Canon T5i LCD Screen goes Blank

wgpinc

<p>I was using my new Canon T5i with around 400 actuations so far today in some light rain and the LCD went blank. I had the 55-250mm STM lens mounted at first when it blanked out. I took it back into the house and replaced the battery which was getting low with a freshly charged battery. The LCD came back on so I went over to the local Farmer's Market, changed to the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 and took a bunch of pictures. The barrel of the lens got wet even though I was using an umbrella. Eventually the LCD blanked out again. Back to the car and up the road a bit, put the 55-250mm STM lens on and shot some horse pictures. The LCD stayed on but there was no rain by then. Curious if this a function of the rebel bodies that when the lens gets wet the LCD shuts off which of course would be unacceptable or if it is a bug that needs to go to the Canon repair?<br>

A second and more minor issue is that when I plugged my SD card into my card reader it appeared on the monitor screen but the Canon utility that usually appears to let me download the pictures never came up. I recently updated my iMac to OS X 10.12.1 Sierra from 10.9.5. Do I need anew utility version or what?</p>

<p>Rain and cameras don't go together very well. Also keep in mind that Canon probably won't honor the warranty when there is water damage. <br>

More expensive bodies (1-series) are better shielded against water drops, your combo of the T5i and 55-250 definitely is not. You can buy inexpensive rain covers that will help in cases like this. <br>

The card reader issue: probably a setting in the Canon software. Personally i prefer this to be off in order to avoid programs to start when I insert a usb device but YMMV. </p>

<p>These things happen when you change a system. Life is too short to wonder why. Just see if you can/must upgrade the Canon software and instruct it to run when a cardreader is connected. It's usually a setting in the preferences part of the software. Setting it to your personal preferences takes less time than wondering about why it happened.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A second and more minor issue is that when I plugged my SD card into my card reader it appeared on the monitor screen but the Canon utility that usually appears to let me download the pictures never came up. I recently updated my iMac to OS X 10.12.1 Sierra from 10.9.5. Do I need anew utility version or what?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think Apple is expecting you to use the Photos app for uploads (I disabled it on my Mac). However, you probably need to Canon.com and update to the greatest version of EOS Utility. Canon may need a few months to catch up to the latest OS update. Canon now requires inputting the serial number from your camera to start the download. Once installed, I think you have to set a preference on EOS Utility to automatically open when you insert your card.</p>

<p>Or you could just drag 'n drop the file from your SD card to a chosen folder on your Mac. That's my preferred method.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter