Catching theives

Few agencies retrieve a "lot" of stolen cameras, or a lot of any other expensive merchandise, except cars, maybe. Those items tend to change hands quickly, and the people who buy them know full well they're hot. The theft of things like cameras, computers, Hi-Fi systems, and jewelry, etc., is a multi-BILLION industry in American, and they recover only a small percentage each year. Tell your friend to buy insurance next time.

The sad fact is that most people (hopefully, excepting the folks who hang out on PN) don't record their serial numbers. That makes recovery after a theft virtually impossible. Even if the gear is found, the owner can't prove ownership. Insurance is your best bet in any case, but write those numbers down!

Bill (retired from San Diego County Sheriff's Department)

I posted a long response to Bill's statement, agreeing with him and suggesting that in addition to keeping serial numbers, it is a good idea if your equipment is stolen to report it to the police and make sure they record it in the NCIC database so that if it is ever recovered, it will be returned to you.

For whatever reason, that message was removed. I have to confess, I have no idea why the concept of reporting stolen items to the police would be considered unacceptable here on PN. But whatever, I was just trying to be helpful. If this gets deleted as well, I guess I have my answer.

How about PN having an area on the registered users page that would allow users to keep a list of there equipment and serial numbers, then if something was stolen it would be easy to add this item(s) to the stolen kit list.

My insurance company insists on it at each renewal. They have an area on line that I can list everything with a serial number and replacement value.

Just a thought.

Simon

PS

There is a couple of companies in the UK that you can register equipment with that the police can search for serial numbers if they recover items. In the UK, if they recover somthing but can prove it was stolen from someone (i.e. can't find the original owner) they have to give it back to the person they recovered it from even though they know it may be stolen!

My point, before it got deleted, was that although listing a serial number on PN or any other website is good and can be helpful, making a police report and having it entered into the NCIC computer (in the US) is better. The police check serial numbers of recovered stolen equipment of all kinds against that database. They don't go to PN and look up serial numbers - there is no time for that kind of thing, and how many of them have ever heard of PN anyway? They have a centralized database for serial numbers of stolen equipment, and they use it.

In addition, in the US in many jurisdictions, pawn brokers and others who might end up with stolen goods unintentionally are required to submit lists and serial numbers of goods they receive in pawn or purchase to the police, who again, check them against NCIC.

If the item is found, it is returned - even years later.

I don't know why telling people this is against PN policy. I hope this one does not get moderated.

In a logical sense, if I lost a dog, I'd put up a poster in the locations where the dog might actually be. It would make no sense to have an advertisement running in the New York Times.

However, if my dog were a valuable show dog that might have been stolen and could be transported anywhere and sold, then an advertisement in the New York Times might make sense.

If a camera is stolen, what are the chances that some pawn broker somewhere is going to check PN's stolen serial number list? In many jurisdictions, they are required by law to check with the local police, who in turn check it against the national NCIC database. I don't see a PN serial number list as being especially valuable.

If I'm mistaken, somebody please explain that to me.

Hi Wigwam

Unfortunately, he police in the UK are not all using the same databases...and most of them don't even talk to each other (databases that is) If something was stolen from me, I would report it to GMP (Greater Manchester Police) but if it was recovered in Cheshire, Cheshire police would not be able to search GMP's database for serial numbers. Technology at work! (Heck when two small girls were murdered a couple of years ago two in a high profile case, adjacent police forces couldn't even swap information to catch the guy who did it)

We are supposed to be getting a new national system, but if it's anything like the National health system it will be years late, over budget and full of ....! but if your goods turn up in Scotland, back to square one.

We have a TV show in the UK called "Crime Watch" which used to feature a table full of stolen items with the line "do you recognise any of these items...if so contact such and such police force" The items were mainly higher value - silverware, paintings etc. It hi-lighted the problem Police forces here have in tracking stolen goods.

I don't know if pawn shops have the same requirements to report serial numbers here.

I have heard that insurance companies will often contact police with a list of equipment and serial numbers asking if they can search their database. This my be an urban myth though.

I do take your point though about police forces not having the time to trawl through endless web sites searching for info regarding a few thousand dollars worth of photo gear.

My original idea was to help other photographers record there info just in case some low life out there walked off with their kit. I guess it comes under the heading of ? Must do that? - a bit like backups of your hard drive, everyone means to do it but.... I just thought as there are a lot of members of PN, our collective kit must add up to a couple of million bucks, lets prompt people with a reminder and a facility to record the info.

Charles - I didn't realise that you could add fields. I'm off to have a look at that now.

I did hear a story of a guy who printed out all the serial numbers of his photographic kit on a piece of paper along with ? If you have pinched this bag ? here is a list of the serial numbers that will be passed to the police? and laminated it. Placing a copy inside his bag. His bag was stolen from a wedding shoot and two days later handed in to the police by ?Mr J Public? stating he had ?found? it. Again this may be one of those urban myths... it happened to a friend of a friend of a friend.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Sorry to hear that there is no national database of stolen goods in the UK, you'd think it would be a fairly simple matter. I used enter serial numbers into NCIC, as well as the state database, CCIC, and that was back in the 1980's.

One thing to consider if one's kit gets nicked and one wants to post it online 'just in case' - just add the serial number to your signature along with a 'contact me if you find this' message. Then Google is sure to archive it every time you post a message, no matter where. Should make it easier to track you down if someone does a casual Google search. But even that is a bit of a long shot, I'm afraid.