Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #17

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Important</strong>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? The general guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a rel="nofollow" href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, its finals week for me, but that shouldn't keep all of you from getting some great shots and posting them here. I didn't get out much yet again this week, lots of studying and end of the semester work to do since I'm an expert procrastinator. </p>

<p>Anyways, I did prance around in the yard to try to shoot a few birds. The neighbors probably think I'm nuts, either that or really creepy hiding in the yard with my long lens. I got a shot of a tree swallow that's using our bluebird house. I like the photo, but I'd prefer to get a shot of a bird on a tree, not a fence. Maybe its just me, but I hate to take nature shots with manmade objects in them. The telephone pole on the left distracts the bokeh too. I don't think its a bad photo, I'm just pickey. I don't think I've ever taken a photo I didn't find something wrong with. Is anyone else like this? I don't want to sound pretentious, but I guess if you can't find ways to improve then what's the point in photography?</p><div>00YdqQ-352831784.jpg.916b46f03cbf407ff5a0d500b1c0a2c6.jpg</div>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Hi all,<br /> <br />I am the first to admit this was not my idea, I actually got it from <a href="../casual-conversations-forum/00YSnc">this thread</a>. I told the team at fstoppers and <a href="http://fstoppers.com/no-these-are-not-photos-of-ghosts-or-ufos">they posted it too</a>, it seems the technique is not new but Denis does seem to have perfected his style.<br /> <br />So I got home rather late earlier in the week and the moon was out so I gave it a go, great fun and I didn't think too shabby for a first attempt :-) <br /> <br />17mm lens at f4 with a ten minute exposure.<br /> <br />My last post for a month or two as I am off to do some real work, I am packing for my 05:30 flight :-(</p>

<p>I agree with you Nathan, it is very rare that I am 100% happy with a shot. Good excuse to keep trying till we are happy.....</p><div>00YdqU-352831684.jpg.863841a3063610e6c7b4bc3fce09ec2b.jpg</div>

<p>This is my neighbors cat. I'm not sure what his name is, so I'll call him Mr. Bob, after my neighbors name. He's a pretty fat cat and takes it upon himself to munch on the food we leave out for my cat Tommy. Everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, he'll join Tommy for a meal. He's a nice cat and quite friendly. I've been wanting to get some shots of him, but I never quite had the opportunity. So today I followed him around for a bit and he ended up posing for me on this little ledge.</p>

<p>Unfortunately our photo session ended abruptly. I had made the mistake of leaving the back door open just a little too wide and next thing I know my two dogs come running out and zoom, off goes Mr. Bob, with my dogs trailing behind. I then proceeded to chase my dogs around for 5 minutes trying to get them back inside. Fortunately Mr Bob went unscathed. He may be fat, but he sure can run.</p>

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="610.0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td valign="middle">

<p>Camera</p>

</td>

<td valign="middle">

<p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/">Canon EOS 7D</a></p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td valign="middle">

<p>Exposure</p>

</td>

<td valign="middle">

<p>0.001 sec (1/800)</p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td valign="middle">

<p>Aperture</p>

</td>

<td valign="middle">

<p>f/2.8</p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td valign="middle">

<p>Focal Length</p>

</td>

<td valign="middle">

<p>200 mm</p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td valign="middle">

<p>ISO Speed</p>

</td>

<td valign="middle">

<p>320</p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td valign="middle">

<p>Exposure Bias</p>

</td>

<td valign="middle">

<p>0 EV</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Lens Model EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM</p>

<div>00Ydqc-352833684.jpg.fe7ad9a283701aaaa508fe80c5731f75.jpg</div>

<p>Well, I tried out my 'new' Rapid Omega 100 with a 90mm Hexanon. Since I could not get 220 film for its magazine locally, I used some Ilford XP2 120 film. I actually got 10 pictures, although the ones at the end and the beginning were a little truncated. I hope I'll be forgiven since I haven't shot my Canon cameras this week, except for the picture of the Omega itself.....</p>

<p>Here's a detail of some dogwood blossoms from the last partial image. Does it help any that it was scanned on a Canon 9950F?</p><div>00Ydqo-352837684.jpg.820fa3d5d144bad496e5cd43cf5ab613.jpg</div>

