Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #41

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important</em></strong><em>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq" rel="nofollow"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday everyone! I don't know how it is in your area, but the weather is beautiful here in Southern Indiana, which is a bad thing when school projects are bearing down. I found a few minutes this weekend, okay, a few more minutes than I should have, to take the new kayak out and shoot some birds. I drove up to state forest and put it in the lake in hopes of getting closer to the wood ducks. I didn't get the woodies, but I am starting to love it more and more each time I use it. I should have bought one a long time ago. So here's a shot I got from the kayak that I wouldn't have been able to achieve from land. It's a Pied-billed Grebe; I've shot these birds before, with lackluster results, and wondered if a great photo was even possible with such a small, bland bird that rarely takes flight, but I got my answer...$400 later.</p><div>00aucD-499261684.jpg.8ccec0375391f1f4d824d7bac91ddea0.jpg</div>

<p>This is pretty exciting to folks who look at fungi seriously. It is a full, intact cortina from basal bulb to the top of the cap. This is the fragile web like structure for which the genus Cortinarius is named. A few mature specimens with collapsed cortina had broken through a large bed of moss, but ones in this condition appeared as lumps in the moss bed and were not visible. As the moss and cortina are attached to the cap it's very easy to cause damage. The dark rusty brown spores have begun to fall and collect. Eventually the web will fill up with spores and collapse onto the stipe, looking like a wooly brown tangled mess. These van be very difficult to ID to species and this one is no exception. In over 20 years of looking at fungi I've never seen a member of this genus in this pristine condition, so even if the shot lacks grace, it represents a very nice moment.</p><div>00audy-499283584.JPG.83c2f0b4806aadb9b3660e62a617f3f0.JPG</div>

<p>Taken last weekend during a stroll through the Wissahickon Creek Park. This 8 mile long park is located entirely within the city of Philadelphia. I've been shooting this park for several years now with the intent to put a photobook together. I hope to have the book done by Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>Nathan, and all, I have noticed that our friends over at the Nikon forum have gone to a sort of a "cluster" approach to their Wednesday POW. They can post more than one image as long as the images are related. Any interest in doing the same here?</p>

<p>Found some interesting fungus (I believe) growing on a fallen tree in upstate NY. Not sure what it is but perhaps Laura could help me out ;-). There was quite a bit of it around so I imagine it's pretty common, but eye-catching nonetheless.</p><div>00aufI-499305684.jpg.e7f3f4306df1d8c9b88151b527fc6efa.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Halles Abbey Ruins </strong>(near Winchcombe England)<br>

Canon 5D MkIII, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS at 24mm, Av mode, ISO-200, +2/3EV, f/11 resulting in 1/125-sec. hand held, processed with DxO Optics Pro 7.5:</p>

<p><a title="Halles Abbey Ruins by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Halles Abbey Ruins src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/8071558327_42713039d7_c.jpg" alt="Halles Abbey Ruins" width="800" height="534" /></a></p>