Canon vs. Sigma

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by radek_hensler, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Hello to Everybody
    Could you help me which lens for EOS 30/33v?
    I am looking for standard zoom. Now I'm wondering betwwen
    1. Canon EF 28-105mm f/3,5-4,5 II USM
    2. Sigma 28-135/3.8-5.6 IF Macro
    I'm willing to buy Canon but I am waiting for Your opinions,
    experience at work with these lenses or other suggestions.
    Is it that Sigma worth to buy and compatible with EOS 30/33v?

2. Out of those two I'd buy the Canon, I have one and it's a great everyday lens for film.

However if I were choosing today, I'd definitely check out the Tamron 28-70 2.8Di and the new Sigma 24-70 2.8 macro, IIRC the Sigma isn't available yet however both are claimed to have image quality well beyond their price.

3. I've had a 28-105 for quite some time and I've always been pleased with it. If you go for a new 3rd party lens, make sure it's a full frame.

4. Both the Tamron and the Sigma the Phil suggested are enormous compared to the lenses
    you are looking at. The 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 is a great little lens. I'm done with Sigma
    personally.

5. I'd recommend the canon 28-105/3.5-4.5USM. It's nice and compact, and has very good optics, and focusing is blazing fast compared to the third party lenses. Personally, I'm through with sigma (and tokina) lenses, specially the non-EX ones.

6. Another variation: lens approaching tele length, 4.5 aperture or higher = a bit slow handheld. I would go with an IS version, the Canon 28-135. It is a saver especially when using handheld. Darn decent quality (build and imagewise), and very good price to performance ratio (if it could be quatified as such).

- Harman

7. I had the 28-105mm f/3,5-4,5 II USM. Small, fast AF, very good at f/8-11, not bad wide open. If you seek more optical quality (but less AF speed) I'd recommend the Tamron 28-75/2.8.

Happy shooting,
    Yakim.