Canon Thursday Photo 2011:#32

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a rel="nofollow" href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A little early again, but 6am isn't far off, so I'd better do it now before I doze off and forget it altogether. Happy Thursday to everyone! I hope your week has gone well and has produced some great photos. I've had a busy week so I didn't get to shoot too much but I did snap off a few shots at a friend's very informal riverside wedding. Here's one of the ring shots. </p><div>00ZAh3-388507584.jpg.6d9a06605742ded674ec677e0f8f77e2.jpg</div>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Wasp feeding her (or his?) baby in a nest in our back garden. A very "interesting" experience trying to photograph the inside of a wasps nest and not one for the faint-hearted that's for sure. 5d and 100 macro.<br>

rgds,<br>

james</p><div>00ZAhC-388513584.jpg.c2470dfddb702cf517d5c985d584b1dc.jpg</div>

<p>Finally back. Missed the last 2 Canon Thursday's due to me being in Yosemite and San Francisco. Had a good time. A first time for both and they're definitely great places for photography.</p>

<p>This is from atop Sentinel Dome. By far my favorite place I visited while in Yosemite. Gives you 360 degree views of everything and is just simply amazing. Being not the most physically fit person, I did not enjoy the last stretch up the granite rock to the top. I especially wouldn't want to climb it after a rain, it's somewhat steep. I'm glad I did though, it was more then worth it.</p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr >

<th>Camera</th>

<td><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Exposure</th>

<td>0.1 sec (1/10)</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Aperture</th>

<td>f/11.0</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Focal Length</th>

<td>14 mm</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>ISO Speed</th>

<td>100</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure Bias</th>

<td>+1 EV</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Lens Type</th>

<td>Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<div>00ZAi3-388539584.jpg.af47d824171dd75268e0e5a1226c40e6.jpg</div>

<p>I still like to shoot film sometimes so a couple of weeks ago I picked up a near mint Canon Elan 7e body for next to nothing ($35). What a nice, solid feeling but light camera! More comfy on my neck during rugged nature hikes than my EOS 1n. I hooked it up with my old Canon EF 70-210mm f/3.5 USM lens and it makes a nice combo. And if it should take a tumble off a cliff or drop in the lake, no worries. Here is a shot from my first roll of Fuji Superia 400 with this outfit.</p><div>00ZAi8-388541584.jpg.ccde01c5d8756d8d536754e3d60e062c.jpg</div>

<p>@ Randall & Nathan. Thanks. Just dropped a few bigger versions into my Flickr account if you're interested.</p>

<p>@ Robin. Yikes - spooky. That's the kind of tree I imagine I'd find in Jeff Spirers' backyard :)</p>

<p>rgds,<br>

james</p>

<p>Last Thursday I drove up the N.J. Turnpike and took the Staten Island ferry to NYC. Once there I walked to and over the Brooklyn Bridge, something I have been wanting to do for a long time. As a teacher of U.S. History, I talk to my students every year about its significance in the industrial age and its construction but I had never stepped foot on it until last week. I did a lot more walking than I did photography but it was still a good day. Here's a shot of the bridge.</p><div>00ZAiY-388551584.jpg.236c2059f37a9750747bcaaa9a47f95a.jpg</div>

<p>Fantastic shot James, I cant imagine how you got that close!<br>

Mine is from my sons week away sailing, he is just seven and loved the whole experience. My daughter took part for a day, she is four and hopped in the dingy with her uncle no problem, this is them setting off.</p><div>00ZAkv-388585584.jpg.6807dd829c7e470e217bf3d125906444.jpg</div>

<p>Sorry I was unable to comment on last week's photos. There were some really spectacular shots posted. I'll try again for this week. <br>

What kind of boat, Nathan? And why the beer can? James, love that wasp shot!<br>

Someone recently asked me if I shot anything besides nature scenes...my answer was, "well, not any good ones". Here's a recent portrait shot of a young man at his 3rd birthday. I played around with it in post but was never really satisfied with the results. His mom loved the shot.</p>

<div>00ZAkw-388587584.jpg.ebecb60ce54811c6a0640e6b942debac.jpg</div>

<p>Some awesome photos already this week. I'm recuperating from eye surgery (cataracts). Everything went well. I had the other eye done in March. As soon as I the right one clears and get new glasses I'll be good to go. We're having a home improvement project done (new septic system) that necessitated the removal of some trees. I did what I could on my own, but we needed to call in the professionals for a few of them. A fellow named Chip led the crew and climbed the trees to top them. Of course, I had to grab the camera and document the process. I told him that he had a better view up in the treetops than I ever had in my office. Here's my meager offering for the week.<br>

EOS 7D<br>

EF 70-200 f/4L USM @ 172mm<br>

ISO 400<br>

1/500 sec., f/7.1</p><div>00ZAlA-388593584.jpg.94b784b3b4e9fc1e27875abefe6734f4.jpg</div>

<p>A simple gladiola this time. I was trying to photograph a sunflower in the front garden, and found this in bloom, came out better than the sunflower. nice surprise, didn't even know the bulbs were still in there.<br>

Little crop, couldn't get close enough. Have to buy me a macro lens again..<br>

(my 50 macro is on permanent loan at my artschool nieces)<br>

5D2, 28-80 2.8-4.0 L</p><div>00ZAlT-388597584.jpg.9eddce5cb68c42af544b8380d79340da.jpg</div>

<p>A few weeks ago we spent the weekend on the North Shore of Lake Superior. We drove around looking to see some sights and we came across this guy climbing a cliff at a wayside rest with what passes for high ground in MN... I think our highest point is 1700 feet or some such.</p>

<p>The lake below is probably around 35 degrees or so, and the rocks are quite solid, so there is no possibility of a good ending if he were to have a fall! It was a bit breezy and quite chilly w/ the wind off the lake.</p><div>00ZAlX-388599584.jpg.87987c463c55eccfd8b449cafc3e5c0d.jpg</div>