The current "hot" product used by a lot of (at least European) photojournalists is the Transcend 512MB with a data transfer rate of around 16.5MB/sec.<br><br>

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-160-118&depa=0" target="_blank">This card is ~$55 at newegg.com</a>.

Aaron how will you back up your photos?

I back up to CD'R so any card bigger then 512meg is more inconvient then convient. I take an external CF card reader and burn right to CD'R in 3 - 4 minutes, plastic backup. If you plan to backup to DVD then the bigger card maybe worth it.

My recomendation is get a 512meg CF card unless using DVD for backup.

Speed is mostly limited by the camera these days, not the cards. Loads of 40+ speed cards around, few cameras that hit this speed. I have had a Transcend 1GB 45x for a year now, works fine and in my E-1 is just as fast as the "Write Accelerated" 45x Lexar.

Don't wast your money on the 60 or 80 speed cards...

1. No major differences in quality or dependability.

2. Speed is not a major issue unless your shooting style is very rapid fire-and then your D100 is limited by its buffer, more than anything else.

3. Don't buy cards bigger than you actually need. You determine this optimum size by

a.) figuring out how often you can get to alternate storage (a portable drive or computer hard disk_

and

b) figuring out how often you are willing to take the 10 seconds it takes to switch cards

and

c) noting what size of file (raw,jpeg) you are shooting

and finally

d) reminding yourself that you almost never considered 36 shots a roll particularly a nuisance...

Last of all, if you are going to back up on CD-R just get enough 512 meg cards to last you for the longest session you anticipate-one card fits one cd, more or less...

> I back up to CD'R so any card bigger then 512meg is more inconvient then convient.

If you're backing up to CDs you might want to consider the Delkin 640 Mb card: a perfect match for a CD's capacity. I back up to DVDs, so I've found 1GB cards to work out well. (I use both Sandisk Ultra II's and Lexar 40X's in my Canon 10D, and have been happy with both; the Sandisks seem to be a hair faster, but not enough to notice without a stopwatch.)

• 1 year later...
Sandisk Ultra 2 vs Lexar 80X - definitely the Lexar is faster, I really notice the difference when I 'run out' of Lexar and am forced to use the slower Sandisk. You should seriously take into consideration how much a 'missed' shot is worth too. I shoot kids mostly and do some weddings, and there is nothing worse than missing action because your buffer is full. For me - missed shots are missed $$$ and therefore the extra spent on the card is an investment. If you have double bodies, lenses and flashes then using a smaller card is not such an issue as you just pick up the other camera and keep shooting, changing the full card when the action stops. This may not be an issue though if you only have the one body and therefore having multiple smaller cards would suit you for back up purposes. I use 1GB cards (6 in total) and feel safer knowing that all my eggs aren't in one basket so to speak. I have had the horror of a card write error and luckily Lexars image recovery saved those images. So now - in 2006 - which is faster - the Ultra 3 or the Lexar Pro 133X - I'm going with the Lexar I think???!!!

• 1 year later...

Now, it is 2007 and I am trying to figure out what the best Compact Flash card is for us. We need speed but $200. for a card is abit high. We tend to use the continues shooting Drive " Mash the shutter botton and let her rip" Motor Cycle races, Race for the Cure, my Favorite Nesting Eagles flying in with Prey and out with the spoils. I don't want to miss the perfect angle on the Bird and Prey or wing position so I mash it...works for me. But I need a bigger and faster card to keep up with me.

Any one have info on Cards?

Shutterbug78<div>00NQIv-39980684.jpg.8c3ff10a03ef43949232d4597629de41.jpg</div>