Does anyone know of a source showing what size (capacity) CF cards various

card readers can read?

I have a two year old Sandisk 7 in 1 and a newish Sandisk Extreme III 12GB

card - yes I know a 12GB card may be not be the wisest choice - I mostly use

4GB but Calumet had some ridiculous sale at the end of last year that caused

me to cast reason to the wind.

At first I thought the card reader and my Mac were no longer happy, when I put

the card in the reader the reader never showed up as an icon on the Mac. Then

I realized it was still working for my smaller cards.

But even on Sandisk's website I don't see listings for capacity. One Extreme

IV reader mentioned 8GB but others don't have those details.

Does anyone have a reader that they are successfully using on larger 12+ GB CF

cards?

Jeff

I could not download files from my 4GB SD card that I just bought from Calumet until I used a newly purchased Lexar Professional UDMA Compact Flash and SD card reader. I had previously used the card reader built into my Dell monitor.

I have had a lot of problems with SanDisk readers. SanDisk is a phenomenal marketing company. That's their real core competency. Everything else seems to be dependent on who they source from. Their cards come from a Toshiba factory, if I remember correctly. The readers could come from anywhere.

I spent $20 on a SanDisk SD-only reader last year. It reads a few cards I use, but not most, including some higher density SanDisk cards. A few weeks after I bought it, I ran into a guy in the chip business. He gave me a little "stubby" SD card reader that was a trade show giveaway he said cost him 30 cents. It reads everything and it's fast.

Like I said, SanDisk is a phenomenal marketing company.

I have had zero problems with Sandisk card readers. Compared to the half dozen others I've

owned and tested (from no-names, Lexar, and Belkin), they have been the most trouble free,

fastest, and reliable units I've used.

The Sandisk Extreme Card USB 2.0 reader I use has read every card ... CF, SD, SDHC, Memory

Stick Pro ... that I've thrown at it, in whatever capacity (up to 16Gbyte) or make.

Godfrey

I have had problems with *cheap* Sandisk readers. Why buy a seven in one, when you're

only using one?

Instead, spring for the better Sandisk Extreme readers. The USB model reads SD and CF,

and really what more do you need to be able to read? The firewire 800 model only has CF

but is twice as fast. They are more expensive but it will never break (I've had cheaper CF

readers die a few times now, where they just stop reading cards).

• 2 weeks later...

Kendall Gelner, what have you done, LOL! There isn't a Sandisk extreme USB card reader on the whole Internet. Even "Scandisk" has the "Out of Stock" sign up.

I did find a couple of places that wanted outrageous prices/shipping witch I refuse to deal with. How about $16.95 to ship one to Maryland from New York!

I'm sure Sandisk is raising heck trying to get more on the street.

• 4 months later...

I am using Toshiba 16GB SDHC Memory Card. I took some videos using my camera a few months ago which produced AVI

file sizes ranging from 400 to 700 Megabytes. I tried downloading these files using my HP Compaq Presario P2131A

and I noticed that my laptop is able to download only smaller size AVI files. Larger AVI files were not able to

be downloaded and I theorised that it's because my laptop uses USB 1.0 / 1.1.

I then proceeded to use a computer (and laptop) with USB 2.0 port and I successfully downloaded those large sized

AVI files.

A few days ago, some of my videos that I took produced AVI files of 900 Megabytes and above. I am now unable to

download these VERY LARGE SIZE AVI files using even computers with USB 2.0.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to overcome this problem?

(or do I need to wait for a USB 3.0)?

Cheers