Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #33

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by nathangardner, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Important: please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).

Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are right here. Remember: only one image each week!​
    Happy Thursday to everyone! This is my last week of summer "vacation" until school starts on Monday. I've been working a lot lately (I'm not complaining, it is by choice) and haven't had much time for photography, but I have managed to get a few shots off and once school starts I'll be back in swing with the school newspaper. My good friend gave me a 1.4x II t/c as a gift recently for helping him out in his photography business and other things. I took it out in the yard yesterday to play with it and here's one of the shots. The camera was tripod mounted, but I still could have used a tad faster shutter to reduce motion blur. But for just stepping out the front door and snaping a shot, I'll take it.
    00ZCgz-390659584.jpg

2. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

3. Good luck back at school Nathan. Not being able to sleep gets me in the first 5 posts... score ;)
    00ZChD-390667684.jpg

4. Well .. Happy Thursday to everyone ...
    Went to the flower shop yesterday, and well .. just happened to have my camera ..
    Canon 350D .. with Canon 28-90mm Lens .. and caught this Zinnia
    00ZChE-390667584.jpg

5. From a stairway in a Cinque Terre town. I liked the colors, and the statue's expression.
    Lupo, I just finished dinner, and your photo is still making me hungry!
    00ZChF-390669584.JPG

6. This summer will soon be over.
    00ZChH-390671584.jpg

7. 5D2, 24/1.4, f4 at 1/60, ISO 100
    00ZChV-390675584.jpg

8. Mine for the week is another Great Blue Heron.
    00ZChY-390677584.jpg

9. Almost spring downunder
    00ZChi-390679784.jpg

10. Canon 5D MarkII / 24-105mm cropped slightly.
    [​IMG]

11. Part of an old slaughterhouse ...
    00ZChv-390689584.jpg

12. [​IMG]
    Kaleigh
    (Click image for larger view.)
    Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Exposure Program: Manual
    Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
    Aperture: f/13.0
    Focal Length: 28 mm
    ISO Speed: 100

Strobe: Single 200ws Calumet strobe firing into a 48" octagon softbox positioned directly over the model. Triggered with a Calumet wireless RF trigger.

13. This is a shot from an Event called Retrofest, which was full of steam engines, classic cars and classic aircraft.
    As the event photographer I was able to get out onto the (grass) airstrip and get some head-on views of the biplanes doing some stunt flying.
    This is Limbo Flying where the aircraft fly under cables set at around 20 ft. I'd prviously only seen this in film of the 1930s RAF Hendon flying displays.
    [​IMG]
    EOS 40D (back up camera) 100-400, iso-800, f5.6, 1/800, +2/3 ev

14. Different element of the multi-coloured spectrum of my life this week, compared to the wasp of last week. I'm English, and working with many nationalities in the USA we had a team cricket match last week (in a baseball diamond). Hilarious watching my US colleagues, who grew up with softball and baseball, trying to use the same skills and rules to master cricket. Replace bowler with 'pitcher', wickets with 'base', and lost count of how many times they hit the ball, threw down their bat (?!) and then just blindly ran...
    rgds,
    james
    00ZCiB-390693584.jpg

15. You don't throw down your bat in cricket? What do you do with it then? lol

16. A shot of one of my favorite subjects on just another extraordinary ordinary day in a park somewhere in the world.
    00ZCiU-390697584.jpg

17. Once again, wonderful work by all. Manchester State Beach, Mendocino County, California.
    -Dave
    00ZCiV-390699584.jpg

18. Taken at the Hawk Conservancy, a good day out for the family. Canon 1D MkIII, 100-400L. ISO1600 1/250 @ f7.1.
    00ZCir-390701784.JPG

19. This shot was taken with a Canon 30D and a 50mm - 200mm, f3.5 - 4.5 L. Yes that's a 50-200 L. This was one of the first, if not the first, L quality lens Canon made, mine still works perfectly. It is black, and about the size and weight of a 200mm prime, so it does not draw the attention like the big white lens do. It has several fluorite elements that give it great contrast and color handling capabilities, and a bokeh that you woud expect from a L lens.
    00ZCjB-390703584.jpg

20. Here's what you get when yuou rescue sunflowerseeds from the birdfeeder.
    Next week i'll try to get some of my alternate birdfeeder (gapes on the pergola..)
    The birds are eating the grapes.. i planted it mainly as sunscreen.
    5dII, 70-200 2.8L is.
    00ZCjM-390707584.jpg

