Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 (Prima Super 120)

<p>I've read a lot about this camera and how it's such a great compact camera with such a great lens. Matt Denton raves about it on his site, and several others spoke very highly about it as well. First of all, it's the Prima Super 120, or Sure Shot Classic 120 as marketed here in the US. It is compact in size, but it has quite a hefty feel to it. The metal looking parts are actually metal, aluminum to be precise, and the camera has a high-quality feel to it. The only down side to using it is that the flash always extends when the camera is on, even if you disable it. There are several very useful settings, including a 'Personal' setting which allows you to set up the camera the way you want, albeit with a relatively small number of options, but they are useful options such as Spot meter versus evaluative metering. There is a very handy little door on the back left portion of the camera that hides several buttons for activating some of these features, and a main dial that is very similar to the one found on EOS cameras. The lens is the real jewel on this camera. It is quite sharp and renders colors beautifully. Even more impressive though, is the lack of flare when shooting directly into the sun! I took it out for a stroll several days ago and got a few shots of the area around us. I was quite happy with the way the camera performed and will certainly put it to use a lot more!</p><div>00a7Eu-448615584.jpg.0636cadea7251bc5dd49cdef6595178d.jpg</div>

<p>This is a very cool camera, <em>much</em> nicer than I ever expected and one you should definitely experience. It is certainly worthy of all of the high praise it receives. I will definitely keep this one and put it to use a lot! As usual my pics were shot on Fuji Superia X-Tra 400. Thanks for looking!</p>

<p><strong>Andy</strong>, Thanks for an interesting post.<br />Good to see that You are excited about Your Classic 120. I really like mine (You probably saw my review of this camera)... Great camera among P&S... <br>

<strong>Kelly</strong>, many users are complaining about battery door... But they don't know that it's not designed for coins.<br /><strong>With original camera strap there is a plastic "key" designed to open battery door</strong>, together with a small tip to reach film rewind button. </p>

<p>Nice presentation, Andy. I'm quite surprised by the picture quality. I bought a pair of these a few years ago but never got around to using them. I guess I'd better put that on my 'to do' list. Well, maybe when the weather around Seattle is a little less foul.</p>

<p>Maciek, I forgot about the plastic key! I'm sitting here struggling with a coin when I read your post... What hurts is that I <em>knew</em> about the key.</p>

<p>Thank you, Fred. I gave my significant other three sets of pictures to compare, one each from this camera, my Yashica T4, and my Olympus Stylus Epic. Being a photographer herself, she has a very good eye for picture quality, but she was unable to distinguish any differences between the three sets, although she thought that the pics from the T4 were just the slightest bit sharper in some pictures but certainly not across the board. All that to say that the Classic 120 has a very impressive lens and like you, the results surprised me.</p>