Canon software

julie_anne

<p>Just curious, do people upload their photos to the canon software and then upload it into lightroom/photoshop or do people use the canon software at all? I feel like I'm losing quality in my photos and I'm wondering if I'm just skipping a step that I have never done before. Right now I'm just plugging in my SD card into my computer and then importing directly into lightroom. The SD card has been formatted for the camera. </p>

<p>Some of the Canon software will allow you to download images from the card and simultaneously name, number etc. It can save steps and be handy. Or you can just drag the folder off the card and use Bridge to do the same and more.<br /> Nothing at all wrong with the Canon software, though. It's amazingly good if you don't have a high-end graphics program like Photoshop, and it is free.</p>

<p>It shouldn't have anything at all to do with image quality degradation if the settings are correct. If you have somehow set it to save smaller or more compressed files, then reset the software to default and correct that in the preferences and controls.</p>

<ul>

<li>What Canon model do you have?</li>

<li>What computer and operating system version do you have?</li>

</ul>

<p>Both of those can effect what run and doesn't. I guess you're not blaming the Canon software then for the poor images. At the Canon support site, they do have upgrades for such software. It is NOT necessary to use it.</p>

<p><br /> As far as Lightroom goes, the same problems of settings can occur that I refer to above - check your settings and make sure you are not importing at poorer jpg settings or at inferior resolutions.<br /> Good luck.</p>

<p>Yes, what current Canon software can download photos from a SD card placed in the card reader of a Windows 10 PC laptop? EOS Utility seems to want the SD card in the camera and USB tethered to the laptop. But that is cumbersome and slow. I don't see current versions of Zoombrowser or Imagebrowser available. And DPP 4.5 doesn't look like it has any function to import from an SD card reader? Maybe I am overlooking something? </p>

<p>I just made a test. I imported pictures from a SD card 3 times.<br>

One through the old Canon Zoombrowser, one through Lightroom CC, and one just draging the files from the card to the computer (Windows 10).<br>

The firt two gave a new name to each files.<br>

Each files stayed exactly identical in size, etc.<br>

The camera is the Canon T6s (760D).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use the Canon software very often, but just to process the Raw files. To bring the files from cameras to computers, I always use Windows (or Mac OS), starting from Windows 95, never use the camera software (or any Photo editing software) to do that, except for the very old cameras (that are very rare now).</p>

<p>After my last computer update I haven't installed Canon software (yet) and frankly I don't miss it. I have not seen a significant image quality difference between Lightroom and Canon's DPP. Only used the latter for some diagnostic tests, to see the AF points the camera used. And now I think of it, for some lens corrections, for lenses that are not supported by Adobe (one or two older lenses). <br>

No real need to use/install Canon software. On the other hand I've never experienced problems installing DPP or other Canon software but I keep my operating system more or less up to date (Windows 10 64 bit).</p>

I use Bridge to download my photos. I have two USB cables attached all the time, the USB2 for a 7D2 and the usual

micro (?) USB for other cameras and my GoPro.

There's no doubt the jpg direct from the cameras are not quite as good as the jpgs from processing the RAW files, but

many publications want in-camera jpgs. I like to prepare prints from processed RAW files.

<p>If you have LR, then the only Canon software that you might need additionally to maximize your IQ, is Digital Photo Professional, if you shoot in Raw. We can debate forever whether LR, DPP, DxO, ACR, etc. does the best job of Raw conversion, but some think that DPP is the very best. I think it's good, but I use DxO. MOST people use LR or ACR for their Raw conversion. If you don't know what I"m talking about when I say, "Raw conversion", then it doesn't matter if you skip all the Canon software.</p>

<p>All of these software have different strong points. Some are pure Raw converters, some include organizing elements that some love and others hate, etc., etc.</p>