Carry-on dilemma -- what would you do?

eric_larsen1

<p>What would you do?<br>

It's with dread that I just found out that there is a very restrictive carry-on policy on Singapore Air -- the carrier on which I'm booked to India in October. Get this (from their website):<br>

All carry-on luggage must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you and adhere to the following requirements:<br>

•Baggage Allowance for Economy Class passengers: 1 bag<br>

•Baggage Allowance for First/Raffles Class passengers: 2 bags <br />•Maximum Dimensions of Carry-on Luggage: 45 linear in/115 cm (length + width + height)<br>

•Maximum Weight of Carry-on Luggage: 15 lb/7 kg<br>

I plan on taking a 1DsIII, 17-40, 24-70, 70-200 f2.8 IS, and 300f4 IS with speedlite, small netbook and 1.4x TC -- all in a Minitrekker. I haven't weighed this gear but it aint gonna be 15 lbs!<br>

While clearly I should have checked prior to purchase, I didn't. I found out about this on a dive photography forum where this is a very hot, passionate, and distressing topic.<br>

I need a plan B in case I get pegged while boarding -- what would you do?</p>

<p>Never, never, never put lenses in check-in bags.<br>

I have travelled a lot, including on Singapore Airlines, and only once had my carry-on bag weighed and that was years ago. The trick is not to "look" as if it is heavy. Don't grunt when you pick it up, that sort of thing.<br>

Most airlines that say only 1 carry-on bag also allow 1 "personal item", which can be a lady's purse or a briefcase. As long as it is not too big you might have no problem putting the netbook and other bits and pieces in a smallish briefcase.<br>

Somebody always reacts with horror to this suggestion, but if you wear a photography vest, in a pinch if your bag gets weighed and is over, you can put some lenses in the vest pockets. And you can always put your camera around your neck. I am not suggesting you travel this way, just put them into the pockets temporarily until you get on the plane, then they can go back in the bag.<br>

Louise</p>

<p>Eric, a little anecodal story:<br>

I flew from Singapore to UK in May, economy, with my camera gear and 17in laptop in two bags, they didn't seem to say anything. In addition I was like 6-7kgs overweight for my check-in luggage. From what I gather, Singapore Air is usually a little bit more expensive, so they give a little more leeway to their passengers. My experience with other (better priced) airlines is that if I go a little over, I get hit by overweight charges :)<br>

I trust my lenses to survive the beating I regularly give 'em in the field, but there is absolutely no way I'd check in lenses on a flight.....<br>

Alvin</p>

<p>I would go ahead and roll the dice - if your only issue is the "weight" of your carry on.<br>

Recently, I flew from Udonthani to Bangkok on Thai Airways. I was carrying my camera gear - in a carry on roller bag. I usually carry the gear in a nondescript backpack and have never been challenged. This time however at the check in counter the agent asked to weigh the carry on. I exceeded the allowed weight. I looked confused and befuddled (sometimes not all that difficult to do). My wife, who was not traveling with me, explained that I had expensive camera gear in the bag that I did not want to check in. I opened the bag and showed the agent the gear. No problem I was allowed to carry it on board.<br>

I agree with Loiuse's advice. Take your chances. Keep a good attitude. If challenged, explain and ask what can be done. You should be alright. These airlines while restricting carry on items also state "Do not carry valuable items in your checked baggage".<br>

If you exhibit a reasonable and non-threatening demeanor when the "problem" is identified, the agent should be able to resolve it to your satisfaction.</p>

<p>I just flew on an SQ flight from Houston to Singapore (with a stop in Moscow). Carried with me two Nikon bodies, two lenses, a 17" Toshiba and charger (if you've seen a 17" Qosmio charger, you'll know what I mean), cables, the lot in a Targus backpack. They didn't seem to question it, neither did they weigh the bag.</p>

<p>you're usually allowed a carry-on as you noted and a second small carry-on which is usually described as a purse, computer case or camera bag. i travel every other week in asia and beyond usually on star alliance airlines including singapore airlines and have never had a problem. my experience has been that its usually not the airlines but the security checkpoint in some airports like sydney and london that MAY inspect your carry-on. </p>

<p>Whether or not the weight limit on cabin carryon is enforced seems to depend strictly on the airline and the counter/gate agent. I've done two trips to SA this year with all internal flights on LAN. I was repeatedly checked for carryon weight. I was prepared on the second trip. I left the laptop home and used an ipod Touch for emails and I took a small USB hard drive with me to back up memory cards, using hotel internet computers, and finally, emailing home home res JPGs of images I considered 'critical'.</p>

