Can't Save Large Tiff as JPG

<p>I can't save file as a JPG. I have a 24x36" 300dpi TIFF file (8bit, no layers) that I'm trying to save as a JPG (In CS3 with Windows XP). I go through all the normal steps and when it's about to save the file it pops up with the error message "Can not save .....jpg because of a program error". I can save the file as another TIFF but not as a JPG. I've tried reducing the quality to 10 from 12 as well as the Progressive or Baseline Optimized options. I have the Photoshop preferences using 75% of the available memory (even tried bumping this up to 100% or down to 50%, neither made a difference). I've tried changing the scratch disk to an external drive and not running other programs, neither option changed anything. Obviously I've tried other similarly sized files, restarting the program, and the computer. None of these made a difference. Help! I need JPGs to submit to a contest soon and can't seem to figure this issue out. Obviously I'd love a new version of PS and a new computer but neither is going to happen at the moment.</p>

<p>Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. Might work.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I have a 24x36" 300dpi TIFF file"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a really big file, even in JPG, and probably far more than the contest requires. You might want to check the contest entry rules - it probably states the range of required file size. </p>

<p>There's nothing unusual about a 24x36@300PPI image being saved <strong>as</strong> a JPEG (just did it in CC on a MacBook with 16gigs of ram). <br /> Matthew, can you do a '<em>Save As</em>' command and save as TIFF? If not, what's the error? If you can, it's not memory or anything like that but a Photoshop error hence you may end up having to reinstall it. But try killing the preferences before you go that far.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Andrew- I can save as a TIFF, just not a JPG. I don't believe I still have the Photoshop disk to re-install so that might not be an option. I'll try the ctrl+alt+del and see if that does the trick.<br>

Michael-The image needs to be a jpg and 24 inches for sure. It may work to save as a smaller file but then the image will be too small.</p>

<p> </p>

i just went to my files resized a TIF to 24x36at300dpi than saved it as a max quality jpeg....using Adobe

Elements 6........only took about 2 and a half seconds to write the jpeg, five year old toshiba laptop with

only a 2 gghz processor.........the jpeg file is only 16.3 meg so it should not be overtaxing anything...... so I

have no idea why it's giving you a problem......

in that your error message specifically states it can't save the jpeg "because of a program error", have you

tried saving other images as jpeg files to test it from that angle ? ie does your software have a bug which

simply won't save jpegs ?

you're stymied a bit because CS3 is no longer supported, there are a lot of supposed "freebie downloads"

of it on the internet right now in fact...........a lot of which have been found to dragging a few unlikable things

like viruses along with them onto people's drives when they download the "freebie".......

<p>I have been working on a large image (29950 x 10394 pixels) in CS2 for a long time now and have always been able to save it as a jpeg. However as soon as I went over 300000 pixels not only could I not save it as a jpeg I could not save the master as a PSD. I had to save the image (a large family tree) as a TIFF file and save the latest master as a PSB file.</p>

<p>After 30K, you must save as PSB. The OP isn't anywhere near that limit! 36" times 300 = 10,800 pixels. <br>

Either his copy of Photoshop is at odd's or it's that metadata bug referenced above. </p>

<p>It might worth a try. Copy and open an existing JPG file, size up to match the TIFF file's size exactly. Delete all pixels and copy/paste the TIFF pixels into the temporary file and just save (not saveas). See if that works.<br>

Make sure all dimensions, bit depth and profiles are the same.<br>

Sometime weird solutions work!</p>

<p>Hi Matthew<br>

Photoshop CS2 and I believe CS3 had an issue where if certain metadata was stored in the file that there were issues trying to save a JPEG and yielded the issue you see. The easy answer is to delete the metadata which Andrew mentioned in his link and also the process that Geoffrey mentioned might also work.<br>

I had not heard that you tried either of those suggestions so will repeat the link here (same as Andrews): http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photoshop-help/28811-unable-save-file-jpeg-totally-baffled.html (post 7 or 10). I believe you also get rid of all the metadata by using the Image > Duplicate command and then saving the duplicate (not 100% positive on that one since going from memory).<br>

