Carrying film on a plane

marcelo_p._lima

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to take massive

amounts of film on an international flight. Now that many airports

are installing high-dose X-Ray for checked luggage, checking in the

film is out of the question. What could be the best solution ? Asking

for a visual check at X-Ray stops, using huge lead bags...?

Put the film in ziplock bags so that they're easy to inspect and carry them in a separate bag up to the x-ray gate. Send everything else through x-ray but ask for a hand check of "professional film". Avoid debates about film speed. So far, this has never failed me. I understand that lead bags are a bad idea in priciple since they invite the operator to turn up the juice in order to see what's hidden.

I opted for a lead bag when flying to Mexico City, because there all bags go through an x-ray machine when clearing customs. You could, I suppose flag down a customs inspector for a hand check (of the 10 rolls of film you are allowed to bring in duty-free). Customs officers are like bumble bees. Don't bother them, and hope they don't bother you.

Requesting hand inspection does have some limitations.

First, at Heathrow in mid-January, I was refused a visual check: I simply could not pass unless I put the film through the machine.

When I shoot 220, I wrap the exposed roll in aluminum foil to avoid fogging the edges. In Valencia last month, each of my carefully wrapped rolls was quite carefully unwrapped to ensure that it was, in fact, only exposed film that had been wrapped to prevent fogging.

I gave up, and simply stashed the film in my carry-on bag, where it was xrayed. Since it was mostly Velvia, the machine/visual inspections did no damage.

I too have been refused a visual inspection--in Athens. No other airport refused in the past couple of European trips I made. I wouldn't take "vast" amounts of film with me, however. You can purchase film in most civilized countries without too much trouble. A dozen rolls of 36 exp. 35mm film would do me on my trips. I did carry the film in a lead bag, and had no problems with the results. The new equipment being installed in some of the big international airports probably would zap it even through the lead bag, however. All bags at this time don't go through the high powered equipment. Shave, cut your hair, and wear clean clothes and it will probably go your way.

Marcelo, if you ask for a hand-check in a UK airport you probably won't be granted one. I think that the US CAA gives you the right to have film hand checked (just give them plenty of time to do this, and make it easy by packing film in plastic bags).

UK airports have installed the high-power Xray machines for hold luggage, but don't warn travellers about their destructive effects on film. The UK magazine 'Amateur Photographer' ran a campaign last year to try to get airports to do hand-checking, and won the agreement of BAA head of security, but this decision was later reversed and the current situation is that all carry-on luggage must go through the Xray machine.

I find this very annoying as I tend to travel to places where you can't buy or process 120. Last October I carried 50 rolls of Astia/Velvia to East Africa and was forced to have it Xrayed (fortunately there were no ill effects). I'm prepared to have low-speed film Xrayed, but I would also like to try travelling with some of the Ilford 3200, and I'm not as confident about having this Xrayed. 50 rolls of film weight a fair amount, and many of the airlines are simultaneously tightening up carry on restrictions to 6kg (try packing an RZ, 50 rolls of film and keeping everything below 6kg). I'm not prepared to trust either camera or film to checked luggage.

If you can detect some pessimism here, you're quite correct! I really don't know the answer. I wouldn't use a lead lined bag in checked luggage, since the new machines purposefully turn the Xray power up quite high to see through this sort of thing. As for carry-on, I'm not sure if they change the Xray power. For small amounts of 120 you may be able to carry unwrapped film in pockets (since it won't trigger the metal detector).

The first rule is NEVER put in in you checked in bagage. The new sanners (ctx5000) will penatrate lead bags, if it does not recognise something the computer controling it auto maticly up's the power till it does, or gives up ant tells the operator.

They dont scann all bags but you never know when you may get hit. The exception hear is Manchester (UK) which uses a ctx5000 on all to be checked in bags before you check them in. dont remember if they have warning signs.

So far i have had no bad expeiences carying film in my had cary I have even caried tmax 3200 which when i developed had been half exposed - no noticible damage on either the shots or the unexpose section.

With 120 roll film i usualy put it in a large jacket pocket (10 roll - 2 pro packs) but you cant do this with 35mm because of the can.

In the US there are now reports of some airports using these scanners randomly on cary on bagage. but there you have the right to a hand inspection. In most of europe you will be refused. Question of liability if the airport gave you an hand check and you got a bomb on they could be sued.

What botheres me most about the ctx5000 scanners it that CCD cells degrade when exposed to x-rays. they dont just die but degrade graduly, the more they get exposed the less sensitive they become. I dont know the treshholds involved and can get no one( nikon, kodak, pentax ) to to give me x-ray tolerance specs on the ccd cels used in their light meteres, but buy a ccd from an electronics shop and you can get the spec. from what i have seen of the hobby ccd cels the threshold is very ear the norm on x-ray machines and well below the capabilities of the ctx5000.

