Canond 5dmk3 RAW

jeremy_wakefield

<p>Hi<br>

The 5D seems a great camera to me.<br>

The only issue I can find with it is that I'm reading a lot about the noise/banding in shadows at LOW ISO in this camera. Seems to upset some and not others. I know the files aren't going to compare with the D800 in this respect but is this noise easily removed in post or not? <br>

I'd really like to see it first hand and give it a try and I'm wondering if anyone could point me to somewhere I can download a few RAW files which exhibit this problem so that I can check out whether the noise is easy to deal with or not.<br>

<br />If anyone can point me in that direction I'd be grateful</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>William</p>

<p>I don't seem to shoot at much above 1600 ISO, but at that number or lower I've found no banding in my RAW files. I am converting to B&W and viewing onscreen at 75% so I'm really seeing deep into those shadow areas of my images. You might want to go to a camera store with a Flash Card, take some shots, and compare them at home. It could be your camera. Just a thought.</p>

Hi Williams: I have been using Canon 5DMkIII since it became available. I have taken many photos and

videos at ISO 12800 and some at 25600. Images look very good at 12800 if exposed properly. Noise at

25600 is visible but the images are usable although you do loose sharpness after noise reduction. Sandy

<p>I don't have a 5DmkIII, so I cannot get you the RAW file. But, now that I checked, I do see some slight banding noise present in my 5DmkII and 40D images in dark areas. Supposedly, the 5DmkIII performs somewhat better than the 5DmkII in this respect. Frankly, since I almost never push my images, I've never noticed it in practice.</p>

<p>Here is a 100 percent crop of an image from my 5DmkII, pushed two stops in DPP, no other major processing. If that is what you are looking for, since the complaints for both cameras are fairly similar, I could always send you the RAW from my mkII.</p><div>00ayMd-501301584.jpg.5e8a9ab544c1a5f2d3fb4f54e93717a8.jpg</div>

<p>Joshua, the Mk III's sensor has very different characteristics when low ISO shadows are pushed, in my experience - there's little comparison between it and the Mk II's sensor in this regard.<br>

<br /> Also, DPP is designed to suppress banding generated by pushed shadows a lot better than most third party converters.</p>

Keith, do you mean that the actual type/pattern of the banding is different, or just that the 5DmkIII has significantly less?

My logic was that, assuming the response was similar but worse on the mkII, then fixing a mkII image would still be

instructive. I based this conclusion partially on the fact that the banding on my 40D and 5DmkII were similar, albeit with more red color noise on the 40D. However, if it is the former, I suppose it would make no sense fixing a 5DmkII image to see how hard cleaning up the banding is in real life.

<p>I have heard that this noise is visible in shadows even if pushed by less than one stop. I use the shadows control in LR4 quite often to lighten them and I'm pretty sure that would equate to a stop often enough due to contrast etc.<br>

I'm not sure how big an issue the noise actually is, hence my desire to find suitable RAW files to have a look</p>

<p>William</p>

"If you are pushing a shadow value two stops is it really a shadow anymore or a photographer's error?"

When all is said and done, the latter. If someone were really concerned about this issue, bracketing would be a better

solution to the occasional blown exposure, assuming they shoot mostly static subjects.

In the case of the two images I posted, those were deliberately abused for the purposes of this thread. I can't imagine ever pushing an image that much unless it was proof aliens visit Earth, or some similar essential photograph. But I bracket and shoot almost entirely static subjects.

<p>I'm probably asking a stupid question here but is there no shadow noise if you simply crank up the ISO at the time of shooting instead of pushing it in post? In other words if you need to use for example, ISO 3200 or thereabouts the shadow will show no more noise than a D800 or any other camera at that same speed.<br>

I'm assuming here that the only disadvantage the Canon exhibits is the loss of being able to push up the shadows in LR4 etc in higher contrast scenes<br>

Have I got this right?</p>

<p>William</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you are pushing a shadow value two stops is it really a shadow anymore or a photographer's error?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I honestly <em>could not agree more</em> with the validity of that question, Ellis - but it still seems to be the case that the only thing that matters, all of a sudden, is to be able to open up black shadows by umpteen stops, noiselessly.</p>

William, the best I can give you is that I don't see this banding issue on any images shot at a reasonable, non-extended

ISO on my mkII, when displayed at the shot exposure/shadow/highlight levels. I suspect whatever sensor characteristic

being exacerbated by pushing in software is better mitigated internally by the camera. Hopefully, somebody will a mkIII

can chime in and let us know.