Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 5cm 3,5 collapsible

Hi, I've just come across a Dresden made and Contax mount Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 5cm f3.5 lens in what looks like good condition and a good price. I take it that it's a pre war or wartime model. Couldn't find any information on it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it a coated lens? How might it compare with a pre-war Sonnar 5cm f2 collapsible (of which I have 2 and like very much).

Googling, there seems to be a *T model. This isn't one of those, so perhaps it's older.

Keen to hear if anyone has any comments.

Thanks!

Definitely pre-war for the Contax II/III models.

The post-war West German f3.5 Tessar was a rigid-design, hard to find today because most everyone wanted their Contax with an f2 or f1.5 Sonnar and the post-war f3.5 rigid West German “Opton” or “Carl Zeiss” Tessar may be the sharpest post war lens made for the Contax.

Hard to know what’s in store from a lens now 85 years old with no known history other than, shoot it and show us what you get.

Edited by Greg M
  • Like 1

If in good shape, it should be a more than decent shooter. With old lenses, it's bound to be somewhat of a crapshoot.

Here's an early postwar non-collapsible Tessar on a just post-war Praktiflex II.

Praktiflex-II-w-Tessar-p.jpg.552c815951e2ccf990bf4b5436a41f24.jpg

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 2

If no good, I may send it to a lens polisher I know who did a great job on my Sonnars. I gather the filter size for these is 25.5mm. Does anyone know what lens cap will fit? I have a spare aluminium cap from a Jupiter 8, perhaps that will work.

A regular 42 mm Zeiss metal lens cap will fit around the outside of the f/stop ring, at least it does on mine. Zeiss also made a push on lens hood for 50 mm lenses that also fits.

• Like 1

Hard to know what’s in store from a lens now 85 years old with no known history other than, shoot it and show us what you get.

The lens arrived and I managed to shoot a short roll of film in a Contax IIa to test the lens. Seems very good and has a different look to my Sonnars. Here's the best of the tests and a shot of the lens itself. Film is Delta 100 and the developer is PMK. All the best!

20220806_0008_05.thumb.jpg.18e7b1b095b795e08fa3476a83b70b59.jpg

20220806_0001_07.thumb.jpg.00c321a21e5b767f9b5c222e50fc032c.jpg

• Like 4

You never go wrong with a Zeiss Tessar. It is my favorite lens design.

From what I hear, they are relatively rare in Contax RF mount as people who were willing to fork out the big bills for a Contax RF could normally also afford a Sonnar 2.0 or 1.5 - and if you preferred compact, then a Barnack Leica with an Elmar would be a much more logical choice.

Niels

From what I hear, they are relatively rare in Contax RF mount as people who were willing to fork out the big bills for a Contax RF could normally also afford a Sonnar 2.0 or 1.5 - and if you preferred compact, then a Barnack Leica with an Elmar would be a much more logical choice.

Yes, there aren't so many photos listed as having been taken with it on Flickr. I just created a group for the Contax RF-mount 50mm Tessar. If anyone has one, please join and start posting photos. :) See: Tessar 50mm in Contax RF-mount

One more:

20220806_0014_04.thumb.jpg.0a4cda02bda78765f9d1a56e7ac5949e.jpg

Edited by Xícara de Café
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...