Carl Zeiss Biogon-C 35mm f2.8 lens on Leica M5

<p>I'm reading that this lens has a deep rear element. The M5 to which I intend to wed this lens has the little metering arm that swings in, and I've read that lenses with very deep rear elements can damage this arm. Can I use this lens safely in this camera? Will the deep rear element of the lens damage the metering arm? <br>

Does anyone use (or has anyone used) this combination successfully?<br>

Thank you very much,<br />Raj</p>

<p>Thank you, John - I did come across that page, but being a nervous nellie, I'd like to be sure from people who have experience with this combination that it won't (or will) be a problem, rather than trusting my new (to me) M5 body to my measuring skills!</p>

<p>I don't know which (or "the") lens we are talking about. - In a very worst case it might be identical to Jupiter 12 and that one sticks surely deeper than 21mm into your camera and would be an absolute no go.<br>

If you have the lens and a metric yard stick, try to get hold of 2 other local people's opinion. If you are in the Imperial realm: 1/2" is a tad less than 13mm...</p>

<p>Hi Jochen<br>

This is the new Zeiss C-Biogon ZM made for the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder (M mount). I will most definitely measure it (when it eventually gets to me), but I was hoping to have some clarification from others' experiences in the meantime.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>I have a Zeiss 35/2.8 ZM lens for my Leica M9. At infinity, the lens extends 13 mm beyond the flange into the camera. It works on the M9 without problems, while the M9 will not with some lenses that fit film cameras.</p>

<p><strong>Edward</strong> - thank you for that. Per <strong>John</strong>'s link, I only have 13mm of wiggle room in the M5 body, so perhaps it is too much of a risk to try the lens. If I kill the metering arm, it would make for an expensive repair!<br>

How disappointing - I bought the lens (at a good price) specifically for the M5.</p>

<p>Thank you, Edward.<br /> As a matter of fact, I contacted Carl Zeiss directly and this is part of the response from a customer service rep from their lens division:<br /> "All of our ZM lenses, including the C-Biogon T* 2,8/35 can be used on all M-mount cameras, including the M5. Their back focal distance is long enough to be safe for the light metering arm of the M5."<br /> Hopefully this is also of use to others who might want to use Zeiss ZM lenses on Leica M bodies (including the M5).</p>