Caono/Sigma Error 99

cgo

My searching for Canon and Sigma and Error 99 didn't yield anything

bu I seem to recall a number of posts to this effect.

This has to do with a Sigma 170-500 APO attached to aCanon 10D with

the 10D reporting an Error 99 ...

What to do?

Thank you ...

Does this error occur with other (particularly Canon-built) lenses? If it doesn't then I

would say chances are good your Sigma lens isn't compatible with your 10D. Or it

could just be dirty lens contacts or something.

If it's not a bad contact then it sounds like a general error resulting from the usual incompatibility between older Sigma lenses and newer Canon bodies.

Call Sigma, see if it's a known problem and whether they can re-chip the lens. Then it should work, at least until you try to use it on the next DSLR Canon bring out!

I had a similar problem with a Sigma 28-200 lens on my 10D. ERR-99 during a field shooting session. Strangely, the lens functioned fine with my EOS5 body when swapped at the same shoot. I called the distributer in Thailand who said the lens was not specifically digital compatable- whatever that means. A few days later, for a lark, I tried again on the 10D and the lens worked! go figure!! However that result leads me to theorize that the Sigma lens may be particularly prone to contact problems with the newer EOS bodies. Alignment perhaps? Clearances? You may want to try cleaning the lens contacts. I VERY carefully use a pencil eraser on the metal contacts. It probably voids the warranty, but....

When you contact Sigma make sure to give them the serial number of the lens. Apparently some of the 170-500's are compatable and others are not. Unfortunately, mine was one of those that was not.

It was about 7 working days total between the time I shipped the lens (FedEx 2 day) until I got it back. Works fine now.