If i compare the picture takes when my p&s was new compaired to now there is certainly a diferance. whether this is aging (its 3 years old) or x-rays i will never know

For me the botom line is - hand carry all cameras - camcorders - light meteres

Julian

To put this into perspective, none of the above correspondents have reported problems with X rays. I certainly haven't, and I have put 400 ASA film into checked luggage (although this was before I realised they gave it such high doses). Even 400 ASA films should survive several passes through X ray machines. Given that you wish to take 'massive' amounts through, and you are limited in the amount of hand luggage you can take, you might have no alternative but to check the film in.

It is worth remembering why airline companies have this policy. It is to stop people being killed. I certainly feel safer knowing that all luggage is X rayed, whatever the minor inconvenience to me. Policies vary depending on where you are. Europe is much stricter because we have more of a terrorist problem (the IRA and ETA to name but two organisations). North America doesn't have such a problem therefore it is not so strict. Given the broader issues I would not even ask for a hand check wherever I was. There are more important things than photography. And as it doesn't even affect the films anyway, what's the problem?

Alan

<i>Send everything else through x-ray but ask for a hand check of "professional film". Avoid debates about film speed. So far, this has never failed me.</i>

<p>

Totally unneccessary. In the US, you have the <b>right</b> to a hand search of film. Unless, of course, a problem results in higher security. Click <a href=http://www.faa.gov/avr/AFS/FARS/far-108.txt>here</a> for the FAA regulations on this. This only applies to the US.

<p>

<i>I opted for a lead bag when flying to Mexico City, because there all bags go through an x-ray machine when clearing customs. </i>

<p>

Mexico allows film hand checks on entry. I've done this in three different airports in Mexico.

<p>

<i>I wouldn't take "vast" amounts of film with me, however. You can purchase film in most civilized countries without too much trouble. A dozen rolls of 36 exp. 35mm film would do me on my trips.</i>

<p>

This is the Medium Format Digest - your dozen rolls translates into 43 rolls for someone who shoots 6x7 (and I carry my 6x7.) My experience has been that outside of major cities (even in the US), medium format availability is quite poor. And I have never seen the few types of 120 film found in stores in hot countries to be refrigerated. And the two films I use seem to be fairly hard to find outside the US, even though one of them comes from Europe.

<p>

<i>To put this into perspective, none of the above correspondents have reported problems with X rays. </i>

<p>

You never know when a machine is going to whack out or an operator is going to make an incorrect setting. I have put very high speed film through numerous xray machines (during the Gulf War, when I was not given a choice) without problems. But I would never see this as a reason not to worry.

<p>

Fed X will ship film without X-raying.

I do have experience of film being affected by XRay security checks. I had about 2.5 frames exposed on film in a 35mm camera. It was definitely the XRay as the exposure went to the edge of the film and across frames that were across the shutter when I boarded. I wondered if the rays had been concentrated on the film plane by the lens??

I have also had times when I was not allowed to pass professional film around the XRay machine no matter how much I argued.

I now carry small numbers of rolls in my pockets and hope that I don't set off the alarm. This is usually OK with medium format as there is less metal than 35mm. The rest I put in a lead bag and hope for the best.

Andrew's posting from Australia, so US rules don't apply! The US is just about the only place I know of which gives you the <em>right</em> to a hand inspection of film (note there's no requirement on how long they can make you wait if for some reason they decide they don't like you, so arrive early for your flight!). Many other countries (e.g. UK) give you

zero choice - it gets put through the scanner. Other countries may or may not allow hand inspection, depending on what sort of a day the

security guard is having.

I have had a couple of 35mm rolls of Delta 3200 (which is only ISO 800) wrecked by x-rays. They were in my pockets at Heathrow, but I accidentally left them in my bag at Bahrain and Goa. One of these machines did the damage. It was just one machine: the film is very badly fogged, but shows 'shadows' at the sprockets. It was my own stupid fault.

With a little ingenuity, you should be able to carry 50 rolls of 120 in your pockets for places like Heathrow, but ensure you have NO metal in your pockets, or you will be 'pat-searched'.

>>With a little ingenuity, you should be able to carry 50 rolls of 120 in your pockets for places like Heathrow, but

ensure you have NO metal in your pockets, or you will be 'pat-searched'. <<

Apparently the way to go with 120. I recently bought some plastic snap top containers for 120 from Porters that work well, and could be used to protect the film from light although they add bulk.

