Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #46

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important</em></strong><em>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq" rel="nofollow"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: Limit of three (3) images each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday everyone! I really like the new three photo limit and I enjoy seeing how everyone's photos connect into photo essays in different ways. What do you guys and gals think about the new limit? Keep up the great work! This week I was able to shoot more birds. I spent most of the day Saturday poking around Louisville, KY and across the river in Southern Indiana for migrating waterfowl. I didn't find a whole lot and the bright overhead sunlight was very harsh most of the day, but I was able to come away with a couple decent shots, and a new bird on my list.</p>

<p>The first photo is a Ring-necked Duck.</p><div>00b1x6-504123584.jpg.bb6620140476f8a3b643000550000d95.jpg</div>

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This is the bird that was a first timer for me. It's a Horned Grebe. I'm not sure if this is a female or if it's just non-breeding plumage. If someone that has more experience with them knows, please let me know. Even without the more vibrant plumage, it was still exciting to see one around here.</p><div>00b1x9-504123684.jpg.42e8d6056a23176f53402d064dd3186d.jpg</div>

<p>Dia de los Muertos (day of the dead) is a Mexican holiday that gets a lot of attention here in Tucson. Tens of thousands of people (of Mexican heritage or not) don skeletal costumes, and take part in a walk through the streets of downtown, called the all-souls procession. Here is my fiancee in her costume. Not wanting to get makeup all over my camera (that was my excuse, anyway), I chose not to follow suit.</p><div>00b1xQ-504127584.jpg.e6ef3c498cb0b8d329fe95622e0d79b3.jpg</div>

<p>Nathan, hard to tell male from female with Grebes. The male is usually a little larger, but unless you see them side by side, it's really impossible to tell one from the other. Great shot of the Ringneck! We used to call these "Blackjacks", and I'm really not sure why or where that name came from. <br>

Daniel Harris, nice football action shots. The fast shutter speed and good lighting really helps with the crisp focus!<br>

Lupo, this really works nicely in b&w. Good low perspective.<br>

James F, you have captured your beautiful fiancee very well; a fun portrait!<br>

Jeff S, I didn't think you could top your photo from last week's Canon Thursday, but this one just might do it. Love the expression!<br>

Louis M, you have some talented beavers in your area. ;-)<br>

Robin S, I find my eye drawn to the right side of the photo. I want to see more of the lake, and less of the distracting trees on the left. Nice composition.<br>

Mike D, something tells me this couple wasn't exactly thrilled about getting their photo taken.<br>

Gil, were these Halloween costumes or something else?</p>

<p>A product shot this week. Three flashes used; one directly overhead, one from left and behind, and one near camera position for fill. The laser was shopped in for effect. I need a smoke generator.</p>

<p> </p><div>00b1yU-504137584.JPG.c822d096f705a1e267e7ea5a7f115e2a.JPG</div>

<p>Lupo - low POV for a great B&W shot; Mark K - difficult subject to photograph well, but your excellent lighting works beautifully - nice PS laser too; Phil B. - love the monotone bridge; Jeff S. - a rather intimidating sommelier!<br /> My "theme" this week is some shots I took in the Perivian Andes - the raw files looked very uninspiring so I played around in PS to see if I could recapture some of the grandeur.</p>