<p>Those luggage restrictions are normal, but if anything, it's 2kg's more than Cathay (I think). I've never had my carry on luggage checked, that said, it's always been in about the size and shape less than they allow, but not weight. As Louise says, don't make it look heavy. Most airlines have also been lenient with luggage restrictions. In pre 9/11 days, I checked in a 23kg bag (limit was 20kg's), though during the fuel price hike they got strict. I'd put all the extras in the check-in luggage and the most precious bits in my carry on bag.</p>

<p>You will be unlucky if your carry on is weighed. If it is very overweight I just keep it out of sight or on my back when checking in. <br>

Security is a different matter!<br>

Size is a the important factor! Never travel with more than 1 bag and make sure it is no bigger than: 56x45x25cm. Sometimes you will be allowed on with an additional purse, briefcase or laptop bag at the starting point only to be asked to check them when you change planes or on the return trip. <br>

An example is LHR, even if you are only passing through, even the smallest purse will not be allowed in addition to your regulation carry on. The only way to be sure is to buy luggage specifically designed to the EU carry on specifications. </p>

<p>The one place that was checking all carry on bags was the UK, you could not fly out of Heathrow or Gatwick with more than one item (no additional personal item) and it HAD to weigh less than 7KG, this was until last year. It got so stupid and cost British Airways so many lost passengers the rule was relaxed.</p>

<p>Eric, don't worry. Even then you could put on a jacket, load all your stuff into the pockets, weigh your empty bag and then put all the stuff back in. I had the same gear as you, but 300 2.8 and a 17" macbook pro. On no other occasion have I been pulled on carry on weight and I fly a lot.</p>

<p>I work on a diveboat, amongst other things, dive photographers are a pain, the trouble with their gear is it is very bulky too, having said that, every pro underwater cameraman I know, and that is about 20 full time earn your living from it pros, ALL have Pelicans that they check, they might carry their bodies with them but check everything else. All those that say never check lenses are wrong. TV, film and news agencies all have proper travel cases and they are always checked. $200,000 cameras and lenses go in the hold fine, makes worrying about our $20,000 worth of stuff kinda silly.</p>

<p>I don't check my camera gear though, not because I wouldn't with a Pelican or similar but because I only travel with carry on. No lost luggage or missed connections due to baggage hold ups and I know my load is manageable.</p>

<p>Before or recent trip to China we were told that on the three inter-China flights we would be taking, that we were limited to one carry-on that could not weight more than 11.5 pounds. I purchased a smaller photo backpack which did not scream "photo gear is in here!" But it weighed about 15 pounds. We encountered no problems on any of the three flights. All planes were Airbus aircraft with plenty of overhead or under seat space. I did not see any gate attendent weigh or measure any carry-on bag, and some were much larger and I presume heavier than my backpack. So I recommend that you pack as light as possible (remember, you have to carry all that gear) but not be terribly concerned about the weight.</p>

<p>Louise offers good suggestions. Never, I mean NEVER, put any valuable photo gear in your checked luggage. I placed a small travel tripod in my checked luggage, and somehow the baggage handlers on one of the inter-China flights managed to break the ball head off it while it was in my rolling duffel. Perhaps a harder case would have prevented that, but I'm not sure.</p>

<p>As others have noted, the carry on rule is not always enforced. However, even if it is enforced only 1 out of 1000 times, what if you just happen to be that 1? See exceptions (below) from the SA site.</p>

<p>From that list, your best bet is to carry on an overcoat (or a PJ's vest/jacket). Just pack your mini Trekker with all your gear and wear the vest/jacket. If they enforce the weight restriction, then start moving lenses from your bag to your vest/jacket.</p>

<p>By the way, since a laptop is listed as an exception, you can use a second bag for your laptop (and a lens or two)<br>

_______________________________________________________<br>

Articles Allowed Onboard All airline members of the International Air transport Association (IATA) have agreed to observe the following baggage regulations. You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):</p>

<ul>

<li>A lady’s handbag </li>

<li>An overcoat </li>

<li>An umbrella or walking stick </li>

<li>A laptop or notebook computer </li>

<li>A small camera </li>

<li>A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight </li>

<li>Infant’s food for consumption in flight and infant’s carrying basket </li>

<li>A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them </li>

</ul>

<p>100% agreed with Louise on "Never, never, never put lenses in check-in bags. ", which it should be for many professional, semi-pro or even amateur. Of course, it may not apply to a large photographer team as Scott Ferris has mentioned, which it's impossible to carry all gears on board and why they have to when their expense is deductible. As a former Boy Scout, I quite also agreed with KS on "You need to be prepared to check everything!", this world is getting crazy...</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>I think that you did one of the most important things already: you got the specific information about what that airline will allow on that kind of flight. Proceed with confidence, because you are already ahead of a lot of other people.</p>

