Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #29

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a rel="nofollow" href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We're starting a little early this week because I have to be up at 6:00 and my eyes are getting heavier by the minute; I hope no one minds. Happy Thursday to everyone and I am glad to say (although my wallet feels differently) that I can once again contribute to the Thursday thread. My computer malfunctioned so instead of spending more than it was worth to fix it I just bought a new one. I hope everyone had a great week and if this Thursday's photos are as good as last week's then we're in for a treat. </p>

<p> A special thanks to Mark Kissel as well for his weekly critiques. I know he has no obligation to do this yet he still sacrafices his time for the betterment of everyone else. Hopefully this hasn't become expected of him each week and we can all be thankful for any and all of his time when he does decide to give his perspective on our work.</p>

<p>Not having a computer to load up my weekly photo has been killing me lately, but I am back this week and I am very excited about my photo. On our way to a favorite pizza place a couple weeks ago I noticed a Belted Kingfisher perched on a power line over a creek next to the road. I had never seen a kingfisher before and this was only minutes from our house. I couldn't believe it. For this photo I found a frequent perch and staked out my spot in full camo. I'll also mention that I was wearing thick neoprene chest waders to get through the creek and it was 95 deg. and very humid. I had sat completely still and silent for an hour when this male came chattering down the alley to land on the perch directly in front of my lens. I got off two snaps and the shutter spooked him away. Needless to say I was on cloud 9 the rest of the day. It certainly isn't the best kingfisher photo on the site but I was proud to get it after the preparation and patience.</p><div>00Z4P0-381757584.jpg.b719d99d4c654c4cbf0f41df30b55784.jpg</div>

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I shoot for my kids swim team. This was one from the warm up session at this weekends meet. Using 70-200 + 2 extender. There's plenty of light in the outdoor summer meets so can stop down to f9 and still get 1/1250th at iso 500 on a 1dmkiin.<br>

rgds<br>

james</p><div>00Z4PS-381765584.jpg.cb236b4da27ae6a70b2380615794edc0.jpg</div>

<p>We just returned from our family vacation through Western Europe. Before going, I asked about photographing the Eiffel Tower and was questioned in the forum why I would be interested in doing so at all. This was the last photograph I took in Paris. I saw the shot developing, set up and when I knew I had it, put the camera down, enjoyed a glass of wine, and took in the moment. I am lucky to have a few ladies in my life that can make the moon shine - and this is one of them.</p><div>00Z4QL-381779584.jpg.dfe11265a50e989ade264ae2116e19d1.jpg</div>

<p>Some really nice shots again this week, as usual. Nathan, good to see you back. I've been trying to get a shot of a Kingfisher for two years, and haven't been able to get anywhere near that close. My contribution this week was taken while out at the local wetlands, looking for birds again. There were none to be found, but this Viceroy was very cooperative. I took a lot of pretty nice shots with my 100-300 zoom, then walked away to look for birds again, when I decided I should put the macro on the lens and see if he was still there. As I was shooting with the macro, I saw this bee land on the thistle for just a second before flying off again. I got lucky with my timing on the shot, and I think this is my favorite from the day. Shot with 50D, 100mm f2.8 non-USM macro (the original, slow focusing, but still a great lens after all these years), ISO 200, f3.5, 1/1000 second, handheld.</p><div>00Z4Qw-381789584.jpg.30e176bc64eef677fc986ece526800cf.jpg</div>

<p>This past week I took two day trips. One to Yosemite and one to the Mokelumne Wilderness, a bit south of Lake Tahoe. A couple of photos I took in Yosemite are probably the best of the two trips, but are of the oft photographed Half Dome and Yosemite Falls. <br>

This photograph is of Winnemucca Lake. When I started hiking I expected to see a bit of snow on the trail owing to the heavy winter and mild spring and early summer California has experienced. The trail was as I expected, dry with a few patches of snow, until I reached Frog Lake. But from Frog Lake to Winnemucca Lake I walked mostly on snow with a few muddy patches of trail. When I finally caught sight of Winnemucca Lake, at 9000 ft. elevation, I was taken aback by the amount of ice still on the lake on July 15. I have visited this lake many times and have never seen ice this late in the year.</p><div>00Z4R7-381791584.jpg.f41d4ca9437b5340f87715132a03c929.jpg</div>

<p>Thave been continuing my attempts to take flowers etc from low angles, it is for reasons i cant explain turning into a minor obsession of mine :-)<br>

Heres one of my better attempts and i have listened to Marks comments and got a better DOF(i think). Cheers Mark for the critiques each week, I do check back to see what has been posted and always like the mini critiques you offer.</p><div>00Z4RA-381793584.jpg.3e34f42940cfee032fc4ab99956eb3e3.jpg</div>

<p>The moon</p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr >

<th>Camera</th>

<td><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Exposure</th>

<td>0.003 sec (1/400)</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Aperture</th>

<td>f/2.8</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Focal Length</th>

<td>200 mm</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>ISO Speed</th>

<td>100</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure Bias</th>

<td>0 EV</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Lens Type</th>

<td>Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<div>00Z4RO-381799584.jpg.55a8053b461bc79f161352a9c5ba637b.jpg</div>

<p>Nathan, glad to see you're back. I'm extremely jealous of that Kingfisher shot! I see them about at times, but have never been able to get a good shot of one.</p>

<p>This is a Lubber Grasshopper. They don't fly, can't hop far despite their muscular looking legs, and they are clumsy walkers. But they are BIG. These guys get 3-4 inches in length and have a really unique coloration. I was unable to get the lighting just right for this shot and used a bit of fill from a shoe mounted flash, but probably could have used a bit more.</p>

<p> </p><div>00Z4SN-381821584.JPG.e76a636b3912c2d286cda72486accd9b.JPG</div>

<p><a href=" {Mini Flowers} src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/5939238174_4bd5fb1870_z.jpg" alt="{Mini Flowers}" width="427" height="640" /></a></p>

<p>Camera: Canon EOS 50D<br />Lens: Canon EF50mm f/1.4 USM<br />Exposure Program: Aperture-priority AE<br />Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)<br />Aperture: f/1.4<br />Focal Length: 50 mm<br />ISO Speed: 100<br />Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV<br />Flash: Off, Did not fire</p>

<p>Well, I would say we are off to a very good start. <strong>Nathan</strong>, glad to hear you are up and running again. That's a fantastic shot of the kingfisher. As Mark said, I have seen them but they always split when I raise the camera. <strong>Jeff</strong>, I do see love in those eyes. There are many great shots here already.<br>

According to someone I spoke to yesterday, this is only the fourth time a ibis has been seen in PA. I am not sure how accurate that is but I capture this shot very early last Saturday morning. A juvenile white ibis.</p><div>00Z4Sn-381833584.jpg.6f7a36bb91dc96e60d788a78cb722356.jpg</div>