21. I posted a few comments on last week's Canon Thursday photos. Sorry, couldn't get to them all.
    Wandering around the local arboretum, I saw quite a few bees doing what bees do. I used a 7D with the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS set on AI Servo to take advantage of the faster focusing sample rate with this rig. Evaluative metering, flash on camera with Sto-Fen diffuser, compensation set at -2/3.
    00ZCjP-390709584.JPG

22. Wow! Great stuff so far. Dean, that's really nicely done! Just walked out the front door, Nathan? I wish I could see that when I exit my house. Nice shot.
    Another egret, another day...
    00ZCjk-390711584.jpg

23. Great pics today as always. Last Thursday I took a walk down to the river. Along the way I stopped and talked to a neighbor. Upon arriving at the river, the sun had already slipped below the horizon, however this is the view I saw.
    00ZCjs-390715584.jpg

24. 7D, EF 70-200 f/4 L IS
    00ZCk0-390717584.jpg

25. Little Blue Heron
    00ZCk8-390719584.jpg

26. Selective colorization of crates stacked by the side of a building. Canon 7D w/ Canon 10-22
    00ZCkC-390721584.jpg

27. Statue on top of the Cenotaph in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
    00ZCkR-390723684.jpg

28. Whoa -- as usual great work, excellent stuff already starting off with Nathan and Jeff's all the way.
    Hiking last week and I wish I were still they mostly permanently! (assuming I'd still have excellent wifi access)
    00ZClE-390733584.jpg

29. Canon Eos 50D - 55-250mm

30. An experiment from last week. I wanted to see how well my EF 70-300mm USM lens would perform on the moon at max focal length. Answer: Not that great - but the shot was irresistable. This is a 100% crop...
    00ZClV-390739684.jpg

31. I can't help it but to comment on few photos and impression they left on me:
    Jeff - A rich artistic image (as always)
    Lupo - Great photo, good thing your dishes are leaning toward the healthy side; otherwise you should pay for all Weightwatchers classes we are going to take!
    Mark - Very impressive macro and thanks for sharing your post process steps
    Bruce and Louis - So far I am resisting to reach for my pocket and buy a 70-200 f/4 but you guys are making it more and more difficult!
    Tony - Excellent head shot of the bird
    Mine is from a twilight photoshoot I did a couple of days ago.
    Cheers, Hadi
    00ZCle-390741584.jpg

32. From a walk along the shores of Lake Michigan near Saugatuck, MI.
    5d markII, 100-400 (@285), ISO 125, f8/1000
    00ZCm5-390743684.jpg

33. THIS IS MANIPULATED. I took the Thunderbirds at the Portsmouth Air Show where the white high cirrus cloud background matched the color of the airplanes. I substituted a cloud background that provided some contrast.

34. At the feeder, this week. We installed a new finch-feeder just a few feet from our office windows, and it's become a neighborhood hangout.
    00ZCmS-390749584.jpg

35. County Fair (2011) ! Canon 7D , Sigma 17-70mm, f2.8/4.0, 1/640 @f13.0, ISO 400
    00ZCmW-390751584.JPG

36. When I asked this little boy's permission to take his picture, he had only one request: "Make me big."

37. [​IMG]
    350D, 100mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8

38. Fire hydrants are where you find them.

39. Where is the fire hydrant when you need one?
    00ZCnO-390767584.jpg

40. Canon EF-S 15-85
    00ZCnR-390765584.jpg

41. Hello All,
    While out on a foray I found this Tylopilus alboater. It took on a sci-fi look pretty quick and I couldn't resist trying some new things. I used some different backgrounds and have 2 other shots in my gallery. It was a fun "cave" to play in.
    00ZCnn-390775784.JPG

42. Sic semper tyrannis.
    Aside from that, how was the play?
    00ZCoY-390789584.jpg

43. This is my first foray into dance photography. Not modified beyond copy and paste.
    00ZCof-390793584.jpg

44. So, I was bored in the studio yesterday...
    00ZCog-390793684.jpg

45. Ken Papai, I'm jealous as hell! I still miss Jeffrey pines and that great vanilla smell...

46. I love it when subjects provide their own lighting :)
    00ZCpE-390797584.jpg

47. kts

kts

48. I went to the horse races for the first time in over 40 years to see if I could get any good closeup shots of the ponies. I did and I had a wonderful day in the sun.
    00ZCpd-390801584.jpg

49. I wasn't able to get out this week. Yesterday I was looking at some photos from last winter that had very little color in them, I decided to try something I've never done before, B&W conversion.
    00ZCqF-390811684.jpg

