Canon teaser ads for new DSLR - It won't be too long...

hawkman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant wait. Its killing me. Reason? I own a 1D3 and love the high ISO capability. I was told by some people in the

business that Canon has been experimenting with a new "Low" voltage tech. with its new sensor stuff. Supposed to

cut noise in half. I didnt think much of it. You know... the ones who really know aint telling.

But see the new 50D. Canon reports to cut 50D noise by more than 1 stop even after cramming 5 million more pixels

in the same area. Now imagine if the 1D3 gets only 12mp with the new stuff. Or even 15. The density is still less. I'm

getting chills right now thinking

about it. This is just a taste. I'm starting to think my info holds some water.

Imagine what the 5DII will bring to the table. Then, what the new 1 Series will do. If all specs are right "when" a 1D3n

comes, someone will get a nice deal on a 1D3. I dont care about the AF BS. Mines been great. I'm after the new

LCD and better ISO if its leaps ahead of whats already wonderfull. If not much better, I'll keep it. But boy Canon

really knows how to stir anticipation. A - Holes!:-)

>>>"voltage has nothing to do with noise, it saves power."<<<

According to Canon it does....less voltage also reduces heat, that inturn means less noise. That is were long exposures always meant more noise if done one right after the other, the sensor heats up and noise becomes more of an issue.

Jason

saying it's 'evolutionary' suggests a new kind of body. 5D mark 2 or a consumer full-frame body (including a pink 'for her' model) would be nice, but those aren't 'evolutionary' moves, they're simply new

models. an evolution would be something that can shoot both ef and ef-s lenses, or a has new kind of

sensor, or a shutter-less camera (or a non-mechanical shutter).

or...all this could just be advertising hype. still, it's cool to think canon has a real innovation. they'd be

the ones to get there first. either way i'm getting a new canon in a few weeks -- whether it's just a new

model or a true evolution in dslr technology remains to be seen.

"According to Canon it does....less voltage also reduces heat, that inturn means less noise. That is were long exposures always meant more noise if done one right after the other, the sensor heats up and noise becomes more of an issue. "

Well for long exposures it might but not for normal high iso, I think the lower voltage is mainly due to extended use of live view. btw, where did you read from Canon that they said they are using a lower voltage sensor?

It's going to have the new "blink" prevention technology....

Canon has made a major breakthrough with a solution to that age-old problem in photography, where your subjects always seem to manage to blink at the very moment you press the shutter release.

Working in conjunction with redeye reduction, face recognition and the AF assist system, the camera will now project an energy beam that grips your subjects' eyelids and holds them open until after the shutter is released. Just imagine, no more photos with eyes closed!

It will be called "Eye Control II" and will finally conquer one of the last remaining frontiers of photography.

Commence drooling.

Note: I got this info from a very solid source... My brother-in-law knows the sister of someone who works at the photo counter in Walgreens.

Rumour threads have a short life...

But after a long day at work these are soooo much fun to read...

LoL

Damian

If th energy beam works, perhaps it could be used for in-body stabilisation... Or perhaps the MkIII model will simply freeze the subjects - now it works on subject movement too ;-)

Bob's going to remove me for this irrelevant twaddle of course!

Arash> I was told that they are using lower voltage systems. The entire system operates on lower voltage. Noise is

created from higher voltage signals by boosting ISO. Go from 400 to 800 and you double the voltage signals which in

turn creates digital noise.

Anytime you amplify an electrical signal, it creates noise. Now for sake of conversation because I have no idea what

parameters are used. Lets say they cut the voltage used by ever component to work with half the voltage the current

models use(more efficent) then because the voltage is less it would have less digital noise impact on the image.

Also what Jason said, runs cooler which drops noise levels, but obviously not by half. This would say maybe provide

a 25% better noise level while the impact of the other would stack up to a total of half the noise level. Or 1 stop.

This could still turn out not true as I said. But its starting to look like it holds some water looking at the tease we got

from the 50D. Canon itself says the 50D 3200 ISO would be equivilent to 40D ISO 1100-1600. Per Canon. Even after

cramming an additional 50% more pixles in. I think the 5DII will out do this improvemnet, and thus the 1 will be even

better. Maybe matching the future 1D3n ISO 6400=50D ISO 1100-1600 or in that range.

Lets be realistic and say Canon adds 50% pixel count to 5DII. Giving it around 18MP. Its only 3MP more than the

50D but with a larger sensor to space the congestion. Add the new tech and I think its gonna be pretty good. I would

personally like to see it as a 14MP FF with the new stuff and really hit a homerun with this noise thing. They've done

it before, why not again. Whos to say they dont keep it like Nikon and stay 12mp just for pixel density benifits and

leave the High MP count for the guys in studios or broad daylight who seldom leave 400 ISO anyway. Give them

the 1Ds Mark 3 for D3x competition. None the less, we'll see in 3 weeks if any of us are right or way off.