Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #24

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thurs day threads are <a rel="nofollow" href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday to everyone! Hope everyone is doing well and your cameras are staying warm. Apparently there was a lunar eclipse not too long ago that lasted quite awhile and turned the moon a rare red color. I don't believe it was visible from the U.S. though. I'm sure JDM can add more about this. </p>

<p>I didn't take many photos at all this week unfortunately, but I did play with a photo of a flower (a tulip I guess, I'm not a flower expert either). Of the small amount of snaps I took in the yard this was the only one with acceptable sharpness, exposure, etc. It was pretty bland in color and the b/w alowed me to black out the background without making the photo suffer. Certainly not my favorite photo, but I try to post a photo taken during the past week if at all possible. </p>

<p>Let's see what you guys and gals shot this week. Anyone get the eclipse?</p><div>00YthN-369819584.jpg.ceb2964f523fec50c8ce4fb5da8ffe6f.jpg</div>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Taken from the Morro Bay beach near Morro Rock of the smoke stacks.</p>

<p> </p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr >

<th>Camera</th>

<td><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Exposure</th>

<td>0.002 sec (1/500)</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Aperture</th>

<td>f/11.0</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Focal Length</th>

<td>85 mm</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>ISO Speed</th>

<td>100</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure Bias</th>

<td>-1/3 EV</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Lens Type</th>

<td>Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p> </p><div>00YtiX-369843584.jpg.389d07e62061faf647261ec42e23eb8a.jpg</div>

<p>My friends got married and asked me to take the photos. It was only the 2nd wedding I had done in over 25 years.<br>

The 5D+Sigma 50/1.4 and 5D+24-105 both worked well, but my 7D developed an error 30 problem, which made life a little stressful.<br>

<br />This was one of the getting ready shots straight out of the camera.<br /><a title="The Knight Wedding by Peter Meade, on Flickr" href=" The Knight Wedding src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/5825658374_e331f50804_z.jpg" alt="The Knight Wedding" width="426" height="640" /></a></p>

<p>What a terrific start to Canon Thursday this week. You folks never cease to amaze me with you skill and eye for composition. I pat you all on the back!</p>

<p>Nathan - looks like it might be some type of lily.<br /> Brad - I believe the pup is posing for you.<br /> Jeff S - speechless.<br /> Lupo - what time is dinner this evening?<br /> Tomek - interesting exploration of contrast.<br /> Michael E - I like the waxwings. Nice to get three in one shot!<br /> James D - looks like he's saying, "Are you going to take the photo or what?" Nice portrait.<br /> Ervin - brrrr. Looks a little like an HDR.<br /> Spencer - looks like these are sprouting right out of the earth.<br /> Bruce - great colors. Get that horizon out of the center!<br /> DL - big, bold, flashy colors...love it!<br /> Lee D - very nice. I don't have a good shot of a blue jay. I'll keep trying.<br /> Karen W - I like the "half" shot of the dandelion. I wonder if this type of shot could be improved with slightly more depth of field. Good conversion.<br /> Mike N - terrific family photo; next time get that letter thingie out of there. Cute kid!<br /> Phil B - where is that bandshell?<br /> Peter M - sorry to hear about the 7D problems. At least you had the backup. Good portrait.<br /> Jan - I don't know what it is either; from a search online, it looks like it might be a Velorex Oskar.<br /> Wayne - nice flower. Looks like the orange bits are glowing.<br /> Hadi - good fun shot.</p>

<p>This is a tiny, tiny fly - about the length of a a sharpened pencil lead. The body is iridescent.</p>

<p> </p><div>00Ytle-369907584.JPG.016189c569a2aa56d1cbc4e6966daf5b.JPG</div>

<p>The lunar eclipse was supposed to appear during moon rise in South America. However, I never saw it. So, here is a shot from last week. I took my daughter to the beach to fly her kite and then we took pictures of the fishermen and boats. Here's one of those pictures in an attempt at B & W conversion.</p><div>00Ytli-369909584.jpg.ef163afad680e7da540677bbe34b496b.jpg</div>