Canon T90

john falkenstine

VERY good metering on this camera. I take these shots on purpose. With Bright Arizona lighting, some cameras don't make the grade, giving me blown out pictures. This one is consistent. Bought it used with a 28mm, 50mm and 100mm lens set. All of the lenses work and look like new. Here's another one done just to check exposure. In this case I used the great internal light meter and its scale to take numerous readings, from very blinding bright outside to dark parts of the chairs. Then I made the exposure. Usually in such cases the bright outside would be totally overexposed. Using the tools that this camera has gave an acceptable exposure.<div>00Hq1x-32020584.jpg.9bd3ea5338792dce78b83cbc527f8778.jpg</div>

Very nice shots, John! "Sam raphael valley" demonstrates the really excellent light metering of the T90 and its small dependence on filters for good photography. With such metering system, almost anything is possible. The photo "Mario's" is one of those situations, when a tiny domain of the exposure values is the best. And you can really find that using the multispot metering feature - great!

Indeed it is an excellent camera. I use it heavily myself, and up to now there were no lighting problems for me that were unsolvable with my T90. For any given situation there is a solution that you can work out using its incomparable light metering possibilities. And if we also consider the manual corrections in 1/3-steps then we have such a balanced yet incredibly versatile metering system. But may I add some things more, that make this camera so special to me:

1) The nice possibility to see through the lense in working apperture mode. One can exactly see the effects of narrowing/widening the apperture - less light, more DoF, or more light less DoF. This is a great and easy way to choose exactly the DoF one wants to have. In combination with metering and a huge range of exposition times (From 1/4000s up to bulb), this gives us all the possibilities we need.

2) The camera is built virtually like a tank. Robust, trusty, very very resistant body, always ready to shoot. I have mine for years now, and I bought it second hand. And still it works perfectly!

3) The good old T90 is such an enery preserving wonder! You really forget when the camera had its last battery change. Out on the field you just take a spare battery pack just in case, and that's all you have to care. Simple common AA you can find anywhere.

Cheers and best wishes,

Nick

Nice shots, but I find the metering discussion a bit puzzling. All meters, provided they work properly, meter the same thing. If ou know what that is and how to use it, I really don't see how the metering in your camera could make or break a shot for you. Key word being "if"...

The meter in the T90 is one of the most advanced meters around. It allows you multiple spotmeter readings, showing you their relative values to each other. I "perfected" slide film exposure in tough situations with the T90. The meter willnot "make a photo"but it will assist the photographer to be a better photographer from a technical perspective.

Raid