50. Great photos again this wee.
    My usual flower:
    00ZCqS-390813584.jpg

51. Here's my contribution for the week. A poinsettia leaf on mulch.
    00ZCqm-390817584.jpg

52. kts

kts

some really wonderful photo's again this week.....nice work everyone
    would have liked to taken and posted some shots from my 6th row seats at last night's Return to Forever / Zappa Plays Zappa show at the Palace but as usual "No Camera's Permitted".....but it's O.K. for people with 12" iPads and phones held over their heads taking video's.....hmmmph
    anyway's, here's a shot of local guitarist Brian Henke from a few weeks ago
    00ZCqs-390819584.jpg

53. Full-frame fisheye: the new Canon EF 8-15/4L set for 180-degrees diagonal viewing on a 1D Mk IIN.
    00ZCqx-390821584.jpg

54. I normally carry my point-and-shoot with me around the neighborhood, but last weekend I took the big boy with the 50mm Canon macro. I see the same things, but always see them differently.
    00ZCsI-390841584.jpg

55. Love the creative shots! Don't have nearly the skill of other Canon shooters but here is one of my banal pics. T2i kit lens.
    00ZCsf-390853584.jpg

56. Another one from Yosemite on Sentinel Dome.
    Camera Canon EOS 7D
    Exposure 0.05 sec (1/20)
    Aperture f/11.0
    Focal Length 14 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Lens Type Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
    00ZCt6-390865684.jpg

57. No entry
    00ZCtr-390873584.jpg

58. I have been working on some tourism photos of local events for 2012 brochure. This entertainer was part of a free event held at Sandbanks Beach in Poole, Dorset. Apparently Sandbanks has, by area, the fourth highest land value in the world. i find this fact amazing.
    00ZCuV-390883584.jpg

59. Jeff Spirer--you photos never cease to amaze!
    Thanks for posting--you've truly out there...
    Paul...

60. Not many Hummers this year, but finally getting a few in.
    00ZCvE-390891584.jpg

61. Hope I am not too late.
    Here is a photo from my last week's New York visit. Canon XSi, kit lens.
    00ZCvf-390893584.jpg

62. We join the local Audubon chapter for monthly bird walks when our schedule permits. They know all the best places, and all the correct names.
    Barn swallow at rest
    [​IMG]

7D, 100-400L @ 400, f5.6 @ 1/750, ISO 400
    ME

63. Happy Thursday! My Thursday shot came from yesterday's shoot. Titled "Guitars". I will have this larger in my portfolio if any one would like to see it at 1500 pixels.
    00ZCxt-390921584.jpg

64. [​IMG]
    My contribution for the week... cranky baby

65. A shot from very recent trip to Kauai. Shot with my 5D and 17-40L with a 3 stop ND filter, and a 3 stop ND grad.
    00ZCyW-390927584.jpg

66. Here's a shot from the Ventura County Fair last weekend.
    00ZCym-390929584.jpg

67. Wow, you guys and gals just keep raising the bar. A lot of nice work this week, it just keeps getting better. I'm glad to see new names among the regulars, posting your work helps all of us grow. Here's my experiment for the week, a Hell on Wheels stunt rider performing during the monster truck show at Englishtown NJ Wed. night. They work without safety nets about 60ft off the ground.
    00ZCzC-390937584.jpg

68. Tofino, BC
    Jayson
    [​IMG]

69. A few weeks ago I posted a rather busy shot of the tallest waterfall in MN. Mark asked about scale in his more than generous comments. Well, here is another shot of that waterfall in Grand Portage SP to provide some scale.
    This is a 5 shot HDR experiment, tone mapping was kept to a minimum. It appears a bit over sharpened on my monitor; it will be interesting to see how it works posted on line.
    00ZD2h-390967584.jpg

70. I drove down to the Harbor to see if there was anything interesting to photograph. I sat in my car for a few minutes just watching. About a dozen Pelicans flew by very close to shore and I thought "wow this is great I can practice panning and focusing". I got all my gear out and literally nothing happened. Waited an hour, pelicans flew by but were hundreds of yard away. This was the only photo even remotely worth keeping but I was hoping for better. I am sure hundreds of Pelicans flew by right after I left. Canon 5D MK2 ISO 200 1/200 f/11 Vivitar 100-300 Zoom
    00ZD7k-391033584.jpg

71. Sculpture 60D
    [​IMG]

72. Wow I am really late this week

73. I was having some problems posting the photo (site won't let me type) but it is now OK. Here is the shot of the Sistine Chapel taken handheld at 1/20 (who needs IS!) at ISO 3200 with a Sigma 8mm Fisheye.
    00ZDLS-391235584.jpg