<p><strong>Check your cargo.</strong></p>

<p>I've never been on Singapore Air, but, truth is, I would check it all, except for one camera body and one lens. I simply don't carry equipment that is very expensive. Which is another point you may want to look at, considering the dollar value of the items you listed: have a look at insurance for baggage, and the limits for how much you would be compensated if the baggage were lost or damaged. I have seen some limits set very low; the lowest limits for compensation I observed were for international flights. By "low", I mean, below $750.</p>

<p>I check bags, but part of my plan involves not exceeding the dollar value of that compensation if they mess up. If you are concerned with pilfering; I have never had a problem; yet, I'll tell you that every locked bag I've ever checked has been inspected; the handlers make sure to put one item back in the box in a different orientation, as if to show that they have looked at something.</p>

<p>On very involved trips, I find it is best to use a separate cargo move; if you had over two weeks to prepare, and a good receiver, those would be a predicate before mailing.</p>

<p>I'll tell you this, though: I am 100% in favor of checking bags because of the ridiculous circus I've seen on airplanes lately. People will carry on elephantine bags that looked like they were made out of balloon animals, but filled with bowling balls. [bowling balls, by the way, are often on an exceptions list.]</p>

<p>The airline workers will often not stop them, but stand there and repeatedly make a "courtesy announcement," accomplishing nothing. The airlines really ought to make a point of sizing up the baggage at point of purchase or check in, and often they apparently don't.</p>

<p>If I have to pack another chump's overstuffed bag into an overhead compartment bin, and have my flight <strong>late again</strong>, because he can't take care of his own stuff; well, you can see how I feel about it.</p>

<p>My last set of flights, planes were late repeatedly because of this circus, I know I packed at least three people's bags into the storage bins because: A. The airlines were too lazy to break the bad news to them, or to walk to the cargo hold; and B. The people who owned the bags could not pack them in an overhead bin themselves.</p>

<p>Before you leave, hold that box, bag, or whatever, over your head for three minutes solid, and practice shoving something out of your way with it. If you can't pass that stress test, please just check your bags.</p>

<p>I will wait for someone who needs genuine medical help all day. Can't pack the bag in an overhead bin? Please just check it.</p>

<p>Allow for the baggage charges in your planning for the flight. The retail sticker price is just a sales pitch. Look at the actual set of total costs, including baggage.</p>

<p>Aside from film and digital files, I will only carry on one camera and one lens.</p>

<p>Last tip: call the airlines and find out what it is the maximum size for underseat storage. It will be the absolute smallest of the allowances. Rarely published on websites; it will be specific to the airframe, and therefore, to your flight. Comply with that. Underseat storage. It is the safest for heavier or fragile items anyway.</p>

<p>If I have to put your bag in an overhead compartment, remember: I drink Jack Daniel's. Thanks.</p>

<p>I blogged an item-by-item, bag-for-bag breakdown of what I carried on my last flight. Maybe that will be more helpful for you. I don't use the same configuration every time; but, maybe you can use that as an example, and extrapolate to fit your needs. http://www.agxphoto.com/2009/09/packed-for-flight-some-air-travel-tips.html</p>

<p>Promise me you won't bring balloon animals and bowling balls. Bon voyage. J.</p>

<p>Don't count on collecting on insurance from the airline if you check anything electronic (that includes camera gear). An Epson P-2000 was stolen from my checked luggage a couple of years ago, and the airline was adamant and would not pay up. It's in the fine print. Pretty much everything except clothes are excluded.<br>

I routinely travel through Heathrow and many other airports and always have one regulation carry-on bag plus the backpack on my back with the camera gear. The backpack counts as the "personal item'. But I don't push it by having a large carry-on bag, mine is much smaller than most, and my backpack has an unassuming profile as well.<br>

Louise</p>

<p>Louise & Alvin give good advice. Dress neatly (not expensively) and don't make a spectacle of yourself. On international flights you will rarely have a problem. It is the short hop flights on small planes where you run into problems. Someday I'll write up the bag of tricks I use to deal with carry-ons on these types of flights. </p>

<p>Louise & Alvin give good advice. Dress neatly (not expensively) and don't make a spectacle of yourself. On international flights you will rarely have a problem. It is the short hop flights on small planes where you run into problems. Someday I'll write up the bag of tricks I use to deal with carry-ons on these types of flights. </p>