Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #46

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by nathangardner, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Important: please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are right here. Remember: Limit of three (3) images each week!​
    Happy Thursday everyone! I really like the new three photo limit and I enjoy seeing how everyone's photos connect into photo essays in different ways. What do you guys and gals think about the new limit? Keep up the great work! This week I was able to shoot more birds. I spent most of the day Saturday poking around Louisville, KY and across the river in Southern Indiana for migrating waterfowl. I didn't find a whole lot and the bright overhead sunlight was very harsh most of the day, but I was able to come away with a couple decent shots, and a new bird on my list.
    The first photo is a Ring-necked Duck.
    00b1x6-504123584.jpg

2. This is the bird that was a first timer for me. It's a Horned Grebe. I'm not sure if this is a female or if it's just non-breeding plumage. If someone that has more experience with them knows, please let me know. Even without the more vibrant plumage, it was still exciting to see one around here.
    00b1x9-504123684.jpg

3. Shot a small college football game betwen the NAIA Menlo College Oaks and the NCAA Division 3 Northwest Conference Pacific Lutheran University Lutes. PLU is ranked #20 in the nation D-III and won this game to help them qualify for the playoffs.

4. Shot a small college football game betwen the NAIA Menlo College Oaks and the NCAA Division 3 Northwest Conference Pacific Lutheran University Lutes. PLU is ranked #20 in the nation D-III and won this game to help them qualify for the playoffs.
    00b1xI-504125584.jpg

5. Not sure what happened.
    00b1xK-504125684.jpg

6. Amazed there no injury here.
    00b1xO-504125884.jpg

7. Dia de los Muertos (day of the dead) is a Mexican holiday that gets a lot of attention here in Tucson. Tens of thousands of people (of Mexican heritage or not) don skeletal costumes, and take part in a walk through the streets of downtown, called the all-souls procession. Here is my fiancee in her costume. Not wanting to get makeup all over my camera (that was my excuse, anyway), I chose not to follow suit.
    00b1xQ-504127584.jpg

8. The accidental long exposure time here makes a really cool shot, in my opinion.
    00b1xS-504127684.jpg

9. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

10. Three picture limit is great.
    I'm continuing to have a blast with my EF 17-40mm f/4 L on a 5DMK2.
    Clock Tower-Overland Park, KS
    00b1xY-504129584.jpg

11. Tree Queen
    00b1xZ-504129684.jpg

12. Fountain, Oak, and Lake.
    00b1xg-504131584.jpg

13. 5D2, 24/1.4, f2.5 at 1/400, ISO 200
    00b1xm-504133584.jpg

14. 5D II / 24-105mm
    [​IMG]

15. Nathan, hard to tell male from female with Grebes. The male is usually a little larger, but unless you see them side by side, it's really impossible to tell one from the other. Great shot of the Ringneck! We used to call these "Blackjacks", and I'm really not sure why or where that name came from.
    Daniel Harris, nice football action shots. The fast shutter speed and good lighting really helps with the crisp focus!
    Lupo, this really works nicely in b&w. Good low perspective.
    James F, you have captured your beautiful fiancee very well; a fun portrait!
    Jeff S, I didn't think you could top your photo from last week's Canon Thursday, but this one just might do it. Love the expression!
    Louis M, you have some talented beavers in your area. ;-)
    Robin S, I find my eye drawn to the right side of the photo. I want to see more of the lake, and less of the distracting trees on the left. Nice composition.
    Mike D, something tells me this couple wasn't exactly thrilled about getting their photo taken.
    Gil, were these Halloween costumes or something else?
    A product shot this week. Three flashes used; one directly overhead, one from left and behind, and one near camera position for fill. The laser was shopped in for effect. I need a smoke generator.
    00b1yU-504137584.JPG

16. 1 bridge
    00b1yt-504141584.jpg

17. here's the reason i bought the 100 2.8Lis macro. The 50 just couldn't get close enough.
    00b1yu-504141784.jpg

18. 2 bridge
    00b1yv-504141684.jpg

19. and another one
    00b1yw-504141884.jpg

20. Lupo - low POV for a great B&W shot; Mark K - difficult subject to photograph well, but your excellent lighting works beautifully - nice PS laser too; Phil B. - love the monotone bridge; Jeff S. - a rather intimidating sommelier!
    My "theme" this week is some shots I took in the Perivian Andes - the raw files looked very uninspiring so I played around in PS to see if I could recapture some of the grandeur.

21. Peruvian Andes 1:
    00b1zC-504145584.jpg

22. Peruvian Andes 2:
    00b1zD-504145684.jpg

23. Peruvian Andes 3:
    00b1zE-504145784.jpg

24. Leafless sycamores in the late afternoon at the lake.
    00b1zF-504147584.JPG

25. [​IMG]
    Click on the image above to see large (1500x1500)
    What a shame my flash died, and for no apparent reason at that...

