Carry-on Tripods

acjtucson

I see this was addressed in 2004 and 2005 and briefly last year. I am looking

for some assurances that one does not get to Airport Security before being told

that the tripod will not be permitted on board for security reasons. Pointed

scissors and screwdrivers are permitted but I am nervous about my Hakuba carbon

fiber tripod and Arca Swiss ball head. Has anyone out there been told they could

not bring a tripod as carry-on? I looked at the TSA website and it does not give

much in the way with specifics...Thanks.

I have seen advice on PN to place your expensive ball head in your carry on and the legs in your checked baggage. Or consider mailing your tripod ahead for better security for expensive legs. I have a fairly cheap combination of Bogen 3001 legs and a Bogen 486 head, so I just stuff mine into a checked bag with no problems so far.

Andrew, here's the problem........

While there might not be a specific rule saying you can't take a tripod onboard, all you need is one TSA person to say you can't. If you try to get it through as a carry-on and you can't, now it has to be checked.

You have to get out of line, get in the ticket counter line, and check the tripod. That tripod will not have any protection while it goes through the baggage process.

If you are lucky, you still have time to get through security again and catch your flight. And if you are real lucky, your tripod won't be damaged. Personally, I wouldn't count on either.

I am flying out this week and just like always, my tripod and monopod w/case are packed in my checked bag. It is hardly worth the trouble.

Several months ago, I overheard a couple of TSA folks at LAX disagreeing on how to deal with tripods. One claimed they were too "weapon like" and should be excluded, while the other said they were OK.

That tells me that the rules are open to interpretation, which means that the answer you get may depend on where you are, which day of the week it is, and whether its raining.

Planning to take your tripod as checked baggage is a safe assumption. The choice is to either take a large suitcase with the tripod inside, wrapped in underwear, or else take a separate bag/case for the tripod. I've done both - the problem with the one bag approach is that the bag will be larger, therefore heavier, and may cause the airline to assess an overweight charge. And the problem with a separate bag is that the airline may assess a charge for a second bag. Pays your money, takes your choice!

Technically anything longer than 7 inches is forbidden in carry on luggage, except a cane or umbrella. Best to put put it into your checked luggage. You could but the ball head in your carry on kit but it really is not going to be of any use at your destination without the tripod.

• 1 year later...

<p>My experience is that JetBlue and American Airlines would not allow me to carry on my tripod. It has to go into checked luggage. Tripods are on the dangerous list since they can be used by snipers or to launch small missiles. They made me run downstairs and put it in a special box which went into checked luggage which went to a special area -where anyone could steal it - upon landing.<br>

So put it into your checked luggage. Never refer to any piece of equipment as a tripod. I keep a small table top /chest pod on my camera and even "bracket" that raised eyebrows.<br>

Similarly in Washington DC a tripod can get you arrested - you must get a tripod permit no matter how small . However if you use it near any sensitive sights you still have a problem. Interestingly - when I was shooting the Brooklyn Bridge at night , the Police boat came by in a few minutes, and choppers are always near by! This has happened several times. I believe that they use camera detectors near such sights - they see the glare from fixed lenses, binoculars, spotter scopes etc. This is also how they check out a hotel room to be sure no cameras were set up for illegal activity.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I fly often within the USA with a tripod as carry-on - no problem. However, in some other countries rules are different; Philippines NO tripods in carry-on, Taiwan & New Zealand no tripods over 16cm in length when collapsed. Australia no problem, Hong Kong no problem, Turkey and Spain NO tripods in carry-on.<br>

Some of these rules change depending on your inspector so I tend to check it for international travel.</p>

<p>The real problem is that the answer to your question is unpredictable. The airline, the security staff, the airline staff at the gate and check-in;/bag drop can all say no and you have no recourse if any one of these says no. Much safer to check the legs, and if the head is expensive, stuff it in your camera bag. At least that way you turn up at the airport with a case or bag big enough to hold the legs. </p>