carrying an SL66

AaronFalkenberg

There was an article (can't find it now) in which someone who serviced Rolleis

advised to carry it in a certain orientation in a top loading waist pack due

to a set of srews that aren't meant to be load bearing. I can't remember if

it was lens in first, or back in first. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Cheers,

Aaron

You are right! The Rollei recommendation is to carry the camera back down, lens up. The reason, as I understand it, is that is that the load of the camera and back are placed on the focusing rail which is off to one side, apparently this is the case even when the camera is focused to infinity and the lens panel is right up against the camera with the bellows fully closed.

That said my SL66 sits in a Billingham bag lens down with the focus on infinity. Makes it easier to get the camera in and out - you just pull up on the neck strap. It's been in the bag like that for over 21 years, been all over the world and I've never had a problem with the lens, panel, bellows or focusing mechanism.

Regards,

Martin

Martin,<br>

I just saw this "Rollei recommendation" in the "Mannheim" on page 89, and on the drawing on page 81 "The Hold-all case" : <i><u>To avoid interference with other items</u>, insert the camera with the base towards the back of the case, lens upwards.</i><br>

He never speaks about some weakness of the focusing rail, only an "interference with other items" ??<br>

When the bellows is totally closed, there is no effort on the lensboard (maybe 1/2 mm on the side opposite to the rail).<br>

Try this : place your camera on a table, lens down, and look at the right side (release knob). The lensboard never moves, and there is no compression or deformation.<br>

I always carry my SL66-SE lens first (down) in a Toploader, with any lens mounted on it, from the huge 40mm (Filter Bay.VIII and

Weight 1.2 kg) to the 250mm. Never had a problem too.