26. Red Shoulder Hawk
    00b1zT-504149584.jpg

27. Little Blue Heron
    00b1zU-504149684.jpg

28. Here's a shot from a store in Arroyo Secco...
    00b1zZ-504151584.jpg

29. [​IMG]
    Took this at outside an NC State football game last weekend. It was pretty much well dark and this haunted house was near where we parked our car. Cranked up the ISO to H and used the iron gate to steady the cam. Lens is a russian made fisheye (Zenitar) and camera is the 5DC.

30. Here's one from a recent trip to the Kenyan coast. Shot handheld. Those waves were deceptively strong, and knee-deep or higher :)
    00b20L-504161884.jpg

31. kts

kts

three from my hike into the Left Fork of North Creek (the Subway)....i was the first one at the trailhead in the morning and the last one to leave that evening.....took me 5 hours to get to the Subway taking photo's and enjoying the geology on the way...spent about an hour or so in the Subway section with another photographer that had passed me enroute and some top down hikers on their way out... then only 2 1/2 hours to get back to the base of the exit point.....from there it took my 57 yr old legs and lungs another 40 minutes to climb back to my car where a nice park ranger was waiting to see my permit.....lol.....he was a good guy who actually had friends and family from the town where i live....
    first shot is from about a mile into the canyon
    00b20n-504163584.jpg

32. kts

kts

archangel falls as the sun creeps over the east side of the canyon
    00b20u-504163684.jpg

33. kts

kts

and the Subway
    00b20x-504163784.jpg

34. Autumn snowstorm on the Truckee river 5D Mk2 Sigma 24-70 @ 24mm ISO 400 1/1600 f/9.0
    00b20y-504165584.jpg

35. One more. Burj Khalifa, world's tallest building. For now, at least ;-)
    00b210-504167584.jpg

36. Back-lit Buck
    Canon 5D MkIII, EF 500mm f/4L IS, EF 1.4X TC, Av Mode, ISO 400, +1EV, f/8 resulting in 1/80-second, hand held, processed with DxO Optics Pro 8.0:
    [​IMG]

37. Windy Hill Beach in South Carolina.
    00b21p-504177584.JPG

38. [​IMG]
    Fallen ginkgo leaf after a slight rainfall.
    500D, 100mm f/2.8 macro @ f/3.5

39. Each week I am humbled by the quality of photos I see here. Again this week, I see so many beautiful images, and such a variety of subject matter and styles. I've spent most of my week sitting in my one-man blind near a bird feeder in the park (it would be nice to have longer lenses, but if I sit in the blind long enough, I usually get some birds landing close enough to get some shots that don't require extreme cropping. Also this week, I've had the opportunity to see some Sandhill Cranes fly, both during the day and at sunset. What a sight they are.
    00b22Q-504187584.jpg

40. How do I delete this?

41. Sandhill Cranes.
    00b22V-504189584.jpg

42. Mark, excellent product photo. This may or may not have been an option (weather dependent), but what I've done before is take the subject outside in the cold, set up with a tripod and remote, stood beside the camera, and breathed into the light beam to make it visible.
    p.s., thank you for the nice comment.

43. Sandhill Cranes at Sunset, coming in for the night.
    00b22Y-504189784.jpg

44. Although I just got another of my dream lenses (the TS-E 17mm) [life is short, seize the day], I haven't got out today yet to shoot with it, so here is my older new toy, the EF 100-400mm simply showing the reach of the lens - both from the same location.
    Top at 100mm, bottom at 400mm.
    00b231-504191584.jpg

45. Great photos, everyone. Thursday is becoming one of my favorite days.
    Thom -- where is that? I looks like it could be Zion National Park.

46. Thom, the subway shot is very, very cool. Thanks for sharing it.

47. We had our first major snowstorm of the year last weekend. Here are three photos of my neighbor's dogs playing in the snow.
    photo 01
    00b259-504223584.jpg

48. photo 02
    00b25A-504223684.jpg

49. photo 03
    00b25B-504223884.jpg

50. Sunrise at the crater

51. Let's try that again...
    00b25h-504229584.jpg

52. Sunset at the crater.
    00b25j-504229684.jpg

53. I've been a photo.net 'drop-out' of late, but it's time I got back into the swing of things. Here is something I shot today. Great shots from all the participants as usual.
    00b27r-504255584.jpg