Hope you get the issue figured out.</p>

<p>Image>Duplicate will duplicate the metadata. Best way to do this with no metadata is:<br /> 1. Open problematic document. <br /> 2. Select <em>New Document.</em> With the New Doc dialog open, select the <em>Window</em> menu, and then the open doc name which should be seen at the bottom of that menu. That will '<em>paste</em>' in the file size exactly along with the bit depth. Select the correct working space (default is RGB working space set in Color Settings which may not be what you wish). <br /> 3. Go back to original problematic document. Select All, Copy. <br /> 4. Make new document active window. Paste. Save as JPEG.<br>

Update: In newer versions (CC for sure), the open documents are listed in the P<em>reset</em> popup menu within the new doc dialog. Selecting this copies everything correctly, including the color space. Don't think you'll find that in CS2-CS3. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Image>Duplicate will duplicate the metadata. Best way to do this with no metadata is:<br /> 1. Open problematic document. <br /> 2. Select <em>New Document.</em> With the New Doc dialog open, select the <em>Window</em> menu, and then the open doc name which should be seen at the bottom of that menu. That will '<em>paste</em>' in the file size exactly along with the bit depth. Select the correct working space (default is RGB working space set in Color Settings which may not be what you wish). <br /> 3. Go back to original problematic document. Select All, Copy. <br /> 4. Make new document active window. Paste. Save as JPEG.<br /> Update: In newer versions (CC for sure), the open documents are listed in the P<em>reset</em> popup menu within the new doc dialog. Selecting this copies everything correctly, including the color space. Don't think you'll find that in CS2-CS3.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks for that clarification Andrew.<br>

On your steps 3 and 4 one alternative is to drop and drag the flattened (or stamped) layer from the source document to the new document. I believe this performs the same function as the copy/paste yet does not eat up the memory in the clipboard buffer and subsequently no need to purge the clipboard to recover the memory either. Not better, just tradeoffs in approaches.</p>

<p>On Photoshop CC, drag and drop a layer onto a new doc seems to proudce the same lack of EXIF data seen in <em>File Info</em> as Copy and Paste so that should work. Can't say for certain if that would be true for older versions of Photoshop like that used by the OP. <br>

I think if the preferences are set (as I feel they should be) with <em>Export Clipboard</em> <strong>off</strong> in General Preferences, not sure if Photoshop does place this all into the clipboard memory but rather it's own implementation, which may or may not be the same as drag and drop a layer. Not exactly sure how to test this. I don't think there's a free lunch here. </p>

<p>Hi Andrew<br>

Details of the advantages are documented in this link:http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html#main_Purge_Undo__the_Clipboard__and_History_states<br>

This link covers CS4 thru CC so CS3 may be different yet don't think so.<br>

The linked page specifically covers turning off Export Clipboard and independently covers the advantages of drag and drop vs copy and paste:</p>

<blockquote>

<h3 id="main_Drag_and_drop_between_files">Drag between files</h3>

<p>Dragging layers or files is more efficient than copying and pasting them. Dragging bypasses the Clipboard and transfers data directly. Copying and pasting can potentially involve more data transfer and is much less efficient.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />Again just a different way with pros and cons. Drop and drag can involve repositioning the image in the target new document where copy and paste to the new document does not.</p>

<p>As an aside, another way is to create a totally blank metadata template and apply it in the Get Info panel. The main downside to that approach is you may destroy the only copy of metadata you have.<br>

<br />Also, for smaller files when your target is a JPEG, you can use Save for Web and use the option to remove metadata. Not the preferred approach if starting with JPEGs as it causes another compression cycle and additional image degradation yet it is quick and easy.<br>

<br />Yet this is all a bit off track because not sure removing the metadata solves Matthew's issue until he gives one of the approaches a try and we hear back.</p>

• 6 years later...
If nothing works you could try converter

Who are you talking to Patrick?

"matthew_emond (the OP) was last seen: Mar 16, 2015" and this thread is nearly 7 years old.

The OP's file was over 77 megapixels. Not a filesize that I'd fancy uploading to an online conversion service. Not when Irfanview would almost certainly do the job, given sufficient RAM to work with, and an OS/filing system that didn't limit the filesize.