Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #22

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thurs day threads are <a rel="nofollow" href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry I'm late this morning, but I was trying to find some info on my photo, then after I wrote up the thread my finger must have slipped and hit a special hot key that apparently closes all browser windows and I lost everything...so this is the shortened version because I'm too lazy to write it all again. I hope everyone had a great weekend. It was Memorial Day in the States and I hope everyone remembered why we were celebrating and thought about the soldiers that fought for the freedom that allows us to fire up our grills.</p>

<p>I went to Chicago Tuesday and passed the Indiana wind farms on the way. Here's a shot of some of the windmills. There's about a 20 mile stretch on I-65 between Chi-town and Indy where these are as far as you can see. A 1 second blade blur would've been cool, but I didn't have the tripod and oddly enough not very few were actually spinning despite 30+mph winds. </p><div>00YpAX-364981584.jpg.5898aa41f1c2b61b9c09665894093a54.jpg</div>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Nathan, here is my finger slipping story......So, I know this is a bit gross, but there are a couple of lessons here. Lesson one is that you should not wear a ring when working in a workshop. I’m 42 years young and have been a constant woodworker hobbyist for the past 20 or so years. I know my tools and have very rarely injured myself, until this last Saturday. I was drilling a piece of wood on my drill press. As I lifted the wood off the table, I momentarily lost concentration and did not exactly watch where my hand was going. As I pulled my hand vertically upwards, the tip of the drill bit (still rotating at 2000rpm) slid down between by wedding ring and my finger. There was quite some chattering and swearing at that point, as the drill bit realised it was far easier to dig into my soft and supple flesh, that it was to dig through the gold wedding ring. So I managed to switch of the machine and examine my poorly finger. Really I was very very lucky. If the drill bit had seriously dug into the ring, it would have twisted and easily severed or more seriously injured my finger. Although the drill gouged the inside of the ring, it got more purchase on my finger, than the ring, and I got off lightly with a fairly superficial surface wound. So lesson one is don’t wear a ring when working with machinery. Lesson two is that iso 3200 is not too noisy if you have plenty of light. It is very very difficult to try to take a halfway decent image of ones’ own injured hand. I had to set iso3200 on my 5d with my 100mm macro fully open at f2.8 to get a 250<sup>th</sup> of a second. In order to combat the hand shake I had to put my injured hand on the windowsill in the sunlight and press with my other hand the camera against the wall and hold my breath and calmly press the shutter. I can tell you it was tricky as my hand was hurting and holding 5d, battery pack and 100mm macro with my other hand and not get any camera shake is not easy. But as I was taking it I was already thinking of writing this post so I could share lesson one with you all. So there you have it. 1. Don’t wear rings and 2. ISO 3200 is not always bad.<br /> rgds,<br /> James<br /> PS ….4 days later finger has not yet dropped off and is healing nicely.</p><div>00YpAd-364983584.jpg.3649b6a6f7f3d0fe45feeae647783f6c.jpg</div>

<p>In 2009 I was in Arizona for my job. Fortunately, I had weekends off and took advantage of the time to do some traveling and take a few pictures with my new (at the time) 5D II. This shot was taken in Joshua Tree NP, one of my favorite places in the SW.</p>

<p>I was heading out of the park toward I10 when I spotted this ice crystal rainbow in the clouds. I took a few shots and it became part of my collection.</p><div>00YpB6-365003584.jpg.d5585b873812f1598a9e049e5ee0f3a0.jpg</div>

<p>Hello all! This weeks thred is starting out quit nice some great shots; love the gopher and the ice rainbow. James, been there, done that, so I can empathize, drilled my knee doing sheet metal ducting in a 130 degree attic. The body is an amazing thing, we often recover.</p>

<p>Memorial Day weekend is time for the county fair here in Sacramento. My daughter was quite busy with FFA events in the early morning. This gave me an opportunity to check out most the place before the crowds arrived. This was one of the more colorful shots - good old fair food!</p>

<p>-Dave</p><div>00YpBX-365013584.jpg.f58731d28ddaa73060a40dea533df3dc.jpg</div>

<p>Taken in Death Valley from a couple months ago. Picture of the mountains across from Badwater I believe.</p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr >

<th>Camera</th>

<td><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Exposure</th>

<td>0.001 sec (1/800)</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Aperture</th>

<td>f/11.0</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<th>Focal Length</th>

<td>38 mm</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>ISO Speed</th>

<td>100</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<th>Exposure Bias</th>