54. Hey Mike Stemberg!...glad to see you here. Nice contribution to the thread!
    There are so many good photos this time around. You guys just rock! You're getting better and better (if that's possible). A couple of standouts to me that I didn't mention earlier...
    Phil B, the bridge shots are terrific!
    Rick Du Boisson, thanks for the nice comment. I love the llama shot at Machu Picchu.
    Laura W, I like the reflection although I might have increased the contrast a bit.
    Tomek, flash or not, it's still a nice shot. The subjects are very engaged. I'm not sure I like the composition, with the guy partially in the frame.
    Bill K, very good shot of the red-shouldered hawk. We have a bunch of those around these parts.
    Mark Anthony Kathurima, sometimes you just have to get out there. You did, and it paid off. Very nice.
    Thom P, the Subway shot is awesome. Great colors!
    Dan Ferrin, I've always loved these little guys. The are so alert and quick. You got a nice one there! Silhouette shot of the cranes is perfect.
    Jame Farabaugh, I'm happy to report that it hasn't been cold enough here for me to see my breath outside. And it can stay that way as far as I'm concerned. ;-)
    JDM, I'm envious of that 17 T/S. I keep saying I'm going to get one. I'm anxious to see what you think of that one. The 100-400 is one of my mainstays for wildlife, airshows, and some landscape work. I knew you would like the Black Rapid strap with that lens. Makes carrying it all day a joy.
    Lupo, my friend, thanks for the nice comment. Another good b&w at the right perspective!
    Dave Collett, bravo on photos 2 and 3! You've captured your pets having a moment of sheer fun!
    Jon Perrin, did you arrange to have that ram there? Couldn't get any better!

55. The Black Rapid strap is a major assistance in making the 100-400mm easy to carry around. I've got an easy to snap off regular strap which I carry also, and I actually am getting the knack of switching lenses, though it seems like it took me a long time to get that lens off the camera -
    "to a small child with a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail"
    Here (since the new policy allowing multiple posts doesn't actually say they have to all be together) is one of my first shots with the TS-E 17mm, my new hammer. I am actually using both shift and tilt in this image, though not much of the latter. I have worked with less wide shift lenses (PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8) since 1971, and I have some modest experience with tilt on 4x5 cameras, but the tilt is the new feature here for me. I am staggered by the linearity of the lens for a 17mm. I'm not planning to retire my Sigma 15-30mm lens, but this TS-E lens is something at an altogether different level.
    Some body or bodies at Canon were effing fantastic in developing this lens. I've never been happier with a new lens. :)
    It will clearly take me some time to master this, but I'm glad to have had the prior experience with the shift procedure. I've lusted after this lens ever since they announced it, and I figured I'd better bite the bullet before I kick the bucket, so to speak. The rebate helped a little too.
    BTW, the old PC-Nikkor was always a manual focus (natch) and manual stop-down lens. I never appreciated automatic aperture more than on this new lens, even though focus is (natch) manual (but with focus confirmation).
    00b2Ao-504287584.jpg

56. I had some films back from processing at the weekend. This was shot at a local flying club.
    EOS-1+17-40/4, HP5+
    [​IMG]

57. Yep, got to get one of those. Thanks, JDM (and that's sort of a left-handed thanks since you are costing me money. ;-) )

58. JDM: Here... is one of my first shots with the TS-E 17mm, my new hammer.​
    You dog! ;-) Congratulations on the new hammer! Personally I think you should have taken a pic of your new 17 TS with your 100-400! :->

59. kts

kts

thanks for the comments on the subway shot but stupid me, i posted one of the test shots...was trying to get a good setting for the glow and water movement that's why the left side is cut off
    and yes Dave, that is in Zion...off the Kolob Reservoir Rd. by Smith Mesa

60. You dog! ;-) Congratulations on the new hammer! Personally I think you should have taken a pic of your new 17 TS with your 100-400! :->​
    He can't, Sarah, because he can't get far enough away from the 17 to be over the MFD of the 100-400.

61. Happy Canon Photo Thursday even though it is Friday.
    00b2MV-504483784.JPG

62. [​IMG]

Hannah

Large

Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
    Aperture: f/13.0
    Focal Length: 31 mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Off, Did not fire

200ws strobe with a 36x24 softbox set at around 2/3 power in front/above model.
    200ws strobe with a 24x24 softbox set at around 1/3 power in front/below model.

63. Late again this week. I want to participate every week so here is a quick photo taken today;
    00b2iX-504807684.jpg

64. Fall is here and will quickly be gone. I love the palate the trees offer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canon 5DMkIII with 300 2.8 IS (1st) and 24-70L 2.8 (2nd)
    Canon 5DMkII and 24-70L 2.8 (3rd)

65. You dog! ;-) Congratulations on the new hammer! Personally I think you should have taken a pic of your new 17 TS with your 100-400! :->
    He can't, Sarah, because he can't get far enough away from the 17 to be over the MFD of the 100-400.​
    Never say "can't" - here is my third of three allowable pictures:
    00b2vL-504961584.JPG

66. Well, well...you did manage to get one, even if it is upside down! Awesome lens! What does the small knob on the right do?

67. For the tilt and the shift, there are smaller knobs opposite for the "lock" of the feature. The lens comes with a replacement larger knob for the shift feature. The larger knob, however, interferes with the built-in flash on the APS-C camera at some settings so I have left it off, since I intend to use the lens on both formats.
    Sorry about wandering off, but since it's already next Tuesday, I hope it will be tolerated. :|

68. Mark Kissel: I appreciate the comment. I revisited the shot and series. You are right, a bit more contrast made a marked improvement. Thank-you.