Capture the Moment

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Sandy Vongries, May 12, 2019.

1. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Never been a golfer, or terribly interested in it. Waiting for a shuttle by a golf course - decided to see just for fun, if I could catch the ball in the air off the tee - worked two out of three times. Suspect the one I missed was the best golfer of the three - Fast swing. Nikon DF 24-120.
    Have you tried anything similar?
    DSC_6582 (1000x669).jpg

2. I'm not a big fan of golf either but I do like photographing golf.
    AT&T Pro-Am 09_Andy Garcia_1.jpg

3. "Sports" just gets no action anymore.

4. Slugger-Stephens.jpg

mpressionz and cameragary like this.
  5. Those are tough shots, and 6fps is way toooooo slow to reliably capture those shots.
    Funny thing is, going back to old fashioned manual timed shot gets me more keepers than relying on the camera's burst/continuous mode. And with digital, I can immediately see how I need to correct my timing.

mpressionz, cameragary and 2mnycars like this.
  6. No matter the fps speed, the shot you want is usually in between two of them. A lot of the golf photos I've taken are of the practice swing with the ball cloned later. Strictly forbidden in some circles.

Gary Naka likes this.
  7. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Exactly the way I got mine - 2 of 3 tries. The third guy, as mentioned was very fast.
    'Zactly - why I almost never use bursts!

cameragary and Gary Naka like this.
  8. got this one almost 6 years ago with a D4 and 300 lens BMC_8060.jpg

9. not a cloned ball..... but shot at 1/1600 sec

10. The shutter lag is probably on the order of 20 msec, which is fast enough until you add the extras. Your reaction time is on the order of 250 to 750 msec, and add to that delays due to AF and AE. With experience you get pretty good judging how much in advance to press the shutter, but even that involves a lot of luck. Try shooting in manual mode, which should improve your odds.

cameragary likes this.
  11. Some flying balls are easier to photograph than others. hendrys dog chasing ball.jpg

12. D200 w/80-200mm@200mm, ISO 400, 1/180@f/7.1
    DSC_8294x1000l.JPG

13. 0045a Momento Boca abajo Dos Yudokas Yudo Cogidos Llave Volteando-NAFS70-300VR.jpg Nikkor AF-S 70-300 G ED (165) on D700

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  14. I don't know if the batter hit the ball, but judging by where the bat is, I'd say he didn't. Canon EF 70-200 F/4 @ 140mm, F/4 and 1/1250th. sports moment.jpg

15. 6CF3197E-53D8-40CB-A3EA-403533B61F5C.jpeg Sony RX10M3 (14 FPS) 220mm 1/4000 ISO 3200 F/4.5 - I could almost see the writing/threads on the ball

16. I've taken sport photos now and again, mostly of running events. I've been a 'house photographer' for an annual cross-country running event for the past 5 years. I also have (IMHO) some spectacular shots of local equine events. This one photo of 'Lotte' (aged 10 when I took the photo) is still my favorite. Because of the way she expressed her sheer determination. She was and still is one of the most promising young Dutch athletes. I meet up with her parents once a year at a local cross-country running event. Lotte's on her way to the very top.

Sport.jpg