Capture NX 1.3 not reading RAW files

alcyon

<p>Hi,<br>

I shoot with both a D300 (my own) and a D300s (company). I have absolutely not problem reading NEF files coming out of my D300 with Capture NX (1.3) on either PCs but I cannot read them if shot with the D300s again on both computers. It seems that the operating system has nothing to do with it because I encounter the same issue with my office pc running on XP and my personal laptop that runs on W7. My feeling is that it's a camera setting and I've been going through the manual but can't find anything.<br>

Anybody has any thoughts?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Time to upgrade to Capture NX2 or get View NX and convert the RAW files to JPEG or TIFF to edit. View NX is free and should be on the CD that came with your camera. You can download it from Nikon:<br>

<a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Imaging-Software/NVNX/ViewNX.html">http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Imaging-Software/NVNX/ViewNX.html</a></p>

<p>by now, NX 1.3.5 is pretty out of date, and you should consider upgrading to NX2. what you're experiencing is common: each time nikon releases a new camera, there follows an update of ViewNX and CaptureNX2 that supports the new model. apparently, your software supports the D300, but not the D300s. in my case, NX 1.3.5 supported my D300, but not the D700 i acquired later the same year.<br>

there is a work-around, but nikon frowns on it: a small utility exists that alters the image file header to mis-identify the camera that produced the file. i confess that for a time, i used such a program to fool NX 1.3.5 into thinking my D700 was a D3, which was supported. i was stubborn, and didn't like being forced to upgrade my software!<br>

eventually, i relented. i have to admit, i should have done so sooner, but i know better now. i encourage you not to make the same mistake.</p>

<p>Thanks to all for such prompt replies.<br>

Well, I think this is just not right. So I can't even update my 1.3 version? I have to buy the whole new NX2? That doesn't seem fair. What is this? Planned Software obsolescence? And shouldn't the D300s be sold with the proper software to run it? I'm having some serious thoughts about buying Canon products next time...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>shouldn't the D300s be sold with the proper software to run it?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is. It's called ViewNX2. It should have come with the new camera, but it is also available free on the web.<br>

CaptureNX2 is an industrial-strength program somewhat equivalent to Photoshop, which certainly isn't free; but Canon has no equivalent to CaptureNX2 as far as I know. In any event, NX2 is a worthwhile upgrade from the earlier version.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have to buy the whole new NX2?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, it is (was) a discounted upgrade if you have a registered copy of Version 1. In any event, as written above, it is well worthwhile for the improved interface, speed, and additional capabilities.</p>

If you have a copy of Capture NX with the original serial number I think you can buy only the upgrade of Capture NX2.

Here in Japan it is still available. BUT WHEN YOU INSTALL IT IT WILL ASK FOR THE OLD SERIAL NUMBER.

Buying different camera brands won't help. They all come with a free software but for a good RAW processor you will still

need to buy software like PS, LR, Aperture and you will still have to upgrade every now and then.

<p>Rene is right - you need you product registration key of version 1 to upgrade to version 2.x, and I say 2.x because it requires you to be online and input both products keys even when you upgrade to a new release of version 2, for instance from 2.2.x to 2.7.0 (the present one).<br>

You still can buy the boxed upgrade to NX2, install version 2, register it and update to the last release (2.3.0) for free.</p>

<p>Ok, I've finally worked out what happened. Sorry for having wasted your time and I guess some of you are going to throw needles at a voodoo doll with my name on it!<br>

Both my laptop and office pc have NX 1.3 because I was using my D300 at first, privately and professionally. Then, when the company bought the D300s I never bothered to upload NX 2 because we were only shooting jpegs (it's only last week that I finally convinced my boss of the qualities of RAW...) then time went by and of course I forgot to do it. Now, all I have to do is find the CD...<br>

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and again my apologies for the fuss.</p>

Uhmmmm!!!! All my time wasted........ Well, I'll find something to throw at you..... :)

Anyway, you will be disappointed coz in the cd that came with the D300s you might find Capture NX2 but it will be just a

trail version. It'll stop working in 30 days....... Or maybe in just 29........ Then you'll have to buy it or find another option..

<p>"What is this? Planned Software obsolescence?"</p>

<p>Yes, exactly that. Probably there's no real difference in the file format, just a different 'Model' tag identifying the camera in the raw file's exif data - removing the 's' from the camera name using something like exiftool will probably make the file readable by 1.3</p>

<p>"And shouldn't the D300s be sold with the proper software to run it? I'm having some serious thoughts about buying Canon products next time..."</p>

<p>I think Canon does a better job with their bundled applications. Last time I saw the pack that came with a low-end Eos it had two different raw processors and a tethering application. The early D300 boxes included the full version of Capture NX 1.x, but that was a limited offer.</p>