Interesting comment though, change it to "With a little ingenuity, you should be able to carry 50 small rolls of C4 in your pockets for places like Heathrow, but

ensure you don't put the pen detonator in your pockets, or you will be 'pat-searched'."

Makes you wonder just how safe checks make it if someone is really determined.

>>Europe is much stricter because we have more of a terrorist problem (the IRA and ETA to name but two organisations). North America doesn't have such a problem therefore it is not so strict<<

If European nations would start prosecuting and pursuing them rather than slaps on the wrists you might not have such a problem. I'm thinking of cutting up some lead lined bags in the form of stenciled letters and taping it to the inside of my luggage; "if you knew how to catch terrorists you wouldn't be messing with me".

Look at the bright side fellow photographers; at least WE aren't the ones standing 8-hours a day next to a device emitting X-rays powerfull enough to penetrate a lead bag.

This thread has really been informative. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in a month and everything from the rudeness of booking flights with B-A to the treatment of film at Heathrow is really reinforcing stereotypes. Shame.

As for the main topic at hand what if I wrap my film in 4 leaded bags? Can a ctx5000 get through that? Would the operators just pull the film from the bags and toss it through on the "well done setting" just for spite? Am I subject to mandatory film scanning leaving the U.S. or coming back from Heathrow? Is non-carry on luggage subject to less powerfull scanning?

One thing is baffling. I have more metal in the fillings of my teeth and plates in my legs than half a brick of 35mm cassettes. Am I to understand 35mm cassettes can set off one of the airport metal detectors?

//scott

Non-carry on baggage is likely to get more x-rays, not less.

Leaving Heathrow, your bags will be x-rayed. They admit the scanners may be harmful to 3200 films, so I suspect those can be hand-examined.

If you use sufficient lead bags, perhaps the scanner won't be able to penetrate them. You can then expect the alarms to go off, with whatever consequences the operators feel like on that day.

A couple of 35mm cassettes might or might not set off the metal detector.

A very good reason not to hassel the airport security too much:<p>

About 1 1/2 years ago I was travelling with a histronic photographer. There was a delay at the metal detector; my photographer companion started screaming and yelling, demanding to see superiors, etc. The security was not impressed, asked him to step aside and began going over his baggage with the fine toothed comb. We just made it on the plane with out a moment to spare; if we had been delayed another 30 seconds we would not have been able to board.<p>

We can all shout about our rights and priveledges, but if your goal is to get on the plane and go to your destination, ask sensibly for a hand inspection. I've done a bit of location photography assisting out of state and have found that security peiople are doing a thankless job and get treated like dirt. If you hassel them, they can and will delay you --- their reasoning might be that you are trying to avoid close inspection of your baggage or person by being uncooperative. If you are respectful, you might get your way.<p>

In some other countries, there seems to be a lot more leeway in how security people do their job. In Germany, they xray it all no matter how you protest. In eastern europe, maybe, maybe not. I have carried lots of 100 and 400 asa film and had it xrayed (e-6, c-41 and BW) and never had a problem other than some TMAX 100 that got fogged in Mexico -- but that might have been from heat.

Scott - Carryon baggage gets less of an X-ray dose then checked baggage. The new checked baggage scanners are high dose. On no

account ever put film in your checked bag!

You will get a hand inspection when you leave the US, your film

will be put through the scanner when you return from the UK. If

you are highly paranoid, send it back to the USA via FedEx. They

don't X-ray it.

Never, NEVER, try playing games with UK security. You may find

yourself in a lot more trouble than you can dream of. Missing

your flight will be the least of your worries. If you are

lucky, they will just deport you, but you will regret playing

games.

Scott and Marcelo both asked about lead bags which, for all the discussion about x-rays, are rarely mentioned on photo.net. I suspect that's because many participants fly mostly in the US and are accustomed to getting hand inspection (because there are regulations that require it). But outside the US, assume that you will NOT be afforded this courtesy.

If your film will only pass through x-rays once or twice, it probably doesn't matter (carryon, not checked). I travel out of the states quite a bit, and if I have more than one security check to go through, I use the lead bags. My experience has been that they work, by which I mean I believe they shield the film from x-rays and the operators don't turn the machines up to see through them. (Whether the film would have been fogged without the bags, or how many times through is "safe", I can't say.) I usually get through the metal detector before my carryon comes through the x-ray, and I wait where I can watch the screen. I see a deep black area where the lead bag is and the skeletal outlines of everything else in the carryon. I've never seen the operators linger over the bag, or seen any evidence that they "crank up" the dosage. The black hole remains a black hole. What they're supposed to do is ask to open the carryon if they see anything suspicious. Occasionally they've asked me to open the carryon, but it's always been my hair dryer they were interested in - they've NEVER asked to look in the lead bag. I've read that if they don't ask to look in the lead bag, either the bag isn't working or the operators aren't doing their jobs, but my experience is that the bags work and security concentrates on small electrical items (the Lockerbie bomb was supposedly in a small radio or tape player). Unfortunately, this doesn't give me much confidence in the whole system.

