Canon Thursday Pic 2010: #5

joshroot

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Time for Canon POTW #5. The numbers are slowly creeping up there, but we aren't breaking 100 yet. Encourage other EOS folks to get on board the thursday photo thread wagon.</p>

<p>I though I'd post something recent that I didn't like, just to be different. It's a decent example of being in a situation where you know that there is SOMETHING there, but not being able to capture it quite right. This was a nice wedding location next to a pond with the late summer evening sun coming in low. But I just couldn't really get what I wanted. Too much stuff in the background (often unavoidable at a wedding), trees in annoying locations, etc. I converted to b/w to see if I like it any better this way. I'm not sure I do. Canon 5D 24-70/2.8L.</p>

<p>As for the rest of you, let's see what you've got.</p><div>00XLYA-283565784.jpg.95fa16b1d17535517f22fb7789b87e44.jpg</div>

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>From this past weekend. A national charitable "fly-in" for R/C aircraft at the Raleigh Durham Radio Control (RDRC) field in Youngsville, NC. First time shooting R/C aircraft; in-flight shots were much more difficult than shooting their full size counterparts. A challenging, frustrating at times, but fun day of shooting. Powerplants in some of these planes are miracles of modern engineering. I liked how this one produced lots of smoke while being put through its preflight checks/warmup. (7D w/100-400L)</p>

<p> </p><div>00XLZA-283589584.JPG.9e14c3f2958de4ee786dd2486e3517f8.JPG</div>

<p>I like this time of year when the Autumn takes care of colors. Looks like this year this season will extremely short and the colors will be washed out by never-ending rains. So I have my camera with all time and try to take pictures whenever possible. This shot was done on my way to office</p><div>00XLZx-283605584.jpg.703cb8071e441bff0ae50ca5feacb95b.jpg</div>

<p>I was in Imbituba, Santa Catarina, Brasil last Saturday training some people. Normally I go to the beach for a little afterwards. I wasn't planning to go on Saturday as I wanted to stop and take pictures on my return to Joinville. I decided to go to the beach just to see if there was anything to photograph. I'm glad I did. I spent about an hour photographing four kite surfers. Here is one of the results.</p><div>00XLbD-283619584.jpg.f6f3eb848fec453f796b151e6bb6466d.jpg</div>

<p>This area of Berlin was a stop for trains that took Jewish children to Nazi Death Camps. It was also where other trains smuggled them out to safety. The statue was donated by one of these children that was saved. I saw the kids climbing on it and thought it made a dramatic picture.</p><div>00XLbW-283625584.thumb.jpg.7c73ab9316b605f13646ed2ca58a8c27.jpg</div>

<p>Last Friday evening.</p>

<p>Aviation is just a fad -- it will never catch on -- so I decided to shoot the big jets while I have a chance. (TIC)</p>

<p>It was foggy evening in Los Angeles and I had to point the camera at the engine noise and fire the shutter when the lights appeared just a few seconds before the jet touched down. This is a Qantas Airbus finishing a long flight.</p>

<p>Canon 40D with an EF 70-200 f/4 IS L lens<br />200 mm, f/4, 1/80 sec, ISO 1600</p>

<p> </p><div>00XLeu-283659684.jpg.a1a0bb6a8976fa4c314e85fbee22f934.jpg</div>

<p>One aspect of my photography is documentation -- similar to a photo diary. Thus this photo of the newly installed rear derailleur on my road bike. It replaced an 8-year-old derailleur that finally broke down -- I am VERY hard on these components so only buy and install Shimano's best stuff.<br>

7D, 24-70 at 38mm, -.5 EC, 1/60, f/4.5 hand held (I am impatient).</p><div>00XLgH-283677584.jpg.aaae345580d05add0e6e05e250723f1b.jpg</div>

<p>A few weeks ago when the hummingbids were really in ful swing I spent any spare minute atop an 8ft step ladder to get photos of the hummers perched on a limb they seemed to frequent. (I posted a similar photo in a previous Canon POW) I took a lot of photos, but didn't have any of the male. I invested hours and hours waiting on a male and finally this one landed to let me take several photos. I got lucky with this one and got its tounge out. Although I was thrilled to get a male hummer, the ones with the Ruby Throat from which it derives its name, I don't think they're quite as beautiful as the females. They have the red throat, but the rest of the body doesn't appear as elegant and clean as the females. Anyways, here it is.</p><div>00XLhT-283687584.jpg.5e146e6577a04dc5bc7b022e40b23c08.jpg</div>