<td>-4/3 EV</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<th>Lens Model</th>

<td>EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<div>00YpC3-365015684.jpg.d9fca51d09ffd648428a41d16267537f.jpg</div>

<p>Nice work so far. <strong>Harry</strong>, thanks for the shot of the Pentax guy. A few years ago when I got "back" into photography, my first digital camera purchase was a Pentax K10D, a very nice camera. Today's entry was shot with my Canon 7D.</p><div>00YpD2-365037584.jpg.034b020ed24cdb65d0e72cead94dc693.jpg</div>

<p>@ Nathan - needs something in the shot to give a sense of scale. These things are huge. I'll forgive you this one, since you were shooting from a moving truck.<br>

@ James D - yes, you <strong>were</strong> lucky. If you check statistics, most woodworking accidents occur either very early in one's career (by the very inexperienced) or later, after considerable experience (when one gets careless doing routine work). Thanks for sharing the lesson.<br>

@ Jeff S - who is that? I don't know how you manage to break the traditional photo "rules" and still come up with a such a good photo. Mine just look like I broke the rules. Nice intense portrait! <br>

@ Mike Dixon - wow, the lead singer is really belting it out. I can almost hear the music when I look at this photo.<br>

@ JDM - don't know what NR you used, but it looks like a pretty clean photo at that exposure. Abe never looked better!<br>

@ Mark P - haven't seen one of those around here...ever. We just get the ice crystal halo around the moon occasionally.<br>

@ Eric S - Nice shot of the gopher. I'm not typically a fan of square framing for wildlife, but this one works as a portrait.<br>

@ DL - Nice capture of the great colors in the concession booth. At that aperture, I'm surprised the far end is still in pretty good focus.<br>

@ Brad - Interesting mural...and an even more interesting subject. The two just don't go together, but somehow, they do. I like the vignetting in this shot; works well. 7/7<br>

@ Harry J - When I look at this one, I immediately thought of Jimmy Olsen from the Superman comic series. Nice retro capture of your friend!<br>

@ Spencer - That's a barren looking landscape. I like the light on the peaks of the mountains.<br>

@ Karen W - Ah, the bane of the flower kingdom. I like the background. Would like to see a bit more DOF.<br>

@ Robert C - Good capture of the blue darter. Colors are just a tad rich but the blue and green work nice together.<br>

@ Peter M - I clicked through to the Flicker shot. Looks much better in the larger size.</p>

<p>Nice work, all!</p>

<p>I had a hard time selecting something for this Thursday. My wife and I are on vacation this week and I haven't shot much. Here is a flower shot from a botanical garden from this past Saturday. I liked the lighting at that moment.</p>

<p> </p><div>00YpDY-365047684.jpg.d4ef83b2323093ed21af104508438385.jpg</div>

<p>Harry, I too appreciate the retro shot. I still have the two Pentax Spotmatics I bought while in VietNam. They got me through an Associate Degree in Commercial Photography back in the early 1970's, and I think they are in better shape today than I am. Today, I debated between herons or flowers, then decided to upload this guy, shot Saturday afternoon while out teaching my 14 yr old daughter a bit of photography. My shot of the damsel fly, using my macro on a tripod was only marginally better than she got using the same macro handheld on her EOS 10D. </p><div>00YpEW-365061584.jpg.727334d26d9aa6addbd6927e7ba2305d.jpg</div>

<p>Happy Thursday to All. As usual, I'm enjoying the submissions.<br /> James, I'm sure if I drilled my hand, my first thought would not be to grab my camera. You're a brave lad.<br /> My difficult choice of shots from yesterday - go cute with a raccoon, or exotic with an endangered species. I've never had a tortoise in my house (another story) so I'll choose Mr. Gopher Tortoise. This is upland habitat in an urban park, St. Petersburg, FL. Not too many years ago the state had to pass a law preventing developers from burying entire colonies of Gopher Tortoise while preparing land for building. Now, developers are supposed to excavate and relocate the critters, but I'm dubious if a sincere effort is made. Remember, this is Florida, where an eagle's nest is just an inconvenience to be destroyed before development.<br /> This dude seemed intent to continue munching his greens while two of us approached, and accommodated our discussion of his attributes.<br>

5DMk2, 1/125 sec; ISO 200; F10; EF-L 100-400m @ 380m, hand held.</p><div>00YpFb-365087584.jpg.dfb3ec6346d24b82026f133d895ccb12.jpg</div>