Carrying a 6x9 folder?

Ok, how do you guys go about carrying your 6x9 folders around? After finally fixing/adjusting both my Mockba-5 and

Franka Rolfix I've been trying to get them out shooting and find carrying them a little awkward given that they just

have those 50 year old little finger straps that must be ready to break... and they're kind of too big for most pockets,

and very heavy when they do fit in a pocket... so around the neck would be referred for both. For the Mockba-5 I

have the original ultra-naff naugahyde ever ready case, which is ok I guess, but the spray-on "leather" paint is already

starting to wear off in places. I've seen old shoulder cases with some folders on ebay, but are there any new options.

thanks!

I use a vest with cargo pockets for my Kodak Tourist II, but this camera has substantial strap lugs that I clip

on an ancient Kodak nylon strap originally made for the Kodak instant print camera. This lets me keep it handy

around my neck when shooting. When I fold up the camera it fits into the cargo pocket with ease. In the other

pocket I carry a meter and an extra roll of 120 respooled on a 620 reel.

My first folder (Ikonta C) came with a nice padded cloth camera bag. I suspect it was designed for a compact camera of the mid-1980's, or an early fixed-lens auto-focus point-and-shoot. These days, I bet generic cases for digital video camcorders might be the right overall size.

You might also find a Kodak Snap-Sak, which was marketed for the Vigilant and Monitor Six-20. Made out cheap "looks like cardboard" leather, but actually pretty well made, and a practical top-loader.

Of course, neither of these make the folders any lighter. For that, you just need endurance.

I have now bought enough 6x9 folders on ebay that some of them have come with the original shoulder-strap cases. Since any case fits just about any camera, I generally pop whatever camera(s) I am taking that day into the old-school cases, clip the latch, and go. Sometimes on ebay you can get just the old case for only a few dollars. Recommended.

I've encountered this problem too... Always imagined those shoulder cases are the right solution..only I don't have

one! I have carried the two old Kodaks on the few occasions by their precarious leather

strap or simply folded in my hand. I keep the Ikonta in a polstered six-pack carrier when not in use.

I need to buy one with a case and then use the case for the others! Thanks for the tips and the Post..

Having just gotten mine recently (Bessa I), I'm still experimenting with the best way to carry it around also. I went out with it yesterday (along with my dRebel XTi) and stashed it in the room left over in my Tamrac shoulder bag when I wasn't using it. Light meter went in there too, along with the small notebook I've started keeping to note meter readings, camera settings, time of day, subject/location, etc.

I will be investigating other ways of carrying it, especially with the rangefinder fitted to the accessory shoe, as having that mounted negates having the leather case attached (since it can't close over it). Having the extra room afforded by the shoulder bag is nice, but I may look into smaller, Bessa/accessories-only options as well.

Best,

Jeff

For my Moskva 5 (Mockba,Moscou etc. ) camera I kept the case, took off the tiny leather strap and replaced it with a Lowepro padded strap.

Then I drilled out the rivet that holds the front cover and replaced it with a snap fastener. Now the front comes off when I want it to.

These cameras have a very ugly plastic fake leather case that turns out to be far more substantial than my Super Ikonta cases.

This works far better than I'd hoped.

Jefferson, there's no need to keep the rangefinder in the accessory shoe if you want to keep the folder in its case. When I carried a folder (a Baldafix) I used to keep the rangefinder separate, and use it as a handheld accessory, just like the light meter. If you don't move around between reading the distance and taking the picture it won't make any difference. I found this helpful because until I did I'd often forget that the rangefinder wasn't coupled, and... well, you get the picture. Even if I didn't. :o)

Mark, I sometimes carried it in a pocket, not always a satisfactory (or comfortable) solution in the days of tight jeans. More often I'd tuck it into my camera bag as a fun extra, back when I used to carry a full 35mm system around with me. If I were ever to carry one again (which I'd like), the ease with which it fit in a jacket pocket would be a major point in its favour.