Can't focus Ansco Viking 6.3

Howdy.

I just picked up an Ansco Viking 6.3 and I'm having a little trouble with it. It's in near mint condition and

everything functions except I can't move the focusing ring. In the instructions it says that you can set the

focusing ring to 10ft (or 30ft) if you wan't to us it as a fixed focus camera. The instructions also state that

you can just move the focus ring to where ever you need by just rotating it. Mine is lock some how. It

won't budge and it's set at 10 ft. I'm wondering if there is a locking mechanism for the focus ring or if

someone knows a trick about the focusing ring.

Then again, perhaps it just need to be repaired. :-)

thank for your insight,

Mitch

The grease has hardened , it is a common problem with these and other Anscos and Speedex's.

I have loosen up a couple by wetting a toothpick with Ronsonal lighter fluid.

Don't get it a hurry, soak it dabbing around near the numbers on the ring. It may take a day or 2.

Don't force it as the whole lens element will screw out, ask me how I know this ?

The best way is to take it apart,and re grease it, It will get stiff again doing it the Ronsonal way.

I had the exact same problem:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KNaB

I got a bunch of great advice and in the end it was the culmination of ALL of it plus close

to two weeks of soaking in ronsonal, alcohol at times, spray sessions of Liquid Wrench and

the odd nail polish remover. 4-5 times a day at the beginning and 1-2 near the end I

would sit and try to pry them apart. But also, and this is the part I don't believe was

mentioned, I would scrape a needle into the threading and clear out whatever the days

soaking loosened. It was a total drag, my fingers were cut up from slipping [those threads

are sharp on skin!] and I was frustrated beyond belief. But in the end to my utter relief and

amazement it just came apart when I tried unscrewing it about the 100th time. But the

camera was flawless so I really wanted to get it working. However, it has soured me a bit

for buying more folders. I've gone through similar, though less intense issues with at least

6-7 folders I've bought. Good luck with yours.

To remedy this problem, I have tried using solvents such as alcohol, acetone (nail polish remover) and naptha (lighter fluid), but I have found that the fastest and easiest way to loosen the front lens element from the focusing threads is to put the parts in the oven for about 15 minutes on low heat, say about 200 degrees F.

This softens the old grease. Take the hot parts out and unscrew them right away, using a towel or gloves to protect your hands.

It's probably not a good idea to put the whole camera in the oven. The problem involves the front element being stuck inside a brass collar which also holds the middle lens element. Remove (unscrew) that brass collar from the shutter, and put only that brass collar (with the two lenses) in the oven.

WOW! I thought it would take a while to get a few answers that, in the end, would leave me

where I started. I'm surprised that there is still such a community and interest in these

cameras. I'll try everyones advise and post what worked (or didn't) for me.

Thanksal l.

Let the adventure begin...

• 6 months later...

Well. On January 26 2008 I took a heat gun to the front element and within a couple of

minutes (even that might have been too long) the front element unscrewed easily. With a

jeweler's awl and a needle I scraped out the lubricant gunk. I would scrape and then swab

with 99% rubbing alcohol. after 20 minutes or so of cleaning, the front element easily

screwed on to the second element. Be careful to not touch any of the lenses as you will

create more work for yourself having to clean those too.

Good luck to anyone who finds one of these cameras in good shape but with a seased

front element. The solution is quite simple and only a half hour or so to fix if you have a

heat gun. Scott advised puttting the lens parts into an oven. I couldn't figure out how to

remove the entire lens to do that so I used a heat gun while the lens was on the camera.

Heat and turn, heat and turn and then finally the element will move.

Cheers,

Mitch