Canon XT and Windows 8

jp-images

<p>I had to replace my laptop and the new one came with Windows 8. My XT wasn't recognized and Canon had no new drivers for it. It kept saying Windows 8 had drivers native. After researching, I couldn't find a solution. Then it hit me. I changed the connection type on the camera from <strong>PC Connection to Print/PTP</strong> and then Windows 8 recognized it. I have been able to get it to download RAW and jpg images without a hitch. One of the solutions I found was to buy a card reader. I ordered one on Amazon before I thought of that and luckily I was able to cancel the order. No need to spend more money or buy a new camera or card reader.</p>

<p>The newer USB and all card readers available from China on eBay for around a dollar or two, post-paid, are as fast or faster than a direct camera to computer connection. Most of them will read several different formats from SD to CF and more.</p>

<p>Yep, the USB connection on that old Rebel is as slow as it gets. Having a USB 3 card reader is worth every cent. I often use two card readers at once and wouldn't mind a couple more so I don't have to sit there feeding cards in. Plus, you can drag 'n drop and avoid Canon's bothersome and slow EOS Utility.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter