Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #21

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thurs day threads are <a rel="nofollow" href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday to everyone! Again , there are heavy storms in the Midwest as I am posting this. Hopefully the power doesn't go out and I have to post from my phone. I took this week's photo in Hilton Head, SC on Friday morning. I got up early and made my way back to the forest preserve where there are a couple lakes in which the osprey get their breakfast. The lakes, or ponds, are quite large and one didn't come down close enough to get a fish grabbing action shot, but I was pleased with this aerial shot. I like the yellow eyes, they're 'focused.' What did you see this week?</p><div>00Ymvi-362559584.jpg.f6f70363964153a17aa609a352b4f02c.jpg</div>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Yes, I know it’s far from original, but this is my take on the highly photographed El Capitan rockface in Yosemite Valley. Photo from 2009 vacation, but given the B&W treatment this weekend. 5dmkI, 85 1.2 @f10 160<sup>th</sup> at iso100<br>

rgds,<br>

james</p>

<div>00Ymvq-362561584.jpg.e3e6b78a077c478bcdfacc9dc43201ab.jpg</div>

<p>I found a pond at a local Metro Park where there has been a Great Blue Heron mosti evenings on my way home from work. This is from yesterday evening. I spent about an hour at the pond and got a real nice variety of shots, and though the light wasn't perfect, I was pretty happy with the results. I sure do wish I had some "L" glass, though. <br>

Canon EOS 50D, EF 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM at f 5.6, 1/250 sec, ISO 800.</p><div>00Ymvs-362563584.jpg.15f98291782a27bfc536b3003f99e847.jpg</div>

<p>A little pressed for time this morning, but a few comments...</p>

<p>@Nathan - love the curl of those wingtips! It's hard to get the timing right for that.<br>

@James Dean - Ansel would be proud.<br>

@Dan F - good GBH. I see you shot this at 300mm. I have a 70-300 and mine is a little soft at 300.<br>

@Jeff S - perfect! 7/7<br>

@Brad - the dog really makes this shot, IMHO.<br>

@David Storm - something tells me the eagle didn't want to be photographed...not sure.<br>

@Gil - cute pup. Can't see the eyes. Where is your flash?<br>

@Ian - great portrait. Perfect focus/DOF.<br>

@David R - now *I* want to go to the beach.<br>

@Mike Dixon - that is dim lighting! Making that 5DII work for you! Not sure I like the cymbal in the front; slightly distracting.<br>

@James F - took me a moment to get the orientation. Thought that water ought to be running off the left side of the photo.<br>

@Karen W - nice backlit shot of the bee. Love the colors.<br>

@Phil B - interesting effect in the sky colors.<br>

@Lupo - dang it, man, it's not even 7am and now I want lunch. Nice lighting (as usual).<br>

@Robert C - great mirror image, lighting/exposure is just right. I think its "peony" or "peonies" if more than one.<br>

@Hadi - who needs telephoto anyway? ;-) Nice flower shot with the dew.<br>

@Bill K - we don't have those around these parts. Interesting waterfowl.</p>

<p>I shot this Pekin Robin in the aviary at our zoo last weekend. Lighting was horrendous. Very overcast. Dark, dark, dark in the aviary.</p>

<p> </p><div>00YmzC-362615584.jpg.610d975daf1ef1b0d64c3da1e1e8e473.jpg</div>

<p>Mark, Thanks. My 100-300 is soft at 300, too. For now, I make the most I know how out of what I have. I'm hoping to be able to upgrade glass sometime in the next several months, and debating between the 100-400L or the 300L f4 plus 1.4 extender. In the meantime, I have plenty of work I can do on polishing my skills and technique. I always look forward to seeing your weekly contribution, and this week's shot is superb, as usual.</p>

<p>Canon EOS 30D; Canon 24-70mm f2.8; 24mm focal length; ISO 320; f22 @ 1.5 sec, Canon 550EX flash<br />Actually I took this a while back, I didn't get out much this week.<br />I was standing in the middle of an island between the intersections of two major streets on Lee Highway in Alexandria VA. Those cars were really traveling at very high speed to the point where it got a little scary !</p><div>00Yn0U-362641584.jpg.3a309077a70e2f8fd6996b12499cbab8.jpg</div>