Can't get rid of dust from viewfinder.

williamting

<p>I got a new D200 but there's a single annoyance: there's a black speck in the top left quadrant of the viewfinder.<br>

I've wiped both mirrors, eyepiece, used compressed air, and swapped lenses but the black speck is still there. Anybody else have any idea what it might be / how to clean it?</p>

<p>It is between the prism and focus screen so you have to remove the screen which I do not recommend doing. It can be done, but they are not really supposed to be done by consumers.</p>

<p>Tap the camera gently with the lens up or down and see if you can get it to fall out of view.</p>

<p>Do not use canned air or clean a mirror as they are unbelieveably delicate and anything on them is not in focus. </p>

<p>If you have tried using a blower bulb on the surfaces you can get at then that is all you can do.</p>

<p>I know it is annoying but the bes thing to do is to ignore it. Do not try to get in to clean it or you have a chance of damaging the camera. The dust will be in a place which you can't get at without dismantling the viewfinder / mitrror / focusing screen and the chances of damaging these when you are not an experienced camera technician is quite high.</p>

<p>While it may be annoying, the dust speck will not have any effect on your pictures. Even if you were able to remove the screen to blow it off, there's the chance that another speck of dust will get inside in the process. If it's really, really annoying, send the camera back to Nikon for cleaning. If you just bought it in the last few days, you might be able to take it back to the dealer, explain the problem and ask for another one.</p>