Can't find Canon products

robert_clark

<p>What's up with Canon? I'm trying to get a second battery for my 5DII, a 50/1.4 and an 85/1.8, I've had them all on order for almost three weeks and still no sign of them, any of them, either in Germany or in the UK.<br>

Don't Canon want to sell things? I thought there was a recession on and everyone was desperate to sell.</p>

<p>Before you blame Canon, how about the dealers? They can't just order batteries. If the store hasn't sold enough equipment to place a minimum order from Canon, they have to wait until they sell enough to do so. Many dealers won't tell you this because they don't want you to go somewhere else.</p>

<p>Canon know there's a recession on (their profits were WAY down the 4Q of 2008). That may well mean thay aren't going to be making more lenses (and batteries) than they think they can sell, so I wouldn't be surprised to see producation being scaled back somewhat on some items.</p>

<p>Yeah, they are probably cueing up orders. There must be a large online retailer that ships to your area. Try them instead of local shops. Also, there's always Ebay. </p>

<p>I don't buy the rumors that certain lenses are discontinued. They are probalby just making them less often, like every 3 months instead of every month or something like that. There are several prime lenses that go constrained for months at a time, and then re-appear.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p >Before you blame Canon, how about the dealers? They can't just order batteries. If the store hasn't sold enough equipment to place a minimum order from Canon, they have to wait until they sell enough to do so. Many dealers won't tell you this because they don't want you to go somewhere else.</p>

</blockquote>

Well, that sounds like Canon would be the one to blame if they are setting minimum order quantities. Also, I assume you are referring to non-US resellers. B&H does not always have batteries and I am sure they have met or exceeded any minimum sales quantities Canon might require. Also, my local shop sold over 150 5D IIs and they are having difficulty getting batteries. However, they had batteries but no grips, whereas B&H had grips but no batteries.

<br />

Personally, I think Canon got the 5D II to market ASAP without regard to the rest of the accessory/supply chain. They wanted in stores before Christmas. Just my opinion. YMMV,

<p>Doug, it's not so much minimum orders as it is costs... likely - as with buying potatoes in the grocery store - it's cheaper or a better price break to buy a big bag (i.e.: large order) than to buy one at a time.<br>

As to the rumors... well, they're rumors. But was an update to a note on backorders for the <em>f</em> 1.4</p>

<p>I was told by my local shop that the 1.4 is back ordered (I own it) and canon had no deliery date on it - they thought it might be being discontinued as it is cutting into the sales of the 1.2 especially with all the great reviews and comparisions - doesn't make sense to me - but that's what the camera shop rummor mill is guessing...</p>

<p>I doubt the 50/1.4 is cutting into the sales of the 50/1.2. The 50/1.2 is a specialty lens and if Canon discontinued the 50/1.4 most buyers would simply switch to the 50/1.8 cutting their outlay by 75% than going for the 50/1.2 and increasing their outlay by 300%.</p>

<p>One can only hope the 50 1.4 is being replaced, the newer sigma has made it look long in the tooth. But yeah, know when I ordered in a photo shop it was generally once a month to keep shipping cost down, otherwise folks would not pay extra for small orders. maybe you ordered at the wrong end of a cycle :)</p>