Canon XT rebel and using a Canon 1.4x Teleconverter

mjferris

Hi,

I have an Canon XT Rebel with a Canon 70-200 F4L and a Canon 300 F4L and

I'm thinking about buying a Canon 1.4x Teleconverter.

Question? Will my above mentioned gear be complmented by using a Canon 1.4X

teleconverter?

Thanks for your comments

Marty

Not entirely sure if this answers your question, but the 1.4x is an outstanding little piece of

gear. For your setup it may not help too much with your 70-200 except take you between the

200-300mm range. For the 300mm it'll really push you out there futher and will complement

this lens very well. For both lenses the converter will bump you to f5.6 so keep this in mind if

you shoot a lot in low light.

The 1.4 TC is designed to be used with Canon's Tele and super -tele prime lenses but will work with others. It's often used with the 300 f/4. I've used it with my 70-200 2.8IS, I'm not sure if it's compatable with the f/4 version. There will be a slight deterioration of image quality with the TC. You lose one stop of aperture, IOW, your 300 f/4 would be an f/5.6 when using the 1.4 TC. The loss of IQ was minimal on my 70-200 2.8, I found it acceptable. Good luck.

As this is usually the first answer to lens questions on a 350D or a 400D, I thought I would mention that the 1.6 crop factor of the 350D already puts your 70-200 F4L in the 112-320mm range.

So unless I am mistaken (and for the Gods' sake somebody please tell me if I am!), the 1.4 converter will give you a 35mm equiv. of 157-448mm.

Just thought I'd mention it.

CJM