Carl Zeiss ZM wide angle lenses (21mm and 18mm)

len_smith

I need a 21mm lens for my Leica M outfit and am considering the two 21mm lenses

in the Carl Zeiss range. There are f/2.8 Biogon and f/4.5 Distagon versions.

I have read good reports of the f/2.8 Biogon but I wonder if the f/4.5 Distagon

has any optical advantages that offset the smaller maximum aperture? For

example, is there less distortion, and is it sharper in the corners at f/4.5

than the f/2.8 lens stopped down to f/4.5?

There is hardly any cost advantage (about 10% - 15% cheaper for the f/4.5

Distagon ) so I think there must be a good reason for Carl Zeiss to offer a

second lens in this focal length.

I am looking for optical competence above all else. I shoot with comparatively

heavy and bulky Canon DSLRs so whether the f/4.5 is lighter or more compact than

the f/2.8 does not really matter so much to me. The lowest possible distortion

coupled with optimum sharpness across the frame are what I am looking for.

I would welcome advice from anyone who has used or tested both lenses, plus any

pointers to trusted reviews, particularly any reviews of the f/4.5 Distagon.

I am also considering the ZM 18mm f/4 Distagon and would welcome links to reviews.

Tony

www.reidreviews.com

Sean Reid did a comparison of the 21 Leica, both Zeiss, and the Cosina LTM on an M8. He has also recently reviewed the new Cosina 21P which is an M mount.

This is a pay site, but has a wealth of information regarding a number of lenses on an M8.

Tony, The 21/4.5 is similar to the old Contax lens. Check out Peter Volle's postings (classic cameras) for samples. Absolutely fabulous.

I don't have this lens but I use larger brothers of this lens (38mm for MF and 75mm for LF). It is extremely difficult to say if a wide angle lens is used at all!

I`m afraid the ZM 18/4 isn`t available yet. If I`m wrong, please let me know.

Have you seen the similarities between both 21`s made by Cosina? (Zeiss 21/4.5ZM and Voigtlander 21/4P). Same elements, groups, almost exactly design on the papers... I suppose both are Biogon derivatives, and the Zeiss one enjoy T* coatings and better construction. Also, I can expect better performance from a lower max. speed (flare and corner performance wide open); the main difference is on the price list... What do you think?

Many thanks for some excellent replies. As a general comment, all the lenses discussed, including the ZM 18mm f/4 Distagon, are now available in Japan. I presume that supplies will soon trickle into US and Euro markets if they haven't already arrived.

Thanks to Brian Caldwell for pointing out the much lower distortion of the 21mm f/4.5 C Biogon. That would appear to make the choice simpler, as low distortion is a top priority for me.

I have often considered buying one of the Contarex Biogons and have it converted to Leica M mount. To be able to buy a brand new one with Leica M mount and a warranty is far preferable, especially as the price is extremely reasonable for such a stellar performer.

Sean Reid's reviews (recommended by Michael Rivers, thanks!) make it clear that the C Biogon 21mm f/4.5 is indeed a stellar performer. Reid also rates the Cosina/Voigtlander 21mm f/4 P (M mount) very highly, but crucially is reviews don't measure distortion.

The previous Skopar had quite a lot of distortion and achieving low distortion is a high priority for me, so I don't think the Cosina/Voigtlander 21mm would be the right choice for me. But thanks to Jose Angel for his suggestion, and as Sean Reid says, there is no better value for money in 21mm lenses than the C/V.

The replies from Vivek Iyer and Wolf Rainer Schmalfuss point me more strongly towards the C Biogon 21mm f/4.5 and I thank them both for that.

So a decision has been made. It will be the Carl Zeiss ZM C Biogon 21mm f/4.5, a classic lens design with all the benefits of modern manufacture and a very low price.

Thank you to all who replied, your comments have been very helpful indeed.

Hi,

I assume Zeiss has improved it's online order processing, since my own online experience of Zeiss was awful as this post on PN in the Nikon forum will show:

steven moseley, Jun 22, 2006; 02:23 p.m.

Hi again Shun,

Here is my post on another earlier thread on this subject..apologies to all who have seen it..

Hi, I am a UK Contax/Zeiss user and ordered the ZF 50/1.4 from the Zeiss web site about 6 weeks ago...

.....the German 'distributor' a company called 'RENTA' taking the payment, emailed me within 24 hrs after I placed the order on Zeiss.de but just said in a curt email the lens was not yet available and gave no payment option details, no ship cost and no delivery date, so I emailed back with the questions..

.....out of the blue came a full invoice, but still no delivery date and they only gave electronic bank xfer as a payment option...I went to my UK bank, who needed more info to process the xfer...I emailed Renta and aked for receiving bank name/address etc..

....no answer at all after waiting 2 weeks....so I emailed Zeiss to point out the order through Renta was proving difficult...

....email back from Renta about a week after my complaint to Zeiss (they just passed it on and did not bother to email me themselves)....but the email from Renta STILL had not got the missing info to do the xfer....

....another email from me to Renta asking for the THIRD time, the address/name of their bank....

....finally after another 5 days...the info I need to do the xfer arrives from Renta..I did the xfer a few days ago and am now waiting....it has so far taken 6 weeks!

I feel like I have been dealing with some amateur operation working from someones backroom, so why on earth are Zeiss incapable of setting up a secure wesite ordering service and taking credit cards..I thought the Germans were organised?

Conclusion...Zeiss, yet again, shoot themselves right in the foot..

Shun...the production of the 85/1.4 has apparently been halted and no-one knows why..I am a member of the contax.info forum and the guy there is in contact with Zeiss to try to find out why. It is not now available and we do not know when it may appear!

Cheers Steve.

...I also assume that Zeiss has now installed online credit card facilities and therefore joined the 21st century?

cheers Steve.

Wolf,

The comparison is between the list price set by Carl Zeiss in Germany and the prices asked by several dealers in Japan who compete with each other and sell at a discount to the list price.

I am sure that dealers in Germany will also sell at prices lower than the Carl Zeiss list price. However, at this time, dealers in Japan have these lenses in stock, whereas it appears that dealers in Europe are unable to satisfy my order without a long wait.

I hope that answers your question.

Tony