Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #30

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a rel="nofollow" href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday everyone! I'll get this thing going a few minutes early and maybe a few of you can get your post in before midnight. Otherwise, you'll have to wait a couple hours for routine maintenence. I got away from birds a little this week and shot a wedding. Let's see what you guys shot. And by the way, the photo quality these past few weeks has been phenomenal. I am very proud of our forum, let's keep it up!</p>

<p>So lately I've been shooting weddings with a friend that is an established wedding photog. I shot one Sunday and followed the couple back to the hotel for a few more shots. Here's one from the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, KY. The hotel is very old and gorgeous. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore and walking down some of the dark quiet hallways can be kind of creepy, but very cool at the same time. Here is a shot from a bench made into a wooden wall that we found down in the basement.</p><div>00Z6XJ-384081584.jpg.bd34d6dd0334f3219c0caa4dd4522f3f.jpg</div>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Another shot of a passing storm, taken from my back garden. I think out of many unsuccessful lightning shots over the years, that is my best to date, and it's not really that good when you look at some the offering available on the internet, but I'm happy with it.</p>

<p>4 seconds F8, 17-40, 5d mki and a lot of luck.</p>

<p>rgds<br /> james</p><div>00Z6XR-384083584.jpg.079815fea96fd01a14ee21ae4adf9fe9.jpg</div>

<p>Taken quite a few months ago from a ski resort. I'd gone snowboarding for the day and had brought my camera. Being the photographer you usually don't get photographed and I thought the scene looked pretty awesome so I put it on my tripod, set the auto timer and ran to the spot lol.</p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Camera</th>

<td><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure</th>

<td>0.002 sec (1/640)</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Aperture</th>

<td>f/8.0</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Focal Length</th>

<td>15 mm</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>ISO Speed</th>

<td>100</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure Bias</th>

<td>-2/3 EV</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Lens Type</th>

<td>Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<div>00Z6YV-384095684.jpg.a4e493c968ccd939e2d17fe8d91297d3.jpg</div>

<p>Our police department contracted with another city for helicopter air support through a program called A.B.L.E. The other cash-strapped city dumped their entire air support program on July 1st and put the helicopter on ebay. Since then, three pursuits have terminated within a block of my house. I wonder if the criminals know that we no longer have a helicopter? <<Rhetorical.</p><div>00Z6Yc-384097584.JPG.83f45cb4b8a548924645e78866ed5372.JPG</div>

<p>It seems you and I are on the same path, Nathan. I also shot a wedding this past Saturday. It was my first "for profit" wedding. I don't really aspire to be a wedding photog, but, heck, I was able to pick up the 24-70mm f/2.8L with the earnings. The bride is a friend of mine from work and is a very low key person so I knew if I screwed up the pictures my life was probably not going to be threatened. Aside from the weather, it was over 100 degrees on Saturday and very high humidity, it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. <br>

BTW, that's a great shot, Nathan. </p><div>00Z6ZT-384113584.jpg.1aa1e093ca9a496a63fdf5043618d1f8.jpg</div>

<p>Nathan- such rich color and textures, quite striking.<br>

Jeff S -Harsh, bold and up close-somehow you've made this work. Really enjoy your posts here.<br>

James D- This is quite striking, I think it would have more impact (though less scale) if you were to crop out the city lights on the horizon and a little on the left. Nicely done!<br>

I was working the 4th turn at Wall Stadium this past Saturday when I heard a collision behind my position. I instinctively wheeled around and leveled the lens, firing off a quick two shot burst. The shot lit by the flash wasn't well focused. This is the second of the two, the flash hadn't cycled yet so it was severely underexposed, 4-5 stops. Normally I wouldn't try to salvage something this far gone, but figured what the heck. Went for a vintage, high ASA, grainy B+W feel. ISO 640 1/400 F2.8 </p><div>00Z6ZX-384115584.jpg.96712b4722bb3eda3639d088355cb444.jpg</div>

<p>This week one a little less confusing.<br>

My appletree has a lot of apples this year. And in the last week(s) my kiwi plant exploded (only 3 fruits) but it is taking over the garden, creeping up the appletree. The apples in the top of the tree are turning red. Was trying to get an angle on those, but the kiwi is in the way. So enden up with this. Still some branch of the kiwi in the shot.<br>

5dII, 70-200 2.8 L is, 550ex<br>

the apple is malus domestica Delcorf and the kiwi is actinidia deliciosa 'jenny'</p>

<p> </p><div>00Z6Zx-384121584.jpg.a31ef8bed61d409be9a2e7fb5c52f183.jpg</div>

<p>Last weekend we visited two old mills in northern Virginia, and although there are lots of shots of lovely stone walls and water running through the race I was happiest about being able to get some shots of the mill at Millwood, where they were grinding grain. All of these huge wooden gear components are lovingly made by hand by volunteers - and it was amazing to watch the whole mechanism work flawlessly.</p><div>00Z6aO-384125584.jpg.2124830628507641f0a8ffdfebcd3f09.jpg</div>

<p>I really have no official job title at ShadeTree Canopies, but my favorite responsibility is "corporate photographer". Tuesday I was asked to photograph this system, our "Biltmore" model, at a local restaurant, which is in or very near the Arena District in Columbus, OH. While this is not my personal favorite of the photos I took, it is the best from a product illustration point of view. The space was cramped, so I had to use the EFS 18-55 mm lens that came with my 20D several years back. I almost never use this lens, and was a bit concerned about using it, but everyone was satisfied with the results, so I guess I won't complain either.</p><div>00Z6aT-384127584.jpg.b36c964c3c01331b7c20ad63717a86f1.jpg</div>

<p>My last few outings haven't produced anything that interests me, so I will return to a series from this spring.</p>

<p>I went out one evening on 2011/04/24 after a lengthy period of cloud and rain because I expected some clearing. It was a bit chilly yet, but the sky was clearing nicely and the reflections in the lake were striking. This shot was taken from the boat landing at Lake Maria S.P. in Minnesota.</p>

<p>This shot is is violating a rule about having the horizon centered but I chose this one as an experimental study in balance, symmetry, and color.</p><div>00Z6b1-384147584.jpg.d0cf21bde37a9981111425fb7e5a9e87.jpg</div>

Love your wedding shot at the Seelbach, I actually live very close to there and it is a wonderful hotel to visit, just for

photo ops alone , I have to admit I am envious of the perfected mood you have captured on print, it is A very warm

setting that looks like a great magazine bridal shot,and I do a few weddings in the area,nice JOB to say the least.

<p>cool hi key portrait Jeff....</p>

<p>mine is from tuesday morning overlooking one of the rocky river's horseshoe bends.....then went down to the pond to try and get some shots of a green heron pair that are taking advantage of the bumper crop of frogs, minnows and crawfish.....got a few shot's but nothing worth posting</p>

<div>00Z6c7-384163684.jpg.283a0d146e178c3d2a5120896c617e73.jpg</div>