Canon Tripod Collar

don_boyd3

Normally I would never do this and I hope I don't get beat up by a Photonet Guru. I've seen several

people here express an interest in a tripod collar and, FWIW, there's an auction for a Canon

Speedlite 199A (Item number: 150253857124) that ends in a little over two hours that is stated to

include a Canon Tripod Collar from a Canon 300mm lens. I have no knowledge of the seller, his

reputation or reliability, or what the item really is (there's no picture). I don't know what it fits or

doesn't fit. YMMV. Don B in Hampton Roads

Don, A tripod collar is a circular collar that wraps tightly around the lens and tightens

with a screw clamp. It has a foot on it that you can attach to a tripod head. It's used to

get better balance between lens and camera on the tripod and get less shake, and

allow rotation of the camera/lens without removing it from the tripod. Each collar is lens

specific, so, for example, you would need to know whether this is for a Canon FD 300

lens or a Canon 300 f4 or a 2.8, among other things.

Thank you Steve and I sorta feel I'm flying under false colors. I know very well what

a tripod collar is because I just went through an effort to find something that would fit

my TC 2x-B. I wanted to move the tripod attachment point a little further out from

my F-1 to use the 200mm f/2.8 with the extender. I in fact found a suitable collar

and the combination works beautifully. I am very pleased. I put this thread in to

inform others this collar might be available. Didn't accomplish anything because the

item auction is now closed but this internet thing is fun! Don B in Hampton Roads

So, Don, I probably should have noticed the 7 year membership and assumed you

really did know about a tripod collar. Maybe if you put your new tripod collar on

backwards you could have a Priestly Lens.