About lead bags, I use a Kenko bag that's claimed to protect to iso 800 (they also have another model up to iso 400). When I ran the bag through the hand-check machine in Munich, they didn't say anything about the bag. I wasn't able to see the screen, but my guess was that they could see through the bag. Elsewhere when I've used the bag (in Thailand, Hong Kong), I've been given hand inspections upon request although they certainly aren't obligated to do so. Just ask courteously. Europe is the only place that absolutely will not hand inspect your film. I've had my velvia and E100 films zapped a half dozen times in France/Germany with no problems. Of course, you want to minimize the amount of zapping. After twenty times, who knows what happens?

BTW, film already loaded in magazines seems safe in the hand-check machines. My magazines are chunks of aluminum, so I just see a black blob on the screen. The X-ray machine operators in Munich have asked me to take a shot, as film was loaded, and did check each lens to see that it transmitted an image from one end to the other. I guess MF lenses are large enough that someone could conceivably pack quite a bit of C4 into a tele.

Carrying a camera loaded with film when facing security checks at German airports is a bad idea in my experience - chances are really high that you will be forced to waste at least 1 shot; if the officers are more bored/huffy than usual, they might request that you open the camera back regardless wether film is loaded or not (happened 2 times to me at Nuremberg airport).<p>

The more `unusual' your camera is (and of course, the more embarrassed you react), the higher the probability that your equipment will be examined `closely'.<p>

Luckily, most security officers seem to be a bit, hm, technologically handicapped... I was able to avoid wasting film several times by pretending to shoot (quite easy with a double-stroke operated Fuji GW690, where you have to actuate the film transport lever twice before the camera is ready for shooting :).<p>

Regarding the X-ray machines, I wouldn't ask for hand inspection of carry-ons (again, at German airports), because I'm under the impression that many of those friendly officers tend to be quite happy if they can force you to do something you don't like. So, I carry all film (I use MF only) in my pockets, leave the camera unloaded and let them play their ego-boosting games to their satisfaction. A bit annoying, but the most efficient method to deal with the authorities most of the time, IMHO ;).<p>

What bothers me more are the rumours about X-rays degenerating CdS-cells - the imagination of my Profisix getting fried in the long term is quite disturbing. Has anyone more technical details?

From an Article published in British Journal of Photography,17.02.99.reads as follows:

British Airways has clamped down on its hand baggage allowance for economy travellers meaning Photographers shooting abroad now have to facethe dilemma of putting film in the hold and therefore run the risk of X-Ray fogging. ( Writes Darren Hogan)

BA introduced its 6kgs ( 13.2lbs) hand baggage limit in April 1997, but has only begun enforcing the policy over the last couple of months.Anyone flying with the airline must have their hand baggage weighed at check-in and any excess items must be placed in the hold.

However the British Airport Authority (BAA) advises photographers to carry film as hand baggage, as it is generally rocognised that some hold baggage X-Ray machines fog photographic film.

Photographers should travel in either business or first class where they are permitted to carry 9kgs, recommends BA spokesman, Iain Burns

Other airlines are not so strict , American Airlines is far more lenient , allowing two bags to be taken into the cabin, each weighing up to 30kgs but Virgin Atlantic has just a 5kgs limit, although a spokesperson said it is rarely inforced.

New X-Ray tests have been carried out in connections with BAA and the BPLC the results will be published in the next two weeks....

Watch this column for the ever changing rules......

The problem arise is that how many other airlines will follow the example set by BA??

Jack.

• 2 years later...

This is more another question than an answer for Marcelo.... I'm traveling to some pretty remote parts of Kenya this year with over 300 rolls of 35mm ASA100-400. I will not have the luxury of return shipment by Fed-X but may be able to ship film to meet me there. Any ideas?

So far in my international travelling, I have had 6 rolls of ASA400 fogged while passing through Heathrow in had carry luggage. You are right, these folks "love" to be idiots about this type of thing regardless of hwo polite and cleancut you are. I know it happened at Heathrow because everywhere else I go, they are happy to oblige a request for hand inspection...however, I've never had to carry this many rolls at one time before.