Carrying tripods on an airline - Southwest in particular

gsbhasin

<p>This is a USA specific question.<br>

How do you carry tripods while flying domestic? I am flying Southwest airlines.<br>

Do they let it carry on if it is small and fits in a bag? Or do you need to check it in either as a luggage item or in checked-in suitcase?<br>

Thanks,<br>

gurpreet</p>

<p>As in the other thread, I've always put a tripod in hold baggage unless it's something extremely lightweight (Zipshot, VTP-777, gorillapod...) - but my "proper" tripods have been too big to consider. However, I recently picked up a Velbon REXi L, and it might be short enough to consider. My feeling is that if it fits inside the carry-on bag and doesn't look like it can be used like a baseball bat, you might be okay. I'd be nervous about calling it my extra carry-on item, but I've tended to reserve that for the camera (or a laptop), especially when there's a weight limit - my camera + lens can take 4kg off my carry-on bag if I put it round my neck...</p>

<p>I put the tripod in checked luggage to avoid potentially having to check it later at the whim of TSA. Unless there is a need to use it in an airplane or an airport (which raises separate issues) or there is no checked luggage otherwise, I don't see it as important to have. Weight restrictions maybe? But I account for that when packing. In fact, I always come in below weight in case I do need to check things suddenly. Cameras and non support gear get the priority for carry on. I use a conforming carry on sized hardened Pelican case. Even if the aircraft staff required a last minute decision that it had to go below (with all the babytoddler strollers) for some reason when boarding, its locked up and it will get picked up when disembarking, not at luggage pick up. </p>

<p>I can shoot all sorts of stuff without a tripod. I shoot nothing without cameras batteries ect. I would wear at least one camera and lens like Andrew if the case had to go below.</p>

<p>My tripod goes into checked luggage on Southwest (which I fly frequently) and other airlines as well. Have never tried to do carry on or go through security with a tripod. In the context of not being able to carry a baseball bat, golf club etc. onboard, I would expect security to have an issue with something that could theoretically be used as a large and heavy club.</p>

<p>The only time I've had security query my bag contents was when they asked me to take the lenses out so they could see what was in it. The lenses in the bag were a 200 f/2, 150-500, 85 f/1.4, 14-24, 90mm macro, 50mm, 28-200, 8mm, 35mm T/S... so they ended up with two plastic trays of lenses and an empty bag to X-ray (and I nearly missed the plane). On the other hand, at one point I got to see them X-ray my lenses, which was cool. My usual problem is carrying too many laptops with me; there was a time when (for complicated reasons) I had four cellphones (in pockets) and five laptops on me. This was fine until the "please put phones in your bag and take out all laptops" sign, at which point I nearly missed my flight. These days, I'm getting quite efficient at removing three laptops and a tablet from my bag in a hurry. I guess they figure a terrorist would have picked something easier or less expensive to take on a plane.<br />

<br />

Like Craig, I've always figured that a tripod looks a lot like a weapon, especially with the accessory spikes, and that claiming that it's $1000 of carbon fibre and a bit inefficient for whacking people with isn't really an excuse. There have been reports of people using wooden tripods with spikes as a way of fending off people who were unduly aggressive, so it's probably justified.</p>

<p>Just went to / from Tucson AZ carry-on was a roll around gear bag with a 3-pc CF strapped to the outside which was no problem didn't even generate a second look. I do however understand that the TSA can be fickle and the rules change from day to day. I did inquire before I left and was told it would not be an issue, my tripod would not fit in my check bag, nor would it fit in my carry-on (roll around gear bag).</p>

<p>I doubt if Southwest would object to a tripod which fits in a carry-on bag. However, I always pack the tripod in checked baggage. A tripod large enough to be useful won't fit in carry-on, and there's not enough room in my camera bag for another lens, much less a tripod. A tripod strapped to the outside of a carry-on bag would probably work, as long as the entire package fits in the template near the gate. Loose, would probably count as a second carry-on. It depends on how crowded the plane is. Southwest is surprisingly mellow, and still allows 50 pound bags.</p>

<p>I don't want to face last minute decisions if the TSA or airline rejects the tripod or carry-on item. It's bad enough to be treated like a criminal throughout the boarding process. Most airlines now have gate checking for bags. It goes into a special compartment and doesn't cost extra. The airline does it to reduce boarding time and congestion. Don't try this with Spirit Air, however. They will sock you with a $100 surcharge. With Spirit, bathroom privileges are extra.</p>

• 5 years later...

The TSA specifically allows tripods in carry on luggage per their website:

Tripods

Carry On Bags: Yes

Checked Bags: Yes

Tripods

I'm going to print out that page and put it in my carry on bag, just in case there is a question about it.

Note that even at the bottom of that page, it does say, "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

• Like 1

I've never tried carrying a tripod with spiked feet in hand baggage, but I remain a little alarmed that it might be considered okay (though as suggested, I don't think it'd do more damage than swinging a solid metal head around). I've been known to take a Tamrac ZipShot (which is tiny, but not very stable) on a plane, usually by accident because I buried it in my camera bag; I've left anything bigger to hold baggage. With some trepidation, for some of my more expensive bits of carbon fibre.

You are not allowed to carry walking sticks, ski poles, etc. primarily because they have sharp metal tips. A tripod with spiked feet might pass muster with the TSA, but it is more likely they would be flagged and banned. Do you feel lucky?

If it's small enough to fit in a carry-on bag, it's small enough to fit in a checked bag.

I carry with me on-board 2 tripods (Manfrotto and Gitzo CF) , each with retractable spiked feet. These have been noted during X-ray inspection, but nothing untoward has eventuated. To each tripod, an airline flight label is attached and this is common for a lot of items taken on-board.

My Black Diamond trekking pole always travels in checked-through luggage.

• Like 1

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

• 1 month later...

The spikes on most tripods are removable and it's a good idea to remove them once in a while to clean the threads and prevent them from seizing. If I am carrying on the tripod It would just take two or three minutes to remove the spikes and place them in a plastic bag in checked baggage and the screw them back in once you need the pod at your destination. No potential concerns then with TSA. I always check my pods so it's never an issue. In CONUS or the Caribbean if I am flying exclusively to shoot images I will upgrade to first class so I get a generous baggage allowance for winter clothing or accessories. The generous baggage allowance helps make up the cost difference for baggage especially if I am carrying an under water housing and flashes and upgrading to first class in CONUS is not crazy expensive like it is for international flying where you are truly pampered. I am not a professional so I don't have to justify the expense to myself or a client. I have purchased TSA. Prechek though that is not a guarantee that I will have a ticket through the prechek line but it does help. My wife does not understand this but I try to diplomatically jockey for the front of the line by showing up and getting in line early so I don't have to look for overhead space. This would be very helpful with South West since there is often no assigned seating. I fly Delta much of the time because I like the predictability of that airline and I live in the Southeast where Delta has a presence . I am flying a lot these days for work and so have been receiving more upgrades. The earlier you can board the easier it is to fit you 15-25 thousand dollar photography investment safely into the overhead. Forgive me if this is an under estimate as I am certain it is for some.

Good hunting.

Just wondering, did anyone ever check a tripod by itself?

Just put a baggage tag on it?

Last year coming back from Hawai'i, I had two free checked bags, and only one bag to check.

I also had one of those roll-up bamboo mats that I am sure everyone who has been there knows about.

I put a tag on the rolled up mat and sent it through. Interesting, it didn't come down to the carousel,

but was put in the special place for things that can't go down the carousel. I suppose it could have

been crushed by a bag.

Probably not the best way for an expensive tripod, though.

-- glen