74. It has been a while since I shoot Canon gear (been having some fun with NEX). A few days ago, I borrowed a friend's Vivitar 85 (Rokinon/Samyang) and shot with a 5D.
    [​IMG]

75. Hello All,
    This is my first post. I love the photos on here and look forward to looking at your images every Thursday.
    Juan

76. This image is of a dragonfly I encountered while on a hike, in Arkansas. -

77. Aggghh, this shouldn't be so hard - third times a charm
    00ZDaL-391497784.jpg

78. kts

kts

nice one Phil....the midwest's version of Death Valley's racetrack

79. Hi folks. Another week of fine photo contributions to the Canon Thursday thread. Here's my take on some of the more notable (good and bad) photos from this week.
    @ Nathan - I like the shot; technically good, but the colors look very flat. These little guys are typically so irridescent green.
    @ Jeff Spirer - Harsh lighting, but then I suspect you intended that given the subject matter.
    @ Lupo - If Food Magazine isn't calling, they should. I'm going to print this photo and eat it.
    @ Vladimir Wegner - Nice macro of the thistle. Lighting is good.
    @ Mike Dixon - I like the composition with the steeple framed under the bridge.
    @ Dean Schreuder - Good lighting. Like the model's pose.
    @ Tony Leinster - Nice eagle shot. How would this look with a little less space above the eagle's head?
    @ robert colameco - Unique pose. Good reflection.
    @ Lee Derrickson - I like this time of day. Sky colors can be quite magical.
    @ Louis Meluso - Love the backlit "weeds".

80. @ Bill K - Nice capture! Feather (?) drifting down is a bit of distraction.
    @ William Kahn - Not a bad shot at all. Good exposure.
    @ David Cavan - Easy pickin's. Needs a bit more contrast since you are shooting through glass.
    @ Rob Bernhard - I like the colors in this shot. I might have moved the fly (via cropping) to a point closer to one of the rule of thirds points (bottom left maybe?).
    @ Jeff Backer - Nice composition. Terrific sky! Exposure is very well done.
    @ Laura Weishaupt - you are increasing my fungus vocabulary. Good lighting. Almost looks like a cavern with stalactites and stalagmites.
    @ Yianni Papadopoulos - Great triptych. Lighting is perfect. Your "first foray" is quite well done!
    @ Pete Ferling - I end up with really weird (for me) photos when I get bored. I can't begin to tell you how many photos I have of a favorite light stand. I like the lighting in this shot.
    @ Shawn Shawhan - Great stop action. Really conveys the sense of motion.

81. @ Marcel Romviel - Nice DOF for the rose. Even though I normally dislike square crops, this one works well.
    @ Rick Janes - Rick, I like this one, but the horizon splitting the photo dead center puts me off a bit.
    @ Adrian K - That's the nice thing about going back to a location; I always see something I had not seen the first time around.
    @ Randy Cooprider - Randy, you caught some nice expressions on the faces of the three that are visible. The cut off fourth person is distracting. A great way to get better shots is to keep practicing and browse the galleries here. Look at photos you like from other photographers and analyze them to discover why you like them. Keep shooting!
    @ Gene Spearman - Flash is a little harsh. A diffuser would help soften the light.
    @ Nimesh Patel - no such thing as being too late as long as you get the photo in before the next Canon Thursday starts. I'm not sure this chap wanted his photo taken. Looks a bit controntational.
    @ Mark Keefer - I looked at the larger shot in your portfolio. Amazing detail in the larger version. Lighting is very good.
    @ Alicia Miller - Awwww...
    @ Phil Richardson - Expressions of riders are such a contrast with the backdrop. Love it!
    @ Randall Farhy - Perfect timing. I like the post work on this one. Great composition.
    @ Philip Wilson - Okay, you are officially the "Iron Man". 1/20 sec? Really? How did you get rid of the blue around the perimeter?
    @ Tuan Hoang - I love the colors in this shot. I would have preferred to see just a bit more DOF, but that's a minor nitpick. Very nice.
    @ Juan Hernandez - Welcome to Canon Thursday. The 7D and 100 mm macro can produce some stunning results.
    @ phil Marion - I think I woud like this better without the dark horizon at the top.
    Okay, that's it for this week. And thank you all for the nice comments you have steered my way.

82. GE Building seen from Rockefeller Plaza
    Canon 5D MkII, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS at 24mm, ISO 100, f/4 and 1/800 (it was gusty and the flags were flapping vigorously):
    [​IMG]