<p>I stood watching this Red-tail Hawk for what seemed like an hour, waiting for it to fly. When it did, this was the best shot I got of the sequence. Its been raining every day since, it seems, but when it stops I'll be going back to the park where he's been hanging out, hoping for another try.</p><div>00YdrN-352851584.jpg.7bd28951941bb1d03bcebfee4b537961.jpg</div>

<p>I agree completely Nathan, there again I'm rarely even remotely satisfied with any pics I take so I guess my quest is even harder :) I spent the holiday in Chichester in southern England and the cathedral has its fair share of gargoyles. This is less subtle than most.</p><div>00YdsQ-352865584.jpg.fecb945cbbe8b4abfc85516c719d08b3.jpg</div>

<p>Photo of my daughter again this week, I'm like Nathan rarely entirely happy with my photos! I took this over the Easter weekend, i love the way the dark of the background follows Lizzie's face but wish i had caught the dandelion seeds as they flew away also the wind caught her hair to cover her eyes a bit too much. I only cropped in a little to put her more to the left, over all I pleased but could always do better :-)</p><div>00Ydt5-352877584.jpg.57e5a11e4b9d43bc09440e7efe552afc.jpg</div>

<p>I saw this guy looking for his lunch but he was rather far away. I was thrilled when he headed towards me. Osprey with lunch, though perhaps someone can tell me what exactly the meal for the day was. Not nearly as good of a shot as many of the others posted here, but one of the best BIF I've managed in a while.</p><div>00YdtI-352883584.jpg.7bd98a8c7eb2a3a480b37852917b69e0.jpg</div>

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

Great photos this week; hawk by Dan, Osprey by Robert, Karen's daughter, (tree?) swallow by Nathan to name a few.<br>

Last Sunday I was able to get out and shoot some pictures of the birds and this is one of the better ones.<br>

Regards,</p>

<p>Hadi</p><div>00Ydu2-352887584.jpg.88f17ba249481726ee203dbb831006a6.jpg</div>

<p><a title="Funktion by Dean Schreuder, on Flickr" href=" Funktion src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5105/5663268958_f32a2b8f83_z.jpg" alt="Funktion" width="640" height="427" /></a></p>

<p><strong>FUNKTION @ Billy's Lounge, Grand Rapids, Michigan.</strong></p>

<p>Camera: Canon EOS 7D<br />Lens: Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM<br />Exposure Program: Manual<br />Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)<br />Aperture: f/9.0<br />Focal Length: 70 mm<br />ISO Speed: 1600<br />Exposure Bias: 0 EV<br />Flash: On, Fired<br /><br />A Canon 430EX II speedlite with a 1/2 CTO gel is camera left and a Canon 430EX II with a blue gel is camera right. Both were triggered with a 580EX II mounted to the camera using Canon's wireless flash system (the flash output mode was set to manual and controlled in camera).</p>

<p>@ Nathan - I would agree...the day I'm totally satisfied with my photos will be the day I hang up the camera strap for good.<br /> @ Scott F - I saw that video previously (think it was linked from somewhere on this site). Interesting technique. I would say you nailed it for a first try!<br /> @ Spencer - Great capture of Mr. Bob!<br /> @ Ervin - I really like this one of your father. Nicely done.<br /> @ Robert C - Not bad at all. For BIF, I've had reasonably good success with slightly larger apertures and faster shutter speeds with that lens.</p>

<p>Here's a shot of my sister's new mutt, Baby. Baby was not too keen about having her photo made.</p><div>00YduG-352889584.jpg.124b1c2290efbc9aacb75653844bec21.jpg</div>

<p>I just got back from a trip to Israel (my first) to visit family. This is a shot that I took at Masada. The people are walking down the mountain - not an easy task. It was hot and the walk is long but, very scenic. Just a note of thanks to the people of this forum for suggesting that I purchase the 15-85mm lens. It was an excellent choice. It was the only lens that I used for the entire trip. </p><div>00YduQ-352891684.jpg.b8db44702e694fee11c19006ebf83186.jpg</div>