discontinued in 1998 or so. What I'm wondering is (and Canon's

service line is of no use here, all they say is they still service it

"at this point") how long does Canon USA generally service their

products after they've been discontinued, before they give out with

the "parts no longer available" spiel? The price on the lens is good

but not such that I'd consider it disposible if something went wrong

say a year or two from now. Thanks if anyone has had any experience

in this area.

It depends when parts run out. On that subject your guess is as good as mine. I don't know how many parts are shared with the 300/4L IS, but I suspect that quite a few are.

Basically you're not going to get an answer to your question, because nobody (I suspect not even Canon) knows for sure.

I've owned the 300/4L ever since it came out and it's never given me any trouble at all. It's a great lens.

I agree completely with Bob. (If you ever disagree with him, you better make sure you have your facts straight!)

As long as Canon still provides service *today* for the used lens you want to buy, go ahead and get it, and have them check it out and fix any problems. If you take good care of your gear, it'll likely be the last service it needs.

Bob, um, the IS a completely different optical formula with twice as many elements and a much closer focus so I think it might be a long shot if any of the glass is interchangable, and I know the IS has a locking hood whereas the non-IS doesn't, and also that the tripod collars are different. The IS has a different switch panel and pretty sure it must have a different CPU chip. The barrells look different too in pictures. So maybe the rear lens flange and the plastic lens caps are in common but I can't imagine what else. I'm not really worried about if I drop it down a flight of stairs, insurance would cover that. I'm just concerned if the electronics (AF, diaphragm) goes belly up. Does Canon service things up until they run out of parts or do they have a set time limit after which they just refuse to service it?

Jon, if I send it to Canon for a checkup how much does that cost? If it's a couple hundred bucks I may as well just pony up the rest of the way for the IS model.

I would expect 11 years of trouble-free service from it too...if it were new. However as I mentioned, it's not, and though the glass looks good and it doesn't look like it's been beat to heck and everything works fine, there's obviously no way I can know how much life is left in this particular one. The store gives me a 90 day warranty so that's ok too. It's just that if next January it develops a glitch and Canon tells me "sorry we no longer have part # xxxxxx so your lens is unrepairable" I'm out almost $800. I could get a brand-new USA-warranty IS from B&H for $1149, so you see my dilemma.

The IS lens has twice as many elements because it has the IS grouping. It's quite possible that some of the same elements are used in both lenses. The optical arrangement of the front of the lens (the first 8 elements) is very similar in both lenses, it's just that the IS lens adds a complex 8 element group at the back of the lens just for the IS functions. I'm not saying that the fist 8 elements are identaical, just that the optical layout is very similar.

It's possible that there are other common elements too, such as the iris assembly and maybe the focus motor. That may be more important as unless you're pretty clumsy, the elements won't ever need to be replaced!

Anyway, I really wouldn't worry about it if you want the 300/4L. It's a very reliable lens. Sure you might get unlucky, but the odds are pretty small. If you don't feel lucky, just fork out the extra $400-$500 for the IS version.

Canon used to give a 10-year warranty on the availability of spare parts for professional equipment (1-serie cameras and -series lenses). I once had a problem with a camera which the Canon repair centre said they couldn't repair. A Canon manager stepped in telling me about the 10-year period, the camera was sent in again and came back repaired within a few days. Not sure if they still hold that.

Thanks guys for everything. I checked and I can get a new USA IS from B&H for $1199 which is only $350 more than that used non-IS after I figure in CA and local sales tax vs shipping. I get IS, a closer focus, plus peace of mind. The discontinuation date of the non-IS is just a bit too close to that 10-year mark. If it were mint and $500 I'd probably chance it though. Now watch, my IS will probably be the